What's up with South Park?

Users who are viewing this thread

Disclaimer: i don't want the show banned, i just want to understand how it got so popular.

I never understood why this tv series exist.
Or why it got so popular.

The series feature kids getting anally ****ed, racist humor, toilet humor and other cheap way to get a laugh.
I argued this with a friend and he said south park was a social critique show and was art.

The ****...
Social critique? you call attacking everything these two **** heads (the show makers) hate a social critique?

Since I'm a known idiot with no taste (according to my south park loving friend), i'll let my better (taleworlds forum) tell me why South Park is such a great thing.
Why did it got so popular?

Because its self-aware and actually tries, which is more than most of its competition of animated adult shows. The stories are usually coherent and, no matter how crudely they say it, most episodes have something to say about our society. Also, it doesn't pull many of its punches and goes full on with its vulgarity and offensive nature, which some people like. I don't actually watch South Park anymore, and haven't for years, so don't take my word for complete truth.

I admit i do play the games from time to time.
But man that level of crudeness.
It doesn't offend me but i feel like i should be doing something else than watching/playing this.

When i was a kid, i loved the show because fart noise made me laugh but i was underage at the time.

Indeed. It is a show that has closely satirised the various elements of society with fairly fresh and risqué antics. At least, when it started in 1997. Of course, a large amount of the audience were just teenagers enjoying raw rudeness and rudity that liked touching boobies huh huh huhuhuh h hheeh he he boobies hehe hehehe hehe TP for my bunghole. However, it wasn't just anal gape rapeness. These days it's still perfectly acceptable, but it suffers from the same problems other shows do that stick to the same formula for 20 years.

Very much like the early days of Beevis & Butthead and The Simpsons, it had depth beyond the surface anal rape and anti-establishment gash. They are all interesting shows, Rebel. Hell, Mike Judge went on to make some real corkers! King of the Hill, Office Space, it's all good work!

Never got into it, but then again I used to read Oink!, a UK comic with a lot of crude references.  I keep thinking theres this desperate attempt to shock.

Then again, Friday night youth stuff had people throwing up and re ingesting their own puke, the word, eurotrash, all fun stuff for youths. 

Never understood beavis and butthead. 

I've been a big fan since I was 8 or 9 (despite not being allowed to watch it at the time), and bigger after moving to Colorado. Although, I think the new episode the other night was below average. For my money, seasons 3 through 6 are probably my favorite (not to say that there hasn't been anything good since then - I also quite liked the last two and a half, long-form story seasons).

I like South-Park. I think crudeness is a lame excuse not to watch it if you think it's funny.

Back
Top Bottom