What's this armour more likely to be...

This armour is more likely ... :

• The armour worn by William at Hastings in 1066!!!!11

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • An english early XVIIth century half armour

Votes: 116 95.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Having a small argument with Dimos here about this piece of equipment... Hope you all can help us out...  :roll:
dscf1580_mid.jpg

I think he's joking.

As far as I know, it looks like a breastplate with faulds and pauldrons. Neat helm, too.

It's Dimos. He doesn't seem to have the firmest of grips on history, so I wouldn't put it past him.

I just read the thread, and it was damn funny  :lol:, it's hard to believe that he really thought it was William the Conqueror's armour. Would have been a good oportunity to trick him into adding a stormtrooper suit by claiming it used to belong to Harold  :razz:

I agree with it being about 17th Century in timeframe - it's probably from around the Thirty Years War, or The English Civil War.

The armour on the wall behind it looks like Pikeman armour, and there's a Tri-bar Pot helmet on there too - so yeah, i'd say 17th Century.

It looks like it started as a joke reply to the topic, and then he continued once he realised he could wind you up.

Certain of.

Are you Dutch? If so, that's an easy mistake to make. (Ofcourse, it might have been a slip of the finger.)

I hate when my sloppy fingers betray me through their incompetence and clumsiness, but I don't think punishing them by banging them repeteadly with a hammer so that they'd learn a lesson or two _ my method of choice _  would help me there, unfortunately...

On topic : the cause of  Dimos' confusion is now more of less clear. Well, the line of kings, the existence and purpose of which I wasn't aware of,  looks like a rather interesting exhibit, it's a good idea they kept it close to the original shape, and quote the original labels in the modern ones,  for the exhibit itself, and not only the items presented, is a historical object in itself. One should just make sure he reads the labels thoroughly. (the numbers  of travel sites over the internet where I read "the exhibit shows the armours of the Kings of England" _  when a simple "shows the armours fancifully and arbitrarily attributed to the Kings of England when it was set up in 1660" would have cleared any misunderstanding _ is rather worrying)

Back
Top Bottom