What's Your Favorite Movies & TV shows?

Users who are viewing this thread

It should be moved on to 'Music, Film, TV, Books & Art'

Odd how no one has mentioned 'drama' as genre.

- The Night of the Shooting Stars (1982)

- Cinema Paradiso (198:cool:

- Manhattan (1979)

- Husbands and Wives (1992)

- Stardust Memories (1980)

- The Great Dictator (1940)

- Citizen Kane (1941)

- Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

- Spotlight (2015)

- Submarine (2010)

And many others...

Medieval/Swordfighting:

Sci-fi:

Western:

Horror:

Cartoon/anime:
What's anime?

Crime:

Fantasy:

Mystery:

Superhero:

Other:

Adorno said:
It should be moved on to 'Music, Film, TV, Books & Art'

It is a different community though :sad:
It was perfect where it was

OurGloriousLeader said:
And I'm just ****in with you TLJ wasn't great and certainly isn't in my top 3, but it's bad for none of the reasons people complained about and IX will be 10x more depressing due to how much it's going to **** all over the few good ideas in the series. (seeing it tomorrow woohoo)

I disagree. The Last Jedi is unironically my third favorite Star Wars film (V > IV > VIII > VI > VII > I > II > III). I think it is both great and the smartest Star Wars since Empire.

My jaw literally fell open when I first started watching and there was a yo mama joke within the first two minutes of the film. It took me awhile to get what Ruin Johnson was going for ("That was a cheap move" was the line that officially won me over), but once I adjusted to the initial shock I really started to appreciate both the self-aware and satirical tone of a film that's willing to poke fun at both the source material (Luke's deadpan tossing of his father's lightsaber) and it's audience ("It's salt"), as well as the ultimate morals and messages of the story (which to my mind is mainly about how being a cool space wizard hero is ****ing stupid and not worth it and probably won't actually help anyone anyway - think Achilles in the Underworld). It's basically deconstructing and demystifying and democratizing the Force (a theme which appears throughout, but I think is most cleverly demonstrated by the reversal of Vader's "I am your father, so you should join me" with Kylo's "**** your parents, they don't matter, join me and make something of yourself"), while simultaneously pushing the boundaries of what the Force can actually do (I thought both astral projection and flying through space in a space bubble were creative and fun applications compared to the telekinesis and really long jumping of the prequels). Moreover, I think it had some of the best cinematography and action set-pieces in the entire saga (namely the throne room fight, but the kamikaze attack was pretty cool too).

It's basically antithetical to everything Star Wars which is great because although I love the original trilogy with all of my heart, I also kind of hate Star WarsTM. Maybe that makes it a poor sequel to VII (and a poor setup to IX, which is apparently going to completely ignore VIII), but as a stand alone film I think it works really well. It had some fat that should have been cut, and there are some internal logical inconsistencies, but ultimately I'm willing to forgive those sins for the tight pacing with a clear theme woven throughout. I normally never disagree with Jay and Mike, but for me (personally) the jokes landed and I was able to adjust to the tonal inconsistency and appreciate it as both Star Wars and Not Star Wars.

Moose! said:
Maybe that makes it a poor sequel to VII (and a poor setup to IX, which is apparently going to completely ignore VIII), but as a stand alone film I think it works really well.

That's where I landed with this movie. I ****ing hated it for a variety of reasons that I could probably write a whole esaay about, but this was the main one - it is completely, tonally inconsistent. This movie, more than anything, proved that there was absolutely no plan whatsoever for this new trilogy.

The Last Jedi is an extremely cynical film and while that aspect of it, and much of what you mentioned certainly jerked off a lot of film critics it was not only a bad "Star Wars movie", but also a bad sequel. It wasn't concerned so much with actual plot or characters (and the numerous inconsistencies point to this as well as to the jigsaw puzzle behind-the-scenes handling of the film) as much as it was with "themes", often at the expense of the former. This works when the movie is in a vacuum, but for better or for worse The Force Awakens was all plot and characters and absolutely none of these "themes".

I feel like if this was the first installment of his own trilogy separate from what is billed as the main series the reaction would not nearly have been as visceral as it was. I certainly wouldn't hate it as much - I quite liked Looper and I remember thinking that Rian would actually do a good job on this movie before I saw it. I get the whole "subverting expectations" thing and how some people would definitely want to see a "mature" takedown of the supposedly antiquated themes and plots of Star Wars, I just didn't really want that, and definitely not in a canonical main series movie.

It would be like if Knives Out was about an alcoholic, degenerate Poirot or Mrs. Marple - nobody had much of a problem with that movie's takedown of the murder mystery because it was its own intellectual property entirely. The Last Jedi didn't really want to be a Star Wars movie, so in my opinion it would have been better as something similar to the above. As it stands, it is far and away the single worst Star Wars movie I have seen, despite being an entirely functional movie apart from the series.

Medieval/Swordfighting:  Henry V (kenneth branagh), Kingdom of Heaven.

Sci-fi:  Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, Alien, Interstelar, Rogue One, Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Western:    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Bacurau, Once upon a time in the West.

Horror:  Not a fan of the genre, except Alien.

Cartoon/anime:  Finding Nemo. Toy Story 3.

Crime:    No Country for Old Men, Godfather 1/2, True Detective (season 1).

Fantasy:  LotR The Fellowship of the Ring (my favorite film of all time). But of course also The Two Towers and Return of the King.

Mystery:  The Others.

Superhero:  The Dark Knight.

Other: Platoon, Master and Commander, Barry Lyndon, Terminator 2, Predator, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Das Boot, Der Untergang, The Truman show, Rome HBO, Midnight in Paris, Love Actually, Black Hawk Down, Birdman, Trainspotting, Jurassic Park 1, HELSREACH (40k fan film).

William The Bear said:
This is off-topic pals, moved the thread but carry on :wink:

Unfortunately I made it for the active Warband part of the community. The players there don't venture here because they are unaware that it exists at all. It's no offense to people that browse here, but I wanted to hear from the people I play Warband with everyday and now I won't get that opportunity.

Enjoy the thread though friends.

Aeronwen said:

It is literally offtopic for Mount and Blade, and therefore belongs here according to the Deep Magic.

Roberta_Baratheon said:
What is this wretched place? I smell single player people.

Bold of you to assume most AG regulars even play Mount and Blade games. You're welcome to stay tho

Cpt. Nemo said:
Aeronwen said:

It is literally offtopic for Mount and Blade, and therefore belongs here according to the Deep Magic.

Roberta_Baratheon said:

Bold of you to assume most AG regulars even play Mount and Blade games. You're welcome to stay tho

Exactly why we wanted it back in the Warband section. It is literally an entirely different group of people. Apparently the Warband forumites are not allowed to discuss anything in their section of the forum other than Warband.

Sounds like something that could be discussed among the global moderators.
You can also make a request in the The Realm of Calradia - Website & Community https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,36.0.html

I guess they want to avoid people making all sorts of irrelevant threads clotting up the forum.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
The Last Jedi is an extremely cynical film and while that aspect of it, and much of what you mentioned certainly jerked off a lot of film critics it was not only a bad "Star Wars movie", but also a bad sequel. It wasn't concerned so much with actual plot or characters (and the numerous inconsistencies point to this as well as to the jigsaw puzzle behind-the-scenes handling of the film) as much as it was with "themes", often at the expense of the former.

What part of the characterization didn't you like? To my mind, I thought it was interesting to see two of our three heroes (Finn and Poe) fail in their goals because they make a series of (somewhat illogical if you're a ninny nitpicker) mistakes despite their heroic intentions - it keeps in line with the themes of the film, and the set pieces and pacing around it were engaging from my perspective. Kylo coming into his own as a proper villain felt satisfying to me as well - he's the only Star Wars villain with a plausibly human motivation, given that his fall to hatred is so clearly driven by an interpersonal rejection from people he loves (Luke in the past, Rey in the future, contrasted with Anakin who was rejected by his loved ones only AFTER he fell to the Dark Side for no real reason other than stupidity). The direction they took Luke was perhaps my favorite - I totally buy his disillusionment with the Force when the Force told him that Kylo Ren would fall to the Dark Side, so he rejected Kylo Ren which in turn CAUSED HIM to fall to the Dark Side (I also particularly liked how they showed that scene differently from two perspectives).

The biggest weak point in characterization for me was Rey, but I actually think that's comparable to the OT - Luke wasn't much of a character either, apart from being generally affable but a bit whiny. I'm generally okay with having the main protagonist in an ensemble piece be a bit dull so they can serve as an every man.

John7 said:
Cpt. Nemo said:
Aeronwen said:

Roberta_Baratheon said:

Exactly why we wanted it back in the Warband section. It is literally an entirely different group of people. Apparently the Warband forumites are not allowed to discuss anything in their section of the forum other than Warband.
And I guess we'll stay entirely separated if that's what everyone wants. It doesn't have to be that way though. We exclude topics, but we don't exclude people. We just want each area to have it's own easily moderated and clear discussions, and if it isn't related to TW games it's discussed somewhere here.

John7 said:

Just to reinforce what Nemo said:  From the forum rules: "All posts in the main forum must be directly related to the game or it's content. Discussion of real world or other non-game issues should be posted in the relevant part of the Anachronist's Guild, our off topic forum. The only exception to this is the Sage's Guild, which is specifically for debating historical issues, re-enactment and the 'real world' events the setting of Mount & Blade is based on."

Moose! said:
My jaw literally fell open when I first started watching and there was a yo mama joke within the first two minutes of the film.

Mine too but for the wrong reasons and ones that sum up why TLJ has a really inconsistent tone and feeling. The comedy fell incredibly flat for a huge amount of the film (minus grumpy Luke on the Island which was fun). The film sets up a lot of interesting themes and character arcs that you neatly lay out, but it actively undercuts them at the same time with constant bathos and misfiring comedy. I won't take anyone seriously who complains about Snoke dying, or force powers not being canon, or any of that crap, but I can't blame people for feeling a bit meh over an adventure film that constantly undermines its own sense of adventure.

Ofc all that pales when compared to IX which I just saw last night, no spoilers but considering this was much more what fans "wanted", I'll take the flawed TLJ over that kind of garbage any day, and it'll be interesting to see how the films are seen in a few years when people have the benefit of hindsight.

OurGloriousLeader said:
The comedy fell incredibly flat for a huge amount of the film (minus grumpy Luke on the Island which was fun).

That is probably the biggest difference I've found between my opinion and others - the jokes mostly landed for me after that scene with Luke and R2 once I adjusted to what the movie was going for.

Moose! said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
The Last Jedi is an extremely cynical film and while that aspect of it, and much of what you mentioned certainly jerked off a lot of film critics it was not only a bad "Star Wars movie", but also a bad sequel. It wasn't concerned so much with actual plot or characters (and the numerous inconsistencies point to this as well as to the jigsaw puzzle behind-the-scenes handling of the film) as much as it was with "themes", often at the expense of the former.

What part of the characterization didn't you like? To my mind, I thought it was interesting to see two of our three heroes (Finn and Poe) fail in their goals because they make a series of (somewhat illogical if you're a ninny nitpicker) mistakes despite their heroic intentions - it keeps in line with the themes of the film, and the set pieces and pacing around it were engaging from my perspective. Kylo coming into his own as a proper villain felt satisfying to me as well - he's the only Star Wars villain with a plausibly human motivation, given that his fall to hatred is so clearly driven by an interpersonal rejection from people he loves (Luke in the past, Rey in the future, contrasted with Anakin who was rejected by his loved ones only AFTER he fell to the Dark Side for no real reason other than stupidity). The direction they took Luke was perhaps my favorite - I totally buy his disillusionment with the Force when the Force told him that Kylo Ren would fall to the Dark Side, so he rejected Kylo Ren which in turn CAUSED HIM to fall to the Dark Side (I also particularly liked how they showed that scene differently from two perspectives).

The biggest weak point in characterization for me was Rey, but I actually think that's comparable to the OT - Luke wasn't much of a character either, apart from being generally affable but a bit whiny. I'm generally okay with having the main protagonist in an ensemble piece be a bit dull so they can serve as an every man.

My issue with characterization wasn't related to legacy characters (I liked Mark Hamill as Luke in this movie, although I disagree with how they killed him off), or to Kylo Ren, who is definitely the most fully-realized character from this new trilogy. It's with characters from previous movies who are either wasted or ruined in service of the film's "themes", as well as the new characters introduced.

There are no new characters from The Last Jedi who I found remotely interesting. The characters from the previous movie drive the plot forward on its turgid pace, but the new characters exist as essentially cardboard cutouts, the only purpose of which is to exposit or to impart some sort of lesson to the heroes. Rose did nothing except act as the mouthpiece for the smarmiest, preachiest subplot in any Star Wars film to date, with some random characterization thrown in at the very end with her declaration of love, which took me completely out of left field. Benicio del Toro's character is named maybe once in the whole movie (I forgot) and serves the dual purpose of an out-of-place The Usual Suspects reference and a flat lesson on moral ambiguity. The movie cares so little about his character beyond that sole lesson that we get absolutely no indication or throwaway scene of his fate once the flagship gets ruined in the lightspeed ram. Admiral Holdo is the same - she's a vehicle for a once-famous actress, and we get nothing about her other than that Leia apparently trusts her, and once again she teaches a lesson about... following orders in a Rebellion? Something? And then promptly dies with no further exploration or explanation of her character. TR-8R had more character in his one line and ten seconds of screen time than most of these characters.

As I said, I liked Luke and Kylo's story, but that itself was bogged down by the charisma black hole that is Rey. She had nothing really going for her in the first movie beyond her relationship with Finn (who she only reunites with at the very end of The Last Jedi), Han Solo (obviously not appearing in this film), and her mysterious past/implied connection with the Skywalker family. With the "revelation" that she's nobody she then has literally nothing going for her as a character beyond her Mary Sue Force powers. There is no hero's journey for Rey - her powers manifest extremely rapidly over the short timespan of both movies, for no conceivable reason beyond that she is the designated protagonist. This isn't the democratization of the Force or anything like that, this is just a really bad character made worse by a script which cares nothing for characters.

Luke was a whiny know-it-all in A New Hope, but he ends up struggling throughout both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi - he experiences some serious personal and physical trauma, as well as emotional growth that is plainly visible in the way he even talks and interacts with characters in these movies. The Luke that goes to rescue Han and Leia is far from the Luke who wants to go pick up power converters, even though his childishness is still evident in his refusal to heed Yoda's advice. His reward for this is the infamous revelation and his near-death. Similarly, the Luke who goes to rescue Han from Jabba in the opening of Return of the Jedi is a far cry from the inexperienced character from those previous two movies, especially A New Hope.

Rey has no journey, and was not given one in a movie that is intent on demolishing the traditional notion of a hero. She experiences defeat exactly once in the two new movies, and still managed to quickly turn the tide on her captor, and beyond that is never harmed or even truly challenged. If what we get instead of the traditional hero is this flat character who conquers all the challenges in her way without any real progress or visible effort, then count me out.

Back
Top Bottom