When is Bannerlord playable?

Users who are viewing this thread

"Playable" is completely subjective. I think they have a *lot* of work to do but I've still managed to have fun with the game in its current state.

Exactly. Not sure how many EA games people have played but they vary considerably. It is up to each player to decide what is considered playable. I have not sunk as many hours with Bannerlord singleplayer. I have not even touched MP aspect of it.

The singleplayer is incomplete for me. And I only play it to bench test every patch and 2-3 hours for each patch unless a new feature is added.

Since many people here misunderstood what I meant by "unplayable", here is a quote from tandrej which describes it pretty good.

And if a game depends so much on mods, that people might not even play it without them, I would consider it "unplayable" too. A game should not be dependant on mods, they are meant to enhance the experience, not make playable.

I'm the fool then, Bannerlord Vanilla (EA) is playable and I refuse to load any mods, I enjoy the vanilla game as it is. It made total sense to play the game and I'm enjoying it.

Bannerlord in current shape does not have dependency on mods...

Game is very playable. Certainly it’s not worth $50 currently but I would consider this an end state acceptable of a $20 game. And I think there is a strong enough foundation that over the next couple of years the game will be worth a full triple AAA title cost plus my instant purchase of any dlcs. I am very pleased with the state of the game and hard work from the developer team since it’s release.

And what do you think about the diplomacy, economy and combat AI?

Let's see....

1. Diplomacy
Current form, diplomacy is unfinished in its official form, but even at it's primitive form it's working quite okay. Of course, I don't see the "make peace" option in the Diplomacy screen, but I have a way of making peace in the game, with both political and military pressure, AI will make peace with you in due time. To me, this is actually how the backbone of diplomacy works even up to modern age, and is pretty realistic to me.

2. Economy
I have not roleplayed a merchant, but apart from the e1.1.0 patch where towns gone bankrupt which was fixed 2 days after release, so far, I find great freedom to trade and hog the goods that I see fit all over Calradia...no complaints from me.

3. Combat AI
I don't go to arena, as I die to single pitchfork wielding looters if I set difficulty on realistic more than they die to me if I'm on a horse on 1v1. (not exactly an inspiring fighter for my troops I know :razz:), but hey, there are commanders who don't fight well yet are brilliant on the battlefield ya?

In battles, of course there are some glitches here and there, but non are really game-breaking for me. I reported a few bugs I witnessed here and there on specific units behaviours, but in general, the AI uses tactics, their soldiers change formations on the fly and some battles can be challenging and are most enjoyable when especially when you have a combined arms composition.

Granted, AI still AI, they have limited battlefield tactics so far (HA always charge in first for a skirmish round and sustained if your line is disassembled, always finding a high ground as its only utilisation of terrain advantage, always split cav in to 2 grps to cover both flanks, never seen using chokepoints on the battlefield) but I believe to expanded AI is no small effort and right now there's enough variety for the game to be playable.

I could be wrong, but I believe battlefield AI and tactics is more related to underlying game engine mechanics including pathfinding and situation awareness exposure to the AI itself, thus, not likely any mods can improve this bit right now? (except hitboxes, skill levels for units, equipments...which are more likely in an xml table to be used in the said engine rather than the overhaul of the engine itself)

You meant a small minority i guess due over 79,000 people posted positive reivew on Steam which makes 88% of all reviews and it is actually way higher than many AAA games but ofc those people were posting such positive reviews for an ''unplayable'' game somehow??
So Bannerlord is already playable without any question and i think it will take around 2-3 months until missing features added which will make it much more enjoyable while 6-18 months until big mod releases which will completely change the game...
Yeah I'm going to go post a negative review right now just because of your white knighting crap.

Honestly, I was going to post a positive review with warnings about the things that are broken... but then I saw all this stupid crap in the forum from people like you dumping on folk who are making reasonable complaints and it infuriated me so much that I can't lend any credence to your tomf***ery..

Even for EA, the campaign portion of the released game is effectively in an alpha state. Anything not involving combat has obviously not been playtested at all. People have a right to complain.

to me I need xp increase mods, else it's insufferable to play the game. The grind is too hard, I'd try tweaking the overall xp up by 50% to 250% and narrow down through testing the most organic rates. The default is not organic, it feels too grindy, kinda reminded me of my days in Mortal Online, so I've snapped... Now I'm just cheating with 5x XP, makes the game more fun, but it's also a bit broken with such a high rate. Realistically, though, you may never really be able to achieve the final perk on any tree with lower rates, you'll be forced to grind the skill like a moron, want to test that cool "arrow deflecting" perk? Good luck, see you in a month or so, I'll also recommend your doc to prescribe a inflammatory pill for the tendinitis
THIS!

I'm tweaking for x4 xp and seriously it was the first time I actually started enjoying the game. There was one broken thing in the tutorial where I somehow got 120 points of Charm from talking to the headman but ehh? Worth it. Anything else is the dumbest and most obnoxious kind of grind.

In many players opinion, Bannerlord can not be called playable at this point. What do you think needs to be finished/optimised/balanced until you would consider it a playable? Which (functioning) core features does a Mount&Blade game need?

Judging by all the answers I recieved, the main problems seem to be:
  • Lacking diplomacy
  • Economy balance
  • Bad combat AI

Oddly enough, I have "played" the game for 244 hours so far so not sure where anyone gets that it is "unplayable".

Literally, just fix the perks and make them work. Everything else is generally good enough for early access, but perks not working is just frustrating and I am disappointed that they have not fixed it yet.

Yeah I'm going to go post a negative review right now just because of your white knighting crap.

Honestly, I was going to post a positive review with warnings about the things that are broken... but then I saw all this stupid crap in the forum from people like you dumping on folk who are making reasonable complaints and it infuriated me so much that I can't lend any credence to your tomf***ery..

Even for EA, the campaign portion of the released game is effectively in an alpha state. Anything not involving combat has obviously not been playtested at all. People have a right to complain.

Go post a negative review ASAP due the real stupid crap here assuming a single negative review would have any effect while there are literally 80,000 positive reviews, capish?? So i would advise you to drop your childish temper tantrum and acknowledge the fact that majority liked the game even with it's problems simply because it wasn't in alpha state like you falsely claim therefore me nor other 80,000 people don't act like white knights at all rather you people are just nagging unreasonably!! I understand you are most probably under lockdown and feeling very stressful so you are trying to play something to relax and Bannerlord with it's problems perhaps making you more stressful which is completely understandable but then go ... play something else mate until full release as who else do you think under lockdown??? Me, vast majority of other people who liked the game and even freaking Devs so nobody has to take your crap of somehow acting like majority didn't like the game while there are so many positive reviews and ''white knights'' to prove otherwise...

This game is quite boring as is, lifeless; no tournaments, general atmosphere is badly lacking. Go play Bannerpage mod for Warband. This doesn't have half the features.

The game is mostly complete (probably 80%). By lacking diplomacy if you mean kingdom management and dialogue then yeah I think that's a work in progress. AI in battles is pretty good but still poor on sieges but this is just about bug fixing and balancing I think. Performance optimisation still needs a lot of work too. Apart from that it's playable.

I don't think its anywhere near completion.

I'm not the original poster but I can answer this one.

Things present in Bannerlord NOT in Warband:
Clans: Family trees, marriages that produce heirs, family influence tiers, the influence system in general, clans giving the player the ability to field multiple armies
Economy: The creation of caravans (two types of them now), more dynamic workshops (i.e. not just spamming dyeworks and tanneries), food stores per castle/town actually mattering
Castles/Town Upgrade: Different paths and upgrades that actually dynamically affect the castle and those garrisoning it. Food supplies actually mattering for the survival of a city under siege, etc.
Influence: Being able to get other lords to follow you and join your army reliably by spending influence points, Being able to vote on who gets the castle/town in a more dynamic way than just one (seemingly meaningless) vote per lord
Skill Tree: While these are not fully implemented at the moment there was no such tree in warband, just a matter of plugging points into skills every three levels, this system once fully implemented I feel has the potential to be much more dynamic than warband's
Death: Execution and death for both companions and other lords

I am surely missing a few features in this non-exhaustive list, but I believe it's fair to say that Bannerlord has plenty more features than Warband does. While not all of them are fully implemented/working at the moment, once they are and even in its current state Bannerlord is far more dynamic than the Vanilla Warband.

dynamic workshops LOL? What's dynamic about them? Viking Conquest has family trees.
The original poster asked which features were present in Bannerlord that weren't in Warband, so I assumed base game, not any add-on DLC. Dynamic workshops as in the amount of resource that is used by your workshop in the town where it exists actively affects how much gold it produces for you by the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom