Where ARE the Noldor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sometimes they chase either Empire lords, bandits or Snakes into the Empire, too, but if you are in the early part of the game, they probably haven't spawned yet.

They´re out there in the woods... hiding everywhere... bushes, trees, holes in the ground, stones.... sneaking up your back with arrows ready... creeping around in the dark to get you.

Just move from the easternmost Empire territory directly over into northern Ravenstern bypassing Sarleon on it´s norther border. You´ll cross the deep forests of Laria and first cross deep Noldor territory (harvest ripe companies for prisoners, loot and rescuees) - release noldor prisoners to get your relations back to +1 or 0 again with them for further save journey - finally coming into deep Jatu territory.

Which is the part where you use up your freshly acquired soldiers to get a few of these damn Jatu and more fresh soldiers. The trick is to catch the 5 Jatu 200 prisoner warbands next to an army so they feel strong enough to engage you and don´t run but are still too far off the main army to be any real danger.

And if you´re a real sadist, just kite the good old Noldor into the damnable Jatu and join the treehuggers.

noosers said:
They´re out there in the woods... hiding everywhere... bushes, trees, holes in the ground, stones.... sneaking up your back with arrows ready... creeping around in the dark to get you. 

Got to hate those Stone-dwelling noldor or Noldor pygmies, they strike fear into the most hardened of men.

By far the most interesting thing i've read from you hehe.  :eek:

I've just had my first-ever fight against the Noldor a couple hours ago.

I won, but casualties on my side was staggering. It did not help that my Maidens do not fight well in the hilly-forested terrain. It's like Teutoberg Forest all over again.

Besides, to add insult to injury, my guy got knocked out in the process and his 9 looting skill came not nil. All I got from the whole bloody business was a cracked Noldor bow my guy could loot from, like, any forest bandit group with a Rogue Knight...

Argeus the Paladin said:
I've just had my first-ever fight against the Noldor a couple hours ago.

I won, but casualties on my side was staggering. It did not help that my Maidens do not fight well in the hilly-forested terrain. It's like Teutoberg Forest all over again.

Besides, to add insult to injury, my guy got knocked out in the process and his 9 looting skill came not nil. All I got from the whole bloody business was a cracked Noldor bow my guy could loot from, like, any forest bandit group with a Rogue Knight...

Yeah the Noldor are a tough crowd but let me share with you a few things you can do to even the odds. Step one is to get yourself a Noldor spirit horse, its the only way you can keep up with those fools, particularly important if you rely on melee/lancing fighting style.

At the start of every campaign i gather about 50 men and go hunting for small Noldor armies, find a 15-25 strong army and you're in buisness. The fight is won easily with 50 troops so i will continue to fight this small army until it produces a Spirit horse in the loot, usually no more than 10 fights with looting at 9.

With that out of the way you are more equipped to fight larger Noldor armies, though they will still wreak havoc to your army. One useful tactic i stumbled upon while fighting Aeldarian (Noldor hero spawn) and the best way to counter their Nobles, Maidens and Twilight knights is to station your troops at the edge of the battle-map for the initial charge. This makes the noldor cavalry bunch-up and usually run into the edge of the map where they are an easy target for your heavy infantry.

The most dangerous aspect of Noldor armies is their ability to out-run, out-maneuver and generally use hit and run techniques, even when you have 200 HA's against 10 Nobles you'll see how the Nobles kite the slow cavalry around while effectively slaughtering them from horseback, so the last thing you want to do is a full Cavalry charge.

With your army situated at the edge of the battlefield in a concentrated mass, all their shields will be facing forward, ultimately meaning they cannot be flanked by melee or missile. Once the Noldor cavalry charge into yours they are effectively immobilized, their horses cannot move and its just a matter of having some able infantry hack them and their horses to bits.

With the Noldor cavalry dispatched, its time to unleash your heavy cavalry and decimate the poor infantry.

This tactic proudly brought to you by Cracka's exploits inc.  :mrgreen:

noosers said:
They've always shot me in the face, though.

I've gotta remember to stay BEHIND my horsemen, not run in front, even if my horse is the fastest in the whole party >.>

Cracka said:

So you´re using lamearse cheesy cheapo tactics on a regular basis but complain in the other post about more meat to grind?

I´ll have to edit my post there once more I reckon. Just play without exploits or use a different approach of your player style - eg. cease to quit playing as horsearcher or lancer and try as all infantry commander or foot archer. Plenty of fun out there without tweaking or exploiting game mechanics.

strange, i don't find them so difficult to kill.
Am a pure mounted archer, skill on bow something like 485 by now.
on initial charge a couple, then chasing, then anyone on foot about to shoot my ass,
then any Noldor on foot busy arrowing pals.

Oddly enough, i check always the after-battle counter and i usually kill lots -just numbers, nothing of a boast here-, mostly i killed almost half of the total -not just with Noldors-...
Is that normal?
Seems to me but chasing enemies to melee, one by one, gets too long and meanwhile our lads sometimes get killed. I try to neutralize first the most dangerous threats, then the rest.
When in trouble i just get the hell outta there, and when some of my lads in trouble, say, a de-horsed companion or valuable troop surrounded by bladesman, i just charge and slash a couple with 2h saber,
turn and arrow the disperse.
Sure, i being redundant here, but is the way i play, most people just will go for long chasing melee.

There are some HA (both), the centurions, lady valkyries, some mixed jatu, few rogue (and foreign) knights,
and fewer singalian temptresses, noldor nobles, ravstrn mounted ranger and knight of RS.
Maybe is the mix?

I hardly use any infantry but when in serious campaign, factions war, that is.
Usually a blend of d'shar bladesman, fsvn heavy archers and armored axeman + Huscarls.
Sometimes i add a small number of rvstrn rangers, berserks and kierguards.

BTW---> dont seem to me "exploits" or "tweaks", im just feel comftabl with bow, perhaps, nothing wrong with it.

noosers said:
Cracka said:

So you´re using lamearse cheesy cheapo tactics on a regular basis but complain in the other post about more meat to grind?

I´ll have to edit my post there once more I reckon. Just play without exploits or use a different approach of your player style - eg. cease to quit playing as horsearcher or lancer and try as all infantry commander or foot archer. Plenty of fun out there without tweaking or exploiting game mechanics.

You know i'm quite fed up with your negative posts, all you want is to pick a fight ... are you that bored ?

I realize Fawzia is your friend and it would seem my comments in my other topic ruffled your feathers but there's no need to be nasty and criticize my playing methods.

My preference of battlefield tactics uses no cheats, only the tools that were given and i enjoy out-smarting the AI instead of sending my men to a massacre. In fact all these tactics could be applied in a real life battle, some commanders like to use their brains instead of a meat-shield.

Once again you're confusing difficulty with density, that tactic/exploit is Noldor specific and nowhere do i say others have to use it or that it is better than any other method. You seem to like degrading and bad-mouthing my input at every chance you get, its not for you to decide whats best for me, i play the game how i want and am not forcing others to do the same.

I'm not sure at which point you started hating me/my style of play but i refuse to feed your insatiable hunger for controversy. 

Cracka said:
My preference of battlefield tactics uses no cheats
He never said they did.
only the tools that were given and i enjoy out-smarting the AI instead of sending my men to a massacre. In fact all these tactics could be applied in a real life battle, some commanders like to use their brains instead of a meat-shield.
Of course, in real life there is an invisible barrier capable of stopping horses (and people, but more rarely) in their tracks around every battlefield that only you seem to be capable of avoiding with any regularity.
Once again you're confusing difficulty with density
They are linked, surely? If the battles are harder, then you can't kill your enemies as quickly, meaning more remain. Meaning the density is reduced less quickly and so reaches higher levels.

Really, all he did was point out exploiting the barrier that's seemingly indetectable to the AI is, arguably, an exploit, and also that there are more difficult ways of playing that would make the game more difficult and so provide the greater density of enemies.

SomeRandomEvilGuy said:
He never said they did.

No, but the implication is clearly there.

Of course, in real life there is an invisible barrier capable of stopping horses (and people, but more rarely) in their tracks around every battlefield that only you seem to be capable of avoiding with any regularity.

I regret i have to actually explain how these mechanics could be applied in the real world but here goes:

Leading cavalry through unsuitable terrain, hidden spike fences, a rock face .. yes these things actually immobilize cavalry in real life, unless you know of horses that can ride through solid stone or fly over a chasm. 

They are linked, surely? If the battles are harder, then you can't kill your enemies as quickly, meaning more remain. Meaning the density is reduced less quickly and so reaches higher levels.

Really, all he did was point out exploiting the barrier that's seemingly indetectable to the AI is, arguably, an exploit, and also that there are more difficult ways of playing that would make the game more difficult and so provide the greater density of enemies.

Difficulty does substitute for density to a minor degree, still not at the magnitude that actually makes a difference, i also made it abundantly clear that what i would like is bigger army spawns and more of them, not what Noosers thinks i want, it does not help my situation at all.

Cracka said:

I regret i have to actually explain how these mechanics could be applied in the real world but here goes:

Leading cavalry through unsuitable terrain, hidden spike fences, a rock face .. yes these things actually immobilize cavalry in real life, unless you know of horses that can ride through solid stone or fly over a chasm. 

And i regret to tell you, that it have nothing in common with the invisible barrier, besides it stops a cavalry charge. If you can make the invisible barrier a strategy that isn't an exploit of the game, by saying you could make traps for that in the real world... i simply just don't know what to say. Hidden spike fences is something you would put there, not just something that is there in a square all around the battlefield. No matter how you look at it, using the Invisible Barrier to win battles against a charging cavalry army, is exploiting the game.

Cracka said:
No, but the implication is clearly there.
Only because of parallels between exploits and cheats.

What Footy said.
Difficulty does substitute for density to a minor degree, still not at the magnitude that actually makes a difference, i also made it abundantly clear that what i would like is bigger army spawns and more of them, not what Noosers thinks i want, it does not help my situation at all.
Fair enough. I thought you were talking of the first hundred days or so, though? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Footy said:
Cracka said:

And i regret to tell you, that it have nothing in common with the invisible barrier, besides it stops a cavalry charge. If you can make the invisible barrier a strategy that isn't an exploit of the game, by saying you could make traps for that in the real world... i simply just don't know what to say. Hidden spike fences is something you would put there, not just something that is there in a square all around the battlefield. No matter how you look at it, using the Invisible Barrier to win battles against a charging cavalry army, is exploiting the game.

Well we cannot use what we haven't got ... sometimes you have to use your imagination.

Secondly, i actually referred to it being an exploit when i posted it, what is your point exactly ?

My point was, that you tried to justify the use of it. But no matter how you look at it, as you say yourself, it is exploiting the game. You say its using your brain... yes that's true, but the game wasn't made for using that wall. Then you also refer to the real world, where you could have made hidden spike fences... but tehn again, the game wasn't made that way to have such things. So no, you can't ''justify'' it with those things.

Footy said:
My point was, that you tried to justify the use of it. But no matter how you look at it, as you say yourself, it is exploiting the game. You say its using your brain... yes that's true, but the game wasn't made for using that wall. Then you also refer to the real world, where you could have made hidden spike fences... but tehn again, the game wasn't made that way to have such things. So no, you can't ''justify'' it with those things.

You're entitled to your opinion, although i disagree with your logic, i really only have to justify it to myself that is all that really matters.

As i said, i diden't force anyone to do the same, it was merely a suggestion but i really don't see how my suggestion necessitates all this negative derogatory feedback from noosers, why doesen't he just hold up a big red sign saying *Ahhahaha cheater big fat exploit using cheater* next time, or better yet a signature that makes everyone fully aware if you don't play the game exactly the way Noosers does you're cheating, that would save him a lot of time.  :wink: 

Back
Top Bottom