Where are all the banners?

Users who are viewing this thread

RoboSenshi

Grandmaster Knight
It seems like every Gamescom I have a problem with something banner related.

This year I'm a little worried about the complete disappearance of banners in battles with no explanation. To refresh the memory, this is what it looked like before:

EvaWVR3.jpg
1ND6HKy.jpg
3ZqfDgu.jpg
7Cw0s4k.jpg
UrOehuE.jpg

Just look at those glorious flowing banners. Now in battles they've been removed for some reason and it looks so much worse without them. Last time I got an answer from Armagan maybe I can get some clarification this time as well.

That appears to be one of several graphical downgrades, the water in the videos looks to be similar to Warband while the water in 2016-2018 looked real.

Seleucid said:
That appears to be one of several graphical downgrades, the water in the videos looks to be similar to Warband while the water in 2016-2018 looked real.
The water is clearly not final.
As for other graphical downgrades, I really don't know what you're talking about. The lighting has clearly been improved since last Gamescom too.

I do miss the banners though.

One explanation could be the that they are not optimized enough (if they purely relied on clothing animations, that is), so taking them away during Gamescom would seem reasonable in that sense. I do miss them too, they did bring certain atmosphere.

Noudelle said:
Seleucid said:
As for other graphical downgrades, I really don't know what you're talking about. The lighting has clearly been improved since last Gamescom too.

Compared to lkast gamescon and earlier screenshots  the water is worse. But generally they have imporved the graphics so why that particular downgrade.

mr.master said:
One explanation could be the that they are not optimized enough (if they purely relied on clothing animations, that is), so taking them away during Gamescom would seem reasonable in that sense. I do miss them too, they did bring certain atmosphere.
I doubt that's the reason. There's already tons of physically animated objects present at the demo. I don't see how banners specifically could cause performance issues.
I think the reason is that they're having trouble making the NPCs that carry them behave properly as bannerlords bannerholders bannerfellas. The AI seems to have issues when it comes to which weapon they should be holding. Horsemen in particular don't seem to know what lances are for.

Here's my idea: Make bannerfellas hold the banner at all times except when directly engaged in combat. Make the bannerfella try to stay at the center of his unit with the banner, giving a morale boost to surrounding soldiers.
We know morale plays a pretty big role in battles in Bannerlord. I think this could add a little depth to the battles. Defending your bannerfellas as well as targeting the enemy's.

Seleucid said:
Noudelle said:
Seleucid said:

Compared to lkast gamescon and earlier screenshots  the water is worse. But generally they have imporved the graphics so why that particular downgrade.
I 100% agree that the water looks terrible now. But I don't think 'downgrade' is the right word to describe it. They're most likely reworking water reflections entirely, it currently being in an unfinished stage. I don't know. This is conjecture.
Whatever it is, there's no way they would allow the water to look so terrible in the final product.

And that is likely the reason they are taking so long remaking things that are perfectly fine. However it is somewhat strange that they show inferior graphics when they could use the better ones they previously had.

RoboSenshi said:
It seems like every Gamescom I have a problem with something banner related.

This year I'm a little worried about the complete disappearance of banners in battles with no explanation. To refresh the memory, this is what it looked like before:

EvaWVR3.jpg
1ND6HKy.jpg
3ZqfDgu.jpg
7Cw0s4k.jpg
UrOehuE.jpg

Just look at those glorious flowing banners. Now in battles they've been removed for some reason and it looks so much worse without them. Last time I got an answer from Armagan maybe I can get some clarification this time as well.

Just like cloth physic and inverse kinematic, cuted from the game.

the game should be renamed : Mount and Blade II : NoBannerlord

RoboSenshi said:
[...]
3ZqfDgu.jpg
[...]

Particularly in this screenshot, the Vlandians look really great, not just because of the banners, but the heraldry too. I get that the new simple, strong colours are for better readability of the field, but I'd prefer this look. You'd just have to learn the noble's colours and devices to identify troops on the field.

John C said:
RoboSenshi said:
[...]
3ZqfDgu.jpg
[...]

Particularly in this screenshot, the Vlandians look really great, not just because of the banners, but the heraldry too. I get that the new simple, strong colours are for better readability of the field, but I'd prefer this look. You'd just have to learn the noble's colours and devices to identify troops on the field.

I totally agree with you, but sadly the devs don't. Armagan feels like it would overload the new players with too much stuff to learn. Again, I agree with you and I would much rather be confused at the start a little bit and admire the beautiful banners in the end.

John C said:
RoboSenshi said:
[...]
3ZqfDgu.jpg
[...]

So disappointing...

I havent watched anything yet, but it really grieves me. Its the damn title, why no banners?
It would be ideal if the ai soldiers held banners and managed to fight, but i would not mind if the banners got "stuck to their backs" so as not to conflict with soldier behaviour and longevity. I would not mind that, even if it looks a bit bad, so long as the banners are still there.

God bless modding community, I bet my ass they'll work it out even in early access

Looks like those bigger banners are just attached at some NPC's back, floating arround, no needing to have a equipped banner. You can see this on minute 1:01, when a horseman passes by with a banner on his back.

In fact, I do believe in performance issues, because from the gameplays I saw from Gamescom '19, looks like they're having frame-rate issues. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but i got this feeling that sometimes the game wasn't running smoothly as the official gameplay demos released by TW (vlandian and khuzait skirmish battle).

Horik6697 said:
Looks like those bigger banners are just attached at some NPC's back, floating arround, no needing to have a equipped banner. You can see this on minute 1:01, when a horseman passes by with a banner on his back.

In fact, I do believe in performance issues, because from the gameplays I saw from Gamescom '19, looks like they're having frame-rate issues. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but i got this feeling that sometimes the game wasn't running smoothly as the official gameplay demos released by TW (vlandian and khuzait skirmish battle).
The game almost certainly has a lot of performance issues right now, but I don't believe that banner physics is something that would be a cause. Not if other physically animated objects such as cloth aren't either.

Noudelle said:
Horik6697 said:

The game almost certainly has a lot of performance issues right now, but I don't believe that banner physics is something that would be a cause. Not if other physically animated objects such as cloth aren't either.

To be honest any small piece of cloth and animated banners/flags could definitely cause some form of performance issues. Everything from the moving hair of a horse to the dust particles will all effect performance in some way, shape, or form.

swwatter said:
Noudelle said:
Horik6697 said:

To be honest any small piece of cloth and animated banners/flags could definitely cause some form of performance issues. Everything from the moving hair of a horse to the dust particles will all effect performance in some way, shape, or form.
Performance impact but not necessarily issues. Again, considering how many physically animated objects there are, I highly doubt that they would remove banners for that reason. Because if banners cause issues, other physically animated objects also would.

Noudelle said:
swwatter said:
Noudelle said:
Horik6697 said:

Performance impact but not necessarily issues. Again, considering how many physically animated objects there are, I highly doubt that they would remove banners for that reason. Because if banners cause issues, other physically animated objects also would.

Dude, if the thing causes a big performance impact, it becomes a issue. Ragdoll physics runs even in cellphones nowadays, but cloth meshes are quite demanding. Getting some extra fps in a expo is a very fair deal.

--

Yes, ofc the game will have performance issues now, but I was expecting something more like what we saw on the official gameplay video. Even if the case is about different system specs, I don't think that gamescom's PCs are something below Top High End Machines... Anyway, I'm not exactly complaining, just pointing some differences in gameplay...

Back
Top Bottom