Wheel of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Those are some of the biggest draws I have to the series. Even though there are tonnes of lovely detailed clothing descriptions and lots of inter-gender moaning, the set-pieces are worth reading through the dull parts to get to. In my opinion.

My absolute favourite is.
“I don't know. They could put up a warning sign or something. Hello. Welcome to Hindstap. We will murder you in the night and eat your bloody face if you stay past sunset. Try the pies. Martna Maily makes them fresh daily.”

I like this one.

We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her crosswise, or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake.

:lol:

Vieira said:
Those are some of the biggest draws I have to the series. Even though there are tonnes of lovely detailed clothing descriptions and lots of inter-gender moaning, the set-pieces are worth reading through the dull parts to get to. In my opinion.

I was referring to Mistborn, but the same holds true for both books.

Read this up until the 5th or so book. As stated in the beginning of this thread, it became extremely slow paced and over time I dropped it. Still really want to get back into it, but I just can't find the time to actually re read everything, as it's not really a series you can pick up again after not having read for a while.

All those names man, ****.

If you think WoT has a lot of characters, try the Malazan series. Luckily, Erikson flips a coin on all of them to decide which ones survive, so you don't really have to remember them. :lol:

"I'm just an old gleeman, who could I possibly be dangerous to?" -Thom Merrilin
Thom_rpg.jpg

It's a strong toss up between Thom and Mat for greatest WoT character.

Don Doggy said:
If WoT had as much sex as Jordans Conan-books I would had read them already.

Wasn't there this long subplot about Mat having a relationship with some 50-year old queen or something?

I finally read through the last two books on holiday. No more WoT, I feel kinda sad and yet relieved.

DoctorPainkiller said:
Don Doggy said:

Wasn't there this long subplot about Mat having a relationship with some 50-year old queen or something?

It was more for the comedy, the Wheel of Time books don't really do excessive sex scenes, and that's good in my opinion, since I don't think they'd fit with the tone.

Amagic said:
Everyone prefers talking about how horrible/awesome the opposite gender is to sex. A lot.

Yeah. There is a lot of inter-gender banter. They can be annoying about equally.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Well that's mostly thanks to Jordan's society where women are equal/superior to men due to only them being able to safely use the One Power.

Depends which society. There isn't equality, per se, in his books. The genders, I think, are mostly balanced, in a way. Ie the whole thing that a female can't be the Dragon Reborn and that while men are much stronger than women with the power, they cannot form circles without the aid of a women, whereas women can form circles without men.

So it depends on which culture in the books where you can determine where women are superior. For example, Altara and Andor are both societies with female power. Whereas Tear and Illian are societies with male power.

DoctorPainkiller said:
Don Doggy said:

Yeah. I've read a lot of people found that to be in bad taste. Particularly because of how the rape was handled. I think a lot of people brushed the rape off because of the mild Stockholm Syndrome Mat developed after her death.

Back
Top Bottom