What's the technical issue for climbing ladder during siege?

Users who are viewing this thread

My dear TW developers:
Now its 1.61 but TW still not fixing the soldiers gathering around ladder but don't know how to climb ladder during siege.
the sieging experience is terrible, I would rather just let computer fight for it self.

I am very disappointed, but also wondering, what can cause this issue?
I am not a game developer, but I know programming and coding.

My assumption is, a ladder is a dynamic object, which offer a dynamic path a soldier (which is also an object) can pass through
when many soldiers near a ladder, and is programmed to pass through the ladder (climb the ladder), solider just freeze, because it doesn't know who should go first
because climbing a ladder should take order, who goes first, who goes seconds, who goes next, etc.
but computer soldiers doesn't know, I mean, to be fair, even in real life, real soldiers doesn't know who should go first, real people just rash one by one too

is that the technical issue that TW can't solve??? the order of path??

if so, may I suggest that how about we compromise?? we only allow the ladder at the beginning of siege, so the ladder are not dynamic path anymore, its a fix path, so the soliders knows how to pass through the ladder

just my crazy thoughts

I think you might have found the issue here.

can you elaborate further on this?

create a 3-4 ladders that is already connect the wall and the land by the beginning of siege battle.
Then the soldiers will run to those ladders and climb it,
since it's already set up before battle begin, it is no longer dynamic path anymore, it's a fixed path

I think the problem is the ladder is not set up pre-battle, so it's dynamic path, that's why the soliders doesn't know what to do

create a 3-4 ladders that is already connect the wall and the land by the beginning of siege battle.
this would nullify the interaction of putting up the ladder and having them poke it down with the fork stick

but still won't help for siege towers ladders which is actually more of a problem than actual ladders

this would nullify the interaction of putting up the ladder and having them poke it down with the fork stick

but still won't help for siege towers ladders which is actually more of a problem than actual ladders
yeah I think that's the problem, the game can't have ladder being poke down with fork stick, because that's a dynamic object with dynamic path
if the ladder is fixed object, then it wont cause the issue
that's why I suggest to disable the "set up the ladder", "poke down the ladder"

The solution can't be to rob the game of features to make it work, it can only be to fix the problem.
IT's been a year since release, if TW can fix the problem easily, they would already fix it, isn't it??
and I would argue that most players don't even care if the ladder is already set up before battle or not
players just want the game to be working, just climb the damn ladder,

it's better than what we have now, which is absolutely nothing, soliders stands there and do nothing,

hmm pretty sure ladders worked fine when the game was released didn't they? I remember seeing the soldiers running with the ladders on hand, deploying them and then use them without issues. Was this broken with a later patch or is it ladders specific to siege towers?

hmm pretty sure ladders worked fine when the game was released didn't they? I remember seeing the soldiers running with the ladders on hand, deploying them and then use them without issues. Was this broken with a later patch or is it ladders specific to siege towers?
No they've been borked since day 1. That's why so many players are frustrated with sieges.

They did work for me back then. However, I made a pause of several months not playing and up now in my new save I haven't been participating in sieges yet.

They need to make siege towers an internal ramp so soldiers run up to the top instead of climbing. I dont care if they fix ladders just give the damn towers a ramp.

The level 1 walls work great with the ramp towers do this for the other levels to, even if it is just a circular ramp due to the walls being so much higher.

They did work for me back then. However, I made a pause of several months not playing and up now in my new save I haven't been participating in sieges yet.
Once in a blue moon they would work properly but the vast majority of the time you ended up getting a mosh pit sitting at the bottom of ladders with 1 guy climbing and getting quickly smashed and siege towers were even worse. :cry:

They need to make siege towers an internal ramp so soldiers run up to the top instead of climbing. I dont care if they fix ladders just give the damn towers a ramp.

The level 1 walls work great with the ramp towers do this for the other levels to, even if it is just a circular ramp due to the walls being so much higher.
I agree, I don't even care if the siege towers are already there, and we just get charge to siege tower and attack the wall,

We definitely don't want to go back to WB sieges where fixed ladders were in sieges. Did you play WB ?

I suspect soldiers herd around ladders on purpose ! .. so defending archers can have a chance of shooting them. Sieges ATM happen too quickly - Ladders are already at the walls - clear paths for rams and siege towers allows them to get to the gates / walls fairly quickly. VERY unhistoric. I suspect development team noticed this and decided a quick fix might be to herd soldiers on ladders / towers, allowing archers time to inflict casualties.

My opinion only.

While I think that the ladders system should remain as it is (dynamic, put up and poke down system), towers would indeed be far more efficient with a ramp system only. Allowing troops to flood in mass once it hits the wall.
Towers are currently one of the most buggy way to loose all your troops.

My assumption is, a ladder is a dynamic object, which offer a dynamic path a soldier (which is also an object) can pass through
when many soldiers near a ladder, and is programmed to pass through the ladder (climb the ladder), solider just freeze, because it doesn't know who should go first
because climbing a ladder should take order, who goes first, who goes seconds, who goes next, etc.
but computer soldiers doesn't know, I mean, to be fair, even in real life, real soldiers doesn't know who should go first, real people just rash one by one too
Queue before the ladder is the problem. One of the issues is the distance of the formation from the ladder, which is tweakable (see signature for proof), in vanilla too many troops are pushing into the ladder in one place. Another issue is amount of people in the waiting queue (que is not the entire formation, just the twitching people in front of it), this is again tweakable. Final problem is that one queue is assigned to 2 ladders at the same time and 3 ladders in case of siege tower. In case of two ladders, its kinda workable by tweaking the numbers and various values in the code. However siege tower is such a mosh pit (because ladders are too close too each other and troops cannot push through one another into their assigned ladders) that troops cannot reach side ladders most of the time. Then there is general problem of troops pushing each other like suicidal robots (in field battles, sieges, just everywhere) which is responsible for many problems and balancing issues (this can be again fixed even by modding, but its general overhaul of behaviour, we did it in RBM but I am not sure if its for everyone or if it fits with general design of the game).

While I think that the ladders system should remain as it is (dynamic, put up and poke down system), towers would indeed be far more efficient with a ramp system only. Allowing troops to flood in mass once it hits the wall.
Towers are currently one of the most buggy way to loose all your troops.
if this technical issue can't be solve, then as player, can we comprise to let the siege tower pre-build right next to wall? and player can just command "everyone , charge!" and these little monkeys can just climb the steps to the wall?

if this technical issue can't be solve, then as player, can we comprise to let the siege tower pre-build right next to wall? and player can just command "everyone , charge!" and these little monkeys can just climb the steps to the wall?
The current siege design is ok and I kinda like the fact that towers may be destroyed during the moving phase.
I'd prefer towers to work as intended(dynamic), more than simply make them a static object.

Back
Top Bottom