What's your experience with being a foot soldier?

Users who are viewing this thread

It is more doable now than at launch but the early game will be painfully slow if you stay on foot the whole way. Lancing with a horse vs Looters builds skills and just feels more interesting than constantly running, weaving, and looking for terrain or buying cheap troops just to distract looters.

Once you get some level in athletics, decent, gear, and a good shield I'd say it is completely viable though unlike horse archers, taking down entire enemy parties of 50+ is not possible unless you want to take 8 hours for a single battle.

It does definitely feel amazing playing on foot and going in with the rest of the foot soldiers in those large field battles. and the chaos of cavalry and riderless horses all over the place just hitting you from every which direction. But not when it ends up in that weird mosh pit where the cavalry decide they don't want to charge anymore (where two-hander units absolutely murder them).

i never regret switching to infantry play. battles are more imerse and challenging. yes you need to walk but at 150+ ath you still get ridiculously fast. if you want to be really quick, then play without a shield equipped. i just finished another all settlements without using any horses yesterday.

Athletics has a big effect, especially when you take the mobility perks. You can catch up to looters in heavy armour. A lot bigger effect than it had in Warband. There are also banners that affect movement speed that may be looking into, but like everything in Bannerlord you need to test them to make sure they actually work.
It's probably worth getting to 275 athletics for most combat-oriented characters since the 275 perk gives you a big boost to hitpoints, along with all the attribute bonuses along the way.
Looter should be slow. They should nerf base speed a lot and buff athletics. 0 athletics and heavy armor should mean walking dead speed, 0 athletics and light armor should mean slow.

The game is unplayable as a foot soldier.

The battles are one giant mosh pit where you cant even walk, raise your weapon etc. The battles are same as Warband, without W.

Link below, demonstrating how broken on foot gameplay is. Warning loud audio.

Last edited:
The game is unplayable as a foot soldier.

The battles are one giant mosh pit where you cant even walk, raise your weapon etc. The battles are same as Warband, without W.

Warning loud audio.

Not unplayable but more difficult for sure.

Sieges are the easiest to play as a foot soldier, field battles can be very grindy and chaotic. You can charge in and get maybe 5-20 kills fairly easy with a glaive but will be taken down by arrows/bolts eventually.

If you play with a shield and one handed weapon you will survive a lot longer but also probably kill a lot less and still have high odds of arrows hitting you from angles around the shield or a single couched lance charge from behind taking you out.

Playing as a foot archer with a shield and glaive is probably the main way to get a lot of kills and stay alive a long time but you'll have to be scavenging for arrows half the time and hiding behind your shield 1/3 of the time and is really quite a boring way to play.

Not unplayable but more difficult for sure.

Sieges are the easiest to play as a foot soldier, field battles can be very grindy and chaotic. You can charge in and get maybe 5-20 kills fairly easy with a glaive but will be taken down by arrows/bolts eventually.

If you play with a shield and one handed weapon you will survive a lot longer but also probably kill a lot less and still have high odds of arrows hitting you from angles around the shield or a single couched lance charge from behind taking you out.

Playing as a foot archer with a shield and glaive is probably the main way to get a lot of kills and stay alive a long time but you'll have to be scavenging for arrows half the time and hiding behind your shield 1/3 of the time and is really quite a boring way to play.
Did you watch the video? And who plays sieges on horseback really?

Did you watch the video? And who plays sieges on horseback really?
What video? Did not see any videos posted by OP and only an advertisement on your post.

The OP was about playing foot soldiers and you can quite easily play sieges on horseback if you knock down the walls with trebuchets. My highest kill counts in sieges are as an archer taking advantage of AI not knowing where I am shooting from or running thru the streets on a horse taking out all the spawning reinforcements.

Doing a siege as a foot soldier is totally viable and the best foot soldier experience really- the only problem is the mosh pit at the top of the ladder but if you can wait for a lull when enemy reinforcements are coming, you can get into the towers/archer platforms and pick off dozens of enemy soldiers and sometimes even take out 2-3 from the group near the ladder before running back into a tower.

With the best armor, shield, and a short weapon you can even force your way thru the mosh pits sometimes but that is higher risk and almost always going to be some heavy HP loss.

What video? Did not see any videos posted by OP and only an advertisement on your post.

The OP was about playing foot soldiers and you can quite easily play sieges on horseback if you knock down the walls with trebuchets. My highest kill counts in sieges are as an archer taking advantage of AI not knowing where I am shooting from or running thru the streets on a horse taking out all the spawning reinforcements.

Doing a siege as a foot soldier is totally viable and the best foot soldier experience really- the only problem is the mosh pit at the top of the ladder but if you can wait for a lull when enemy reinforcements are coming, you can get into the towers/archer platforms and pick off dozens of enemy soldiers and sometimes even take out 2-3 from the group near the ladder before running back into a tower.

With the best armor, shield, and a short weapon you can even force your way thru the mosh pits sometimes but that is higher risk and almost always going to be some heavy HP loss.
The video I linked in the comment you replied to Its not advertisement lmao, why would I put an ad? That video shows how unplayable it is, please watch the video first. If youre doing 1k battles, on foot gameplay is unplayable 90% of the time as shown in the video above.

Btw, do you really think people play sieges on horseback??

Last edited:
Stay Mounted to move around and ride around the battlefield.

Dismount at the flank of the formation right before the fight starts.

Just do what many commanders did IRL

Back
Top Bottom