What's your battle tatics or tricks?? let's share and learn

Users who are viewing this thread

what's your battle tactics or tricks??
so I will go first, I am always a cavalry and horse archer type of guy since Warband
but in Bannerlord, I finally start to enjoy the infantry tactics

So here's my battle tactics
so battle start, I will 2-F2-F3 : archer form loose formation, then place archer in front , then infantry behind archers.
then I will ride and scout see if enemy send horse archers, if they have horse archers riding out to scout, I will kill them first,
depends on how many HA they have , I may kill them by myself , or I will ask horseman to follow me and kill them

then, I will move the archers closer to enemy, infantry follow behind archers
then archers will start raining on enemy, enemy will form line formation and move closer
by the time they get close enough, enemy already suffer heavy casualties , then I will place the horseman and horse archers on the right or left side to flank then enemy infantry formation

then last step is to let the infantry charge on enemy

I notice while crossing river, your speed will significantly reduce, so I LOVE to lure enemy into river and let archer unleash hell rain on them

I put khans guards an 2 stack HA in group 2 so they make a proper line and not a fat useless :poop: pile like 4 starts in.
I put Cav and 1 stack HA in 4 or 5 and set them on fallow me. I put foot archers in 1 or I forget and they have a fun time...
6 and 7 is for recruits and units I want to retreat at battle start, or send alone for exp if it's looters :smile:
I don't use 3 because having 3 makes 4 spawn way too far away on the right
I use the warband like a big turret firing squad and move it around facing the enemy, I kill all the HA and can as it approaches and runs away, with my Cav fallowing me.
Sometime I put the Cav back and just go attack alone, because the AI is still horrible and kills itself all the time.
If the archer get far enough from the infantry I attack them like this, dragging Cav on top of them and charging at point blank, so the cav don't get any better ideas like slow trotting into a SW

I put khans guards an 2 stack HA in group 2 so they make a proper line and not a fat useless :poop: pile like 4 starts in.
I put Cav and 1 stack HA in 4 or 5 and set them on fallow me. I put foot archers in 1 or I forget and they have a fun time...
6 and 7 is for recruits and units I want to retreat at battle start, or send alone for exp if it's looters :smile:
I don't use 3 because having 3 makes 4 spawn way too far away on the right
I use the warband like a big turret firing squad and move it around facing the enemy, I kill all the HA and can as it approaches and runs away, with my Cav fallowing me.
Sometime I put the Cav back and just go attack alone, because the AI is still horrible and kills itself all the time.
If the archer get far enough from the infantry I attack them like this, dragging Cav on top of them and charging at point blank, so the cav don't get any better ideas like slow trotting into a SW

OMG how can those archers just stand there and let your chop through??
I barely charge into enemy formation line alone, bec it's almost guaranteed knock down by infantry

the enemy HA scouting are very stupid AI , it will come close to you, then go back , then come closer then go back.
once you figure out their routine route, you just charge at them and use long two hand weapon to kill all of them
they barely fight back ,so it's like free exp

Well I am very basic...

Infantry shield wall and then advance, they move towards enemy with shields up protecting from arrows.
Archers follow me, and then I move to enemy flank
I send my cavalry far ago behind the enemy en then issue charge.
I try to coordinate all group movements to engage the enemy at same time.

I have problems when the enemy has a large number of cavalry, in this ocasions I try to keep in a defensive possittion until I defeated them, then advance.

I don't have a lot of tricks or tactics, but the few I have seem to work well for me. These are all for vs AI battles. Humans are too smart for this.

1. I split my missiles into two command groups:
The majority I keep in one main group that always sits behind my line, but a decent 3rd (usually my crossbows) I keep in a second command group. I can do two things with this: firstly, if the enemy have cavalry superiority, I can arrange them in a shallow V formation behind my line - so that their line has to advance under overlapping fire from two directions. Secondly, if I have cavalry superiority, I can send the crossbow group out in advance of my line and off to the side in order to provide enfilading fire into their flank as they advance into a headwind of my main archer group. This is particularly devastating with crossbows - a party of 30 or so crossbows can literally cut an army to pieces before the main lines even engage.

2. I split my horse archers into two groups:
I have one main group with the majority of my horse archers, and I keep a second group of high tier horse archers (Khan's guards) who are good at melee, along with my mounted companions. I keep them with me behind the line in the centre. No more than 10 or so people. This group takes on a utility role. They can quickly support either cavalry flank if they look like they're about to fold, they can passively mop up individual enemy cavalry that break through my main line and attack my archers, and I can quickly send them to support one end of my main line if the enemy are starting to wrap around the side of it. It's a handy little fire support group that if not needed, can still fire over the heads of my archers.

Against infantry heavy AI armies, I tend to be passively defensive. I let them come to me through my fields of fire. Against cavalry heavy enemies I tend to be aggressively defensive - disrupting charges with counter charges and doing my best to pull their horse archers away from their main line to envelop and destroy them. My computer can't handle battles of more than 6-800, so I am mindful of the need to be really careful of staying close to my reinforcements, and not over extending into the enemy spawning zone - you can accidentally become overwhelmed.

Video is painful.

In American Football there is a position called Linebacker in which usually one (out of 3) are appointed as a Spy to counter an enemy Quarterback who likes to do a alot of rogue things like run around and gain alot of yards himself. What we need in games like this is either an elite unit*(s) that act as Spy for a player doing such things. Lets face it this weakness of just soloing into enemy ranks on your horse has been going on since M&B1 -i dont use it but i dont like that it exists either. So lets say for example the above happens, archers quickly split open a lane *(we need dodge animations) quickly recover and lite up the wanna-be-one-man-army- cav, as exactly what would happen in real life if someone was foolish enough to try. Also alott a small contingent of enemy cav as a Nemesis to Player and work to basically negate and either render him ineffective (maim his horse) or hunt him down

I don't have a lot of tricks or tactics, but the few I have seem to work well for me. These are all for vs AI battles. Humans are too smart for this.

1. I split my missiles into two command groups:
The majority I keep in one main group that always sits behind my line, but a decent 3rd (usually my crossbows) I keep in a second command group. I can do two things with this: firstly, if the enemy have cavalry superiority, I can arrange them in a shallow V formation behind my line - so that their line has to advance under overlapping fire from two directions. Secondly, if I have cavalry superiority, I can send the crossbow group out in advance of my line and off to the side in order to provide enfilading fire into their flank as they advance into a headwind of my main archer group. This is particularly devastating with crossbows - a party of 30 or so crossbows can literally cut an army to pieces before the main lines even engage.

2. I split my horse archers into two groups:
I have one main group with the majority of my horse archers, and I keep a second group of high tier horse archers (Khan's guards) who are good at melee, along with my mounted companions. I keep them with me behind the line in the centre. No more than 10 or so people. This group takes on a utility role. They can quickly support either cavalry flank if they look like they're about to fold, they can passively mop up individual enemy cavalry that break through my main line and attack my archers, and I can quickly send them to support one end of my main line if the enemy are starting to wrap around the side of it. It's a handy little fire support group that if not needed, can still fire over the heads of my archers.

Against infantry heavy AI armies, I tend to be passively defensive. I let them come to me through my fields of fire. Against cavalry heavy enemies I tend to be aggressively defensive - disrupting charges with counter charges and doing my best to pull their horse archers away from their main line to envelop and destroy them. My computer can't handle battles of more than 6-800, so I am mindful of the need to be really careful of staying close to my reinforcements, and not over extending into the enemy spawning zone - you can accidentally become overwhelmed.

crossbow are too slow for enemy calvery charge
crossbow is only good when you hold defensive position and wait for enemy to charge on you.

crossbow are too slow for enemy calvery charge
crossbow is only good when you hold defensive position and wait for enemy to charge on you.

Which is exactly the situation I described.

Video is painful.

In American Football there is a position called Linebacker in which usually one (out of 3) are appointed as a Spy to counter an enemy Quarterback who likes to do a alot of rogue things like run around and gain alot of yards himself. What we need in games like this is either an elite unit*(s) that act as Spy for a player doing such things. Lets face it this weakness of just soloing into enemy ranks on your horse has been going on since M&B1 -i dont use it but i dont like that it exists either. So lets say for example the above happens, archers quickly split open a lane *(we need dodge animations) quickly recover and lite up the wanna-be-one-man-army- cav, as exactly what would happen in real life if someone was foolish enough to try. Also alott a small contingent of enemy cav as a Nemesis to Player and work to basically negate and either render him ineffective (maim his horse) or hunt him down

I thought people had been complaining lately about how the player is too fragile to do this now because of changes to armour. Can never win

I thought people had been complaining lately about how the player is too fragile to do this now because of changes to armour. Can never win

Uh yeah they can win -its called balance not binary. You will always have people on edges or extremes complaining -that goes for all facets of life. That doesnt absolve you from trying your darndest to think of ways to create a satisfying remedy.

Custom Battle is under rated. In fightings games like Tekken 7 or Street Fighter 5 the practice mode is used to practice many intricate scenarios, custom battle is very similar. If the player loses a battle, the player can recreate that battle in custom battle in order to figure out how to win better and cut down on casualties. This past week I have been using it in order to figure out how to fight the Khuzaits with a mostly Imperial army. The player can create their own Kobayashimura scenarios to see how to win in a no win scenario.

the enemy HA scouting are very stupid AI , it will come close to you, then go back , then come closer then go back.
once you figure out their routine route, you just charge at them and use long two hand weapon to kill all of them
they barely fight back ,so it's like free exp
Yeah it's the best way to deal with them.

Which is exactly the situation I described.
The armor is mostly for when some t2 punk cheap shots you, anything else you have to not get hit, which isn't that hard since the AI seems kind weird about it's priorities and timing, though any infantry looking at you will 100% hit you if you move in range, very weird. Cavalry and HA are pretty bad at fighting up close, except khans guards and other glaive HA.

Also alott a small contingent of enemy cav as a Nemesis to Player and work to basically negate and either render him ineffective (maim his horse) or hunt him down
They try but Cav can't hit you with their weapons, very disappoint. This with the archers lighting me up, whatever they can do, my guys can do too :smile:
As far as the anti player shenanigan squad, don't worry Zoros has got it covered! No funny business on his watch!

What tactics and tricks? There is nothing needed in this game, just like Warband. Archer only army make them in one line don't even bother with loose formation and let them open fire when the enemy are in range. If they sit back and defend then just slowly inch forward and eventually you'll be in range to open fire. This worked for me in Warband with Rhodok Sharpshooters and now works in Bannerlord with Fianns. In fact it's even worse here with the mass recruit armies, barely any have shields or armour and just die to a single arrow/bolt, and if they don't they have to kill 100 fians with armour and 2 handed swords.

EDIT: Things like this is why I always find it amusing that people enjoy the singleplayer more than the multiplayer, there is literally no depth to the singleplayer game, just an endless meat grind that I got bored of doing in the original M&B never mind this one(that I had high hopes would have some more diplomacy, tactics and strategy)

Because Khuzait have such a snowball problem, I've spent about two thousand game-days fighting them exclusively, compared to only a couple hundred game-days fighting other factions. I found that the tactics I developed to counter the Khuzait didn't work well when facing Vlandians, so I had to start developing new ones. The latter are still WIP, but versus Khuzaits, this works:

If the map gives me enough room, I'll put my archers in loose formation and tell them to watch the front-left (giving archers a watch direction is the most important part of fighting Khuzaits), and I put my infantry in shield wall to the right of the archers. My companions (all horse archers) will be a few meters behind the archers, while the rest of my horse archers will be on the right flank. Cavalry is on left flank.

If the map doesn't give me enough room for that, then I have my infantry shield-wall about two meters behind the archers, with both archers and infantry ordered to watch the same direction (so that the infantry line does not rotate into the non-rotating archer line, blocking their shots). Both lines will also have less of a diagonal angle in this case, facing more toward the main enemy force and less to the 10/11 o'clock position. This is because the infantry should be be already aligned with the enemy battle-line before charging, and if they're close behind the archers, they can't change alignment without getting in the archers' way.

Either way, Khuzaits will almost always suicide their horse archers on my left side at the beginning, which is why I like to face my archers front-left. With their line diagonal like this, relative to the enemy formation, they can shoot the enemy horse archers to my left and also shoot the main enemy force to the front, all without having to reposition the line (which would waste time better spent shooting). After my archers have loosed a couple volleys at the enemy horse archers, I tell my cavalry to charge, and I join them. At this point, the enemy horse archers retreat, and we cut most of them down. When we get too close to the enemy archers, I break off the attack, telling my cavalry to join me as I fall back to my battle-line.

By now, the enemy usually will advance their main battle-line, and my crossbowmen are doing most of the work. I take my horse archers (companions, too, unless the enemy has a lot of cavalry, in which case it's too dangerous for companions) to flank the enemy from my right (their left); this isn't completely ideal, because their shields are facing us, but it does let my horse archers shoot while we widely circle the enemy formation.

We'll end up directly behind them, if the enemy cavalry don't interfere, but after being pelted for a bit, the latter usually charge my horse archers. So I order them to fall back to my battle-line's left flank, and I engage the enemy cavalry as a lone lancer. Khuzait cavalry (unlike Vlandian cavalry) aren't usually too difficult for a reasonably-skilled player to take out by himself. The main challenge here isn't killing them without being hit back, but rather keeping track of the big picture while also spearing horsemen. (When facing Vlandian cavalry, on the other hand, each enemy lancer is himself a dangerous threat.)

When the main enemy force gets close enough to my battle-line, I tell my infantry to charge, and my cavalry to flank wide left. If necessary, I tell the archers to fall back, but I need to remember to tell them to stop after a few seconds of this, or else they may retreat off the battlefield altogether.

Although my cavalry are flanking to the enemy's right, I avoid charging my cavalry into the enemy infantry unless it's an emergency. Rather, I prefer to bring them around the back and join them to take out the enemy archers. This can be hard on the cavalry, so I pay attention to how much heat they're taking and back them off if I have to, assuming I have the option (if it's a very tough battle, I may have no choice but to keep pressing the archers with my cavalry, despite them taking heavy losses from it).

When I join my cavalry in the archer-slaying, I have a tactic of approaching their line directly from the side, so that only one archer has a clear shot at me until I've hit him. I'll then tightly weave back and forth through the formation at high speed, stabbing two or three more archers in the head by the time I reach the other end of it. (This wants a horse with a high Charge stat, or else you'll slow down too much after bumping into one or two archers). Then I go evasive, 'beaming' them counter-clockwise to show them my shield, widely spiraling outward to increase the distance.

Any arrows they shoot at me as I circle them in this defensive manner are arrows not hitting my men, and with my speed and shield, I can handle a few arrows better than my stationary archers can. And if the enemy archers give up shooting at me, well, then I repeat the maneuver, taking another few of them out, and again disrupting them & drawing their attention.

That pretty much sums it up. There's a little bit of dynamic-ness to it, but mostly the battles follow the same loose pattern when you have a setup like mine, use my tactics, and are facing Khuzait. This is all assuming you're playing on max difficulty.

Last edited:
What tactics and tricks? There is nothing needed in this game, just like Warband. Archer only army make them in one line don't even bother with loose formation and let them open fire when the enemy are in range. If they sit back and defend then just slowly inch forward and eventually you'll be in range to open fire. This worked for me in Warband with Rhodok Sharpshooters and now works in Bannerlord with Fianns. In fact it's even worse here with the mass recruit armies, barely any have shields or armour and just die to a single arrow/bolt, and if they don't they have to kill 100 fians with armour and 2 handed swords.

EDIT: Things like this is why I always find it amusing that people enjoy the singleplayer more than the multiplayer, there is literally no depth to the singleplayer game, just an endless meat grind that I got bored of doing in the original M&B never mind this one(that I had high hopes would have some more diplomacy, tactics and strategy)

Thats why I'd like to see a crouched and sprinting enemy troop at times to throw the player off. If the enemy AI sometimes detached a very fast shock infantry to charge/flank archers it would at least force player to adjust quickly -now thats granted the enemy AI has landscape features to aid it.

what's your battle tactics or tricks??
1. Shallow-vee formation for archers/horse archers, so the guys on the far ends can get around shield-bearing infantry as they get to close range.

2. With an infantry anvil, using heavy cav as my hammer but instead of the Charge command (wasteful and scattershot) I instead give them a move order from one flank of the enemy to the other, ideally with enough width in their formation to drag across their archers as well. It looks like a squeegee when you pull it off correctly, and you can immediately repeat rather than letting your cav take some crazy long trip before turning around.

3. Mamluke-style horse archery: mounts stationary, only moving to redeploy to a new position. Combined with heavy cav to force the enemy to give up an exposed flank. Put the heavy cav on follow orders and angle yourself so they just barely contact one side of the eny formation. If you do it right, like fifty dudes spin their shields around and catch arrows to the back, you don't lose any heavy cav and the enemy formation sorta comes apart.

4. I never use the Face Direction command. Instead I use the drag-and-drop troop placement because it let's you set your formation width and fixes their orientation.

5. Speaking of width, never deploy your units deep. They should be in a wide ribbon, ideally wider than the enemy. In the case of infantry, give a Charge command as the enemy gets close and the ends of your formation will collapse in on their flanks. For cavalry there are some times you want a narrow front, like maneuvering around to clip the corners of the enemy formation, but if you ever pull off a rear flank, you want them as wide as possible.

6. The most devastating possible charge is one with javelin cav at a trot, arrayed as wide as practical, on Hold Fire orders until you reach about 30 meters. Let them throw then give them Move command through the enemy formation and well beyond. Done right, you'll drop one dude for every cavalryman you commited.

Back
Top Bottom