Where are the ladies at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NordCat

Recruit
I don't really play Mount and Blade for making a family, or finding a spouse, but it just bums me that there are maybe 2 ladies in an entire faction and all the castles are near enough empty all the time?!
Do you guys relate?

There are quite a few ladies, have you checked through the encyclopedia (N)? They're not like the ladies in Warband who sit on their ass all day; a lot of them are roaming the map leading their own troops.

You have a split as you say there are two or 3 per faction of the classic warband ladies sat in castles as governors but there are also a ton of them leading armies in every faction (+they are better at fighting/leading armies)

There are quite a few ladies, have you checked through the encyclopedia (N)? They're not like the ladies in Warband who sit on their ass all day; a lot of them are roaming the map leading their own troops.
I didn't know that. I saw a couple but they are usually not able to get to know you as much, because they already have a noble as their husband.

You have a split as you say there are two or 3 per faction of the classic warband ladies sat in castles as governors but there are also a ton of them leading armies in every faction (+they are better at fighting/leading armies)
I guess I'm just too used to Warband haha. Thanks for the reply!

I didn't know that. I saw a couple but they are usually not able to get to know you as much, because they already have a noble as their husband.

Check through their age and family. Older ones (usually 40+) have husbands, but they also have a daughter or 2.

a lot of them are roaming the map leading their own troops.

This isn't something I am fond of. Not everyone wants to marry Xena warrior princess. The only woman you would find on a medieval battlefield was Joan of Arc. She was crazy and they burned her at the stake for wearing men's pants.

This isn't something I am fond of. Not everyone wants to marry Xena warrior princess. The only woman you would find on a medieval battlefield was Joan of Arc. She was crazy and they burned her at the stake for wearing men's pants.

It's not like all of them are generals. We also have some noncombatants to choose from, and probably more to come since this is only early alpha. Most likely they implemented the warriors first for gameplay.

Also, Joan of Arc was not the only one, just the most well known. Women were a minority in warfare at the time, but they showed up enough to be quite noticeable. Hell, feudal Japan even had their own class of warrior women.

Taleworlds being PC I guess.

or just don't give as much ****s as people on the internet. Not everything you dislike is PC or any other empty, meaningless label thrown around. I am so sick of people thinking labels are arguments.

gee, women are now 20% instead of 5% of characters in male dominated genres of 30 years ago. We are all going to die, obviously, it's the end times, we have the plague and everything. Seriously, don't go outside. :wink:

Also, Joan of Arc was not the only one, just the most well known. Women were a minority in warfare at the time, but they showed up enough to be quite noticeable. Hell, feudal Japan even had their own class of warrior women.

The most interesting part about Joan D'Arc is that her family successfully appealed to the Pope to have the Inquisition review her court case and the Inquisition ruled it a mistrial based on judicial misconduct, false evidence and wrong court procedure, removing all blemishes from her in her parent's lifetime. Yes, actually, that is boring, but fascinatingly boring in how bureaucratic it was.

or just don't give as much ****s as people on the internet. Not everything you dislike is PC or any other empty, meaningless label thrown around. I am so sick of people thinking labels are arguments.

gee, women are now 20% instead of 5% of characters in male dominated genres of 30 years ago. We are all going to die, obviously, it's the end times, we have the plague and everything. Seriously, don't go outside. :wink:

The most interesting part about Joan D'Arc is that her family successfully appealed to the Pope to have the Inquisition review her court case and the Inquisition ruled it a mistrial based on judicial misconduct, false evidence and wrong court procedure, removing all blemishes from her in her parent's lifetime. Yes, actually, that is boring, but fascinatingly boring in how bureaucratic it was.
I do think it is PC. Mount & Blade has always tried to portray the culture of the middle ages. In Warband, they even had minor penalties for female player characters to capture this dilemma. With that being said, it doesn't stop me from enjoying Bannerlord. I do hope for more traditional "ladies" to be introduced to the game, however, I also would like to see more courtiers in general to be added (male and female) -- the castles are far to bare bones.

As for the second part of your comment, that is truly fascinating about Joan of Arc's court appeal -- given the time period and political turmoil in Europe. I'm going to be researching more into it, so thank you :smile:

If you haven't noticed, this game isn't set in modern times. It was a little different then. Women leading armies wasn't normal then or now.

Yeah, the bishop who burned her was tied to the English, and did it mainly as a political act because he was being bribed. She was eventually canonized as a saint. It's annoying that it's often told as a tale of Catholic religious misogyny when it was more about temporal matters that corrupted a spiritual leader. Her appeals to the Pope were ignored and covered up and she was put into a prison with men, when she should have been tended to by nuns to protect her from rape (which is mainly why she insisted on wearing pants in prison). The clergy who took part in the trial were threatened by the English lords, and the same case which exonerated her also condemned the pro-English bishop who presided over the case.

It was more or less a political lynching of a prisoner of war, and was condemned by the larger Church in short order (when you consider communication and the glacial pace at which things generally moved back then).

this conversation has derailed from OP's question, which has also been answered, and so this thread will be locked.

the fact of the matter is, the game is in a fictional setting and creative liberty gives taleworlds the freedom to make the characters they want. you can like that or not, but it's how it is and how the game will be and discussions about it just devolve into useless flaming. if it's such a big deal for any of you, you can mod the game per your preference or learn get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom