When is Bannerlord playable?

Users who are viewing this thread

I've found no game crashing bugs that have made bannerlord unplayable. (I crashed once playing one of the board games)

I see nothing that makes the game unplayable. Although there are certainly bugs, QOL issues, and lack of information that make bannerlord less enjoyable.
  • Archers mindlessly face a few cav in open battles
  • Various QOL features like: recruit all, upgrade all, sort troops
  • Information on how the game works: Children, aging, character death, parties, armies, castles (Still don't know if I can recruit prisoners in castle dungeons),
  • And information on what doesn't work: Certain perks, character death, certain quests
  • Balancing issues: items worth more than fiefs, vlandia vs world
Despite these issues, and this is just off the top of my head I'm sure there is more, bannerlord is COMPLETELY PLAYABLE and I plan on PLAYING bannerlord for a long time, I'm really excited to play as my brother or kids I just have to figure out how to get myself killed...

I'm really excited to play as my brother or kids I just have to figure out how to get myself killed...
If I remember correctly, it was quoted in another forum post that your character will eventually die of old age and the next in line (wife or kids generally) can take over. With death enabled supposedly your character can die as well, but I believe that part is not yet fully implemented.

It has been so massive, I've heard the slap from here in Spain. :lol:
Such a long time Terco! How are things? hahaha
Have you bought BL yet? I did out of boredom due to Covid, locked at home in Italy hahaha
At least I was able to move to Europe as I've had said I would. Anyway, game's """""playable""""" but only really "playable" with a crap-load of mods, else you're stuck in a early-mid game loop. :*

If I remember correctly, it was quoted in another forum post that your character will eventually die of old age and the next in line (wife or kids generally) can take over. With death enabled supposedly your character can die as well, but I believe that part is not yet fully implemented.

At what age does in game death occur? And how many actual hours would that be? 84 days in a year, running at 2x speed 20s is one day.

20 * 84 = 1680 seconds = 28 minutes for one year

The oldest noble I've found is 56 so that's 26 in game years for death.

26 * 28 minutes = 728 hours = 30 real life days.

30 IRL days 2x idle running bannerlord seems a wee too long for my tastes personally... I've nearly conquered all of Caladria on the hardest difficulty and I'm 36 (My first playthrough).

26 * 28 minutes = 728 hours = 30 real life days.

30 IRL days 2x idle running bannerlord seems a wee too long for my tastes personally... I've nearly conquered all of Caladria on the hardest difficulty and I'm 36 (My first playthrough).

26 * 28 minutes = 728 minutes, not 728 hours

728 minutes = 12 hours 8 minutes

I'm not the original poster but I can answer this one.

Things present in Bannerlord NOT in Warband:
Clans: Family trees, marriages that produce heirs, family influence tiers, the influence system in general, clans giving the player the ability to field multiple armies
Economy: The creation of caravans (two types of them now), more dynamic workshops (i.e. not just spamming dyeworks and tanneries), food stores per castle/town actually mattering
Castles/Town Upgrade: Different paths and upgrades that actually dynamically affect the castle and those garrisoning it. Food supplies actually mattering for the survival of a city under siege, etc.
Influence: Being able to get other lords to follow you and join your army reliably by spending influence points, Being able to vote on who gets the castle/town in a more dynamic way than just one (seemingly meaningless) vote per lord
Skill Tree: While these are not fully implemented at the moment there was no such tree in warband, just a matter of plugging points into skills every three levels, this system once fully implemented I feel has the potential to be much more dynamic than warband's
Death: Execution and death for both companions and other lords

I am surely missing a few features in this non-exhaustive list, but I believe it's fair to say that Bannerlord has plenty more features than Warband does. While not all of them are fully implemented/working at the moment, once they are and even in its current state Bannerlord is far more dynamic than the Vanilla Warband.
Well, improvements should be a given, but there are still very questionable game designs that are finished.

Battles: 500v500 last 5 mins most of the time, and the lack of AI intelligence to counter even the most basic tactics makes battles stale after a while. Really all there is to say, it needs adjusting and given smarter tactical AI.

Influence: Contrary to your point, influence can easily stack after realizing the easiest ways of obtaining it your first few playthroughs, to the point where army spending is trivial and voting is rigged in a way that is completely out of the hands of the player. Back in WB, you could ask lords who they support, and they would give you a reason why. It gave personality to them when they would respond with a compassionate, logical or outright merciless reason, whereas here currently lords are as stale as can be. No player interaction other than clicking on how much influence you want to spend is as far as it goes for voting, with votes being finished within the day, meaning no lord persuasions and inner turmoil that would be long enough for an enemy army to gather and retake the castle.

Army: Overall upgrade from WB, but still very bland and takes away one of the things that made WB amazing... the all or nothing battles. Instead of gathering 3-4 armies and coming at you in waves when you invade enemy territory in BL, WB had it so that the ONE marshal would amass as many vassals as possible, leading to MASSIVE battles for WB standards. Unlike the winner of those battles, where after you could be prideful and continue on into enemy territory/continue protecting, in BL army cooperation doesn't exist, leading to different armies of 500 coming at you one at a time. It becomes tedious because you know it could be so much harder, but instead, you steamroll each one by raining archer fire onto them to the point that your inf line instantly breaks the enemy.

A lot of castle/town upgrades are obsolete like garrison increase and training:
Garrison: Keeping more than 100 troops in a garrison in Native is almost impossible because of the food situation.
Training: 3xp for lvl 3 training fields when ONE recruit requires over 500xp.

Some areas are just strange game design, or very uninspired. Still, there are unfinished areas that I hope will be fine in the coming months and full release. I just hope they continue listening to the community.

to me I need xp increase mods, else it's insufferable to play the game. The grind is too hard, I'd try tweaking the overall xp up by 50% to 250% and narrow down through testing the most organic rates. The default is not organic, it feels too grindy, kinda reminded me of my days in Mortal Online, so I've snapped... Now I'm just cheating with 5x XP, makes the game more fun, but it's also a bit broken with such a high rate. Realistically, though, you may never really be able to achieve the final perk on any tree with lower rates, you'll be forced to grind the skill like a moron, want to test that cool "arrow deflecting" perk? Good luck, see you in a month or so, I'll also recommend your doc to prescribe a inflammatory pill for the tendinitis

I appreciate you telling your experience, and want to add that I feel the contrary. I like the experience gain rate, and only wish there were native options to train troops outside of battles as well; training fields, paying to train units in an arena (for a free, you spend time and units have a chance to get hurt during training). But if you are talking primarily or only about the skills and perks, I still think it's at a good rate. You just need to do different things to gain skills.

Such a long time Terco! How are things? hahaha
Have you bought BL yet? I did out of boredom due to Covid, locked at home in Italy hahaha
At least I was able to move to Europe as I've had said I would. Anyway, game's """""playable""""" but only really "playable" with a crap-load of mods, else you're stuck in a early-mid game loop. :*
wild offtopic

source.gif

My boi! Just as bad here as in Italy I imagine :lol: ; I send you a very strong hug, forza!?

I'm trying the game since the first day but without playing "seriously" (due to the current instability of the system). Although there are aspects of the game that fascinate me (many), there are others that worry me (quite a few). One of them is the Ai and everything related to tactics in the battlefield and formations; currently it doesn't work as I would like in either SP or MP captain mode (I know that devs are actively working on it). And the other one is the MP section, even though I don't consider myself a pro player; I think the MP hasn't had the attention it should in terms of all the feedback we proposed during the alpha-beta period. And now, sadly, you can see its effects making a dent in your day-to-day life.

wild offtopic

source.gif

My boi! Just as bad here as in Italy I imagine :lol: ; I send you a very strong hug, forza!?

I'm trying the game since the first day but without playing "seriously" (due to the current instability of the system). Although there are aspects of the game that fascinate me (many), there are others that worry me (quite a few). One of them is the Ai and everything related to tactics in the battlefield and formations; currently it doesn't work as I would like in either SP or MP captain mode (I know that devs are actively working on it). And the other one is the MP section, even though I don't consider myself a pro player; I think the MP hasn't had the attention it should in terms of all the feedback we proposed during the alpha-beta period. And now, sadly, you can see its effects making a dent in your day-to-day life.
"God save us!" "They are too stronk!" (I'm sure both of these are going to become memes soon™)

I'm not the original poster but I can answer this one.

Things present in Bannerlord NOT in Warband:
Clans: Family trees, marriages that produce heirs, family influence tiers, the influence system in general, clans giving the player the ability to field multiple armies
Economy: The creation of caravans (two types of them now), more dynamic workshops (i.e. not just spamming dyeworks and tanneries), food stores per castle/town actually mattering
Castles/Town Upgrade: Different paths and upgrades that actually dynamically affect the castle and those garrisoning it. Food supplies actually mattering for the survival of a city under siege, etc.
Influence: Being able to get other lords to follow you and join your army reliably by spending influence points, Being able to vote on who gets the castle/town in a more dynamic way than just one (seemingly meaningless) vote per lord
Skill Tree: While these are not fully implemented at the moment there was no such tree in warband, just a matter of plugging points into skills every three levels, this system once fully implemented I feel has the potential to be much more dynamic than warband's
Death: Execution and death for both companions and other lords

I am surely missing a few features in this non-exhaustive list, but I believe it's fair to say that Bannerlord has plenty more features than Warband does. While not all of them are fully implemented/working at the moment, once they are and even in its current state Bannerlord is far more dynamic than the Vanilla Warband.

God I miss the cool stuff Warband had, it was more intimate. Relationships meant more. Companions had stories as your progressed in the game.

Warband: The lords gathering before tournaments at feasts. Win the tournament and choose to dedicate that victory to a noblewoman.

Warband: Decide to woo her when her servant sends a note for you to meet her, and even that is discretionary.

Warband: Learn a song from a musician at the tavern so that you can sing it to the lady.

Warband: Duel a lord for lady.

Bannerlord: Get married after talking to her and her father through discussion if your renown is high enough. Proceed to have 5+ children!

Also Bannerlord, has more features! /s (smart white knights). I mean where's the good stuff that separated M&B from every other RTS simulator?!

Yo white knights, maybe it's me, but in my playthrough of Bannerlord I have yet had to infiltrate an enemy castle to break out companions or ally lords. More features right?! C'mon, now, give my content with updated graphics.

I guess I'm not alone either.

Last edited:
God I miss the cool stuff Warband had, it was more intimate. Relationships meant more. Companions had stories as your progressed in the game.

Warband: The lords gathering before tournaments at feasts. Win the tournament and choose to dedicate that victory to a noblewoman.

Warband: Decide to woo her when her servant sends a note for you to meet her, and even that is discretionary.

Warband: Learn a song from a musician at the tavern so that you can sing it to the lady.

Warband: Duel a lord for lady.

Bannerlord: Get married after talking to her and her father through discussion if your renown is high enough. Proceed to have 5+ children!

Also Bannerlord, has more features! /s (smart white knights). I mean where's the good stuff that separated M&B from every other RTS simulator?!

Yo white knights, maybe it's me, but in my playthrough of Bannerlord I have yet had to infiltrate an enemy castle to break out companions or ally lords. More features right?! C'mon, now, give my content with updated graphics.

I guess I'm not alone either.

These features in Warband allways felt somewhat unfinished to me, I was hoping to see them in elaborated form in Bannerlord.

To me the game feels unplayable even though i have close to 100 hours in game. Reason being my first playthrough was cut short due to the 10 years to start a kingdom nonsense. My current playthrough has given me no way to continue because the game has activated both the conspiracy quest and the control 2/3 empire settlements at the same time which has turned every single kingdom against me at the same time with no way to negotiate peace. To not be able to continue playing through multiple saves is unplayable to me. The core gameplay IE the main quest and related content should have been ironed out first with the other features coming as development progresses.

To me the game feels unplayable even though i have close to 100 hours in game. Reason being my first playthrough was cut short due to the 10 years to start a kingdom nonsense. My current playthrough has given me no way to continue because the game has activated both the conspiracy quest and the control 2/3 empire settlements at the same time which has turned every single kingdom against me at the same time with no way to negotiate peace. To not be able to continue playing through multiple saves is unplayable to me. The core gameplay IE the main quest and related content should have been ironed out first with the other features coming as development progresses.

I think we are beginning to see why it took them eight years to make this.

Battles: 500v500 last 5 mins most of the time, and the lack of AI intelligence to counter even the most basic tactics makes battles stale after a while. Really all there is to say, it needs adjusting and given smarter tactical AI.

This, and also the wonky physics that happen in battle and are most noticeable when there is infantry involved (either cavarly vs infantry or infantry vs infantry). I am honestly even more concerned about the physics than the AI, because it is such a basic component of combat that it makes me wonder how they could possibly have let that slip.

Yeah I felt the same way, maybe they'll work on them along the line? Or the everloving answer of "MODS WILL SOLVE IT IT'S ONLY EARLY ACCESS"

I hate when people say mods will solve this. Sure, modders could make a complete game all by themselfes, but I want Mount&Blade 2 Bannerlord from TaleWorlds Entertainment! They employ a lot of people for taking care of this and I payed them money for making the game which they advertised, so why should I be dependand on some random peoples content to be able to enjoy this game? It is not the job of the community to create the game!

I hate when people say mods will solve this. Sure, modders could make a complete game all by themselfes, but I want Mount&Blade 2 Bannerlord from TaleWorlds Entertainment! They employ a lot of people for taking care of this and I payed them money for making the game which they advertised, so why should I be dependand on some random peoples content to be able to enjoy this game? It is not the job of the community to create the game!

In it's current fluctuating state, even on stable, relying on mods to fix the game is unwise. With weekly or even bi weekly updates often breaking most mods, sometimes even hotfixes can do this (even the popular mods seem to take 2-3 days at least before they catch up). It's a terrible solution and will remain so for the remainder of time that the game is in early access, I think people are finally coming around to this fact with all the "my saves are all broken!" posts. But, I mean, that seemed obvious.

In it's current fluctuating state, even on stable, relying on mods to fix the game is unwise. With weekly or even bi weekly updates often breaking most mods, sometimes even hotfixes can do this (even the popular mods seem to take 2-3 days at least before they catch up). It's a terrible solution and will remain so for the remainder of time that the game is in early access, I think people are finally coming around to this fact with all the "my saves are all broken!" posts. But, I mean, that seemed obvious.

Yea, I mean what do they expect from modding a game which is in development.. And I think most of the issues will get fixed and the content will be added eventually by TW anyways. But I understand that people are tired of waiting.

Yea, I mean what do they expect from modding a game which is in development.. And I think most of the issues will get fixed and the content will be added eventually by TW anyways. But I understand that people are tired of waiting.
Some people will never be happy. First people were screeching at the devs for a release date and now that we finally have the game in our hands (though it´s early access), people are having similar tantrums over it being unfinished as if they didn´t read the clear and concise statements from Taleworlds that the game would be missing features and overall polish in the initial release.

Back
Top Bottom