What's up with mass renown?!

Users who are viewing this thread

The renown value is stated as the battle begins. The value received at the end is always the same as the value stated at the beginning. Therefore, because it states the reward before the player does anything, I don't see how it can be based on kills. I thought it was determined by odds alone.

Edit: Oh, that was a suggestion.

Lord Sami said:
Orion said:
The entire renown acquisition system:

if (Enemy killed by player)
Enemy casualties + 1
X = (Enemy Level - Player level) * [0.1 * (Battle Advantage * -1)]
if (X > 0)
Renown rewarded = Renown rewarded + X

else if (Enemy killed by player troops)
Enemy casualties + 1
X = (Enemy level - Player level) * [.075 * (Battle advantage * -1)]
if (X > 0)
Renown rewarded = Renown rewarded + X

*snip*

Forgive my lack of knowledge in programming, but would this mean that if a player character kills an enemy with a lower level than his, he won't get any renown? Is my math head failing me?

That's exactly how it would work. Last time I checked, the highest level unit was level 26 or some such, that being a Nord Huscarl. In this way, you'd have to kill the most elite faction troops in order to get any renown on a per-kill basis. After you've hit level 27, it would be based on your troop kills vs. your troop losses, and the battle advantage.

Initially I proposed the idea because I was fed up with going in to a battle, killing all but the last one or two guys, and then getting knocked out and losing it all. You would think stories would spread about some guy who killed 50 men before he was captured, but apparently that's not how word of mouth works in Calradia.

Hmm, sounds interesting. I quess I'd have to forget importing my lvl 47 character, since it would propably take years to get 150 renown... I'd be more than happy to see something like this implemented (in a mod, if not the vanilla), but I personally would prefer if the amount of renown rewarded for a kill was only reduced (say, to ½ or 1/4) instead of being completely removed once you out-level your enemies. Thoughts?

So if you're strong enough to kill ten opponents single-handedly, you get famous for it. Then you level up, become strong enough to slaughter a hundred of them... but nobody's interested? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Well, I suppose every story gets old at some point. Once you've slaughtered 126354 people, who gives a flying crap about you killing a hundred more? So yeah, I do see you point Orion. At least when starting a character from scratch instead of importing an old one.

Orion said:
If renown was stored in the character's .txt files when you exported them, it wouldn't be a problem. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, either.
Well, anyone making this mod/addition better remember to do that. I'd even prefer to see this in the vanilla, if possible.

This suggested change would definitely give some balance to the way renown is received. You'd actually have to work for it, and as you get more skilled you'd have to seek more challenging foes. No more watching aside while your massive army destroys everything you point your finger at.

Lord Sami said:
No more watching aside while your massive army destroys everything you point your finger at.

Though my suggestion does allow a "leader" type player to still gain renown without getting his/her hands dirty. There's a slight decrease in the amoutn of renown that a player receives from a troop kill. However, if I remember right (and without looking back to check my psuedocode) there is no level cap on receiving renown from troop kills. So a commander-type player can receive potentially more renown over time than a hard-hitting brute with an axe. Eventually, the brute will have to learn how to lead troops, or just get mass hordes of them, while the leader can continue getting renown at the same, lower rate as before.

I'm also considering an addition for knocking out lords. It would make sense to get more renown for defeating a lord, but I think the last time I thought of this I only wanted it to give a reward if the player dealt the blow. I have to think of a way to make it balanced between the leaders and the bleeders.

Orion said:
Though my suggestion does allow a "leader" type player to still gain renown without getting his/her hands dirty. There's a slight decrease in the amoutn of renown that a player receives from a troop kill. However, if I remember right (and without looking back to check my psuedocode) there is no level cap on receiving renown from troop kills. So a commander-type player can receive potentially more renown over time than a hard-hitting brute with an axe. Eventually, the brute will have to learn how to lead troops, or just get mass hordes of them, while the leader can continue getting renown at the same, lower rate as before.
I see. Well, this certainly suits me. I suppose it would be a bit difficult to earn all that renown just by killing hordes of people by yourself. You become a renowned commander instead of a renowned fighter.

I think the idea of getting a renown bonus for knocking out lords sounds very interesting. I'm always having my troops stay back so that I can get my hands on the enemy lords myself. There's nothing more satisfying than winning a duel against the enemy factions leader in the middle of a battle field, and in front of his own men! So I'd be cool if you could make this work.

When I made the original thread, it died after 2 pages. :roll: Don't know what the deal was, but I took ideas from those who replied to heart, and made it all work. It'd be awesome if Armagan would implement it, or if a modder could find a way to use it.

Back
Top Bottom