What's so special about manual driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Maybe not, but I wouldn't trust a computer to drive my car for me either.
Last summer I spent driving cars to and from the airport for the car rental company.  I can't count how many times I was almost killed by some idiot that doesn't know how to drive.  I don't trust people to drive cars.

Gculk said:
Last summer I spent driving cars to and from the airport for the car rental company.  I can't count how many times I was almost killed by some idiot that doesn't know how to drive.  I don't trust people to drive cars.

Further proof that Canadians are **** drivers.

I like driving a manual, it's oldschool and it keeps me from falling a sleep and/or feeling like I'm driving a Star Destroyer. This is my grandfathers Audi A6 from the 2000's.

The most sinister Mr. Pavlov and The Pavenis said:
Same thing as with the new EVO. Two dudes at the track here have the two different models. The MR, and the GSR. They went at it like 4 time, MR version won every time. You simply can't be as effective as a computer.

Pretty sure the EVO's have computer controlled sequential boxes, not Auto boxes.

sneakey pete said:
The most sinister Mr. Pavlov and The Pavenis said:
Same thing as with the new EVO. Two dudes at the track here have the two different models. The MR, and the GSR. They went at it like 4 time, MR version won every time. You simply can't be as effective as a computer.

Pretty sure the EVO's have computer controlled sequential boxes, not Auto boxes.

Yeah the MR version uses the twin clutch gearbox, or the "Twin Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission".  They call it "semi-automatic" but when I drove it it seemed pretty fully automatic to me, unless you use the faggy little steer wheel shifters on "manual" mode. Which was kind of useless anyways, on auto mode the drive was much more aggressive.

No, my point is, it has the same clutch with gears setup as a manual gearbox, with a computer controlled clutch.
800px-Manual_transmission_clutch_Neutral.PNG

Whereas an 'automatic' in the tradition sense has a torque converter and sun gears in the gearbox.
Automatic_transmission_cut.jpg

Lhorkan said:
Zaro,

sneakey pete said:
Just letting you know, its no longer the 80's. Its 2009 this year.

Automatics, with the exception of Asian cars, are really smart nowadays. They're always in the right gear.

The automatics I've driven were Asian.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
mournful said:
Automatics sort of put another layer between you and the machine you're driving. But manuals can be annoying in stop and go traffic.

Stop and go traffic is annoying in itself regardless of whether you're driving a car or riding a bike.

True, but for the bike it's more about boredom and less about having to use a manual.

Redcoat - Mic said:
What the **** manual car has five gears?
Luxury. Back when I were a lad, we only 'ad one gear - forward at pace of t'snail. And we were grateful!

pfft, its very simple which to choose. if you live in the sticks, get a manual, for sure. If you live in the city, have experienced peak hour traffic, every day, going to, and from work, for more then 6 months and STILL have a Manuel. Your a tosser that needs a lobotomy. Though that doof doof **** pounding in your ears will do that for you surely enough.

I put these retards in the same category as the city 4x4...****ing ridiculous.

Redcoat - Mic said:
What the **** manual car has five gears?
Well for one my '88 jeep wrangler is a 5 gear. Anyway...

I am still a relatively new driver but I learned on and currently drive a manual. I admit at first I really hated it but now I like it, I hate stop and go traffic and hills but I like it. I also get uncomfortable when driving other cars other than my jeep like my parents cars. Like yesterday I moved my dads truck up (automatic) so I could vacuum it, even driving it just a block felt really weird because it acts so different from what I usually use. A hell of a lot more touchy thats for sure.

But I must say I do think everyone should at least learn manual for those just in case moments. Like your the designated driver but your buddies car is a manual, or theres a emergency and the only available car is a manual, or even just learning to ride a motorcycle (to my knowledge most 'cycles are not automatic). Its a useful skill to have regardless of your car preferences.

userpay said:
But I must say I do think everyone should at least learn manual for those just in case moments. Like your the designated driver but your buddies car is a manual, or theres a emergency and the only available car is a manual, or even just learning to ride a motorcycle (to my knowledge most 'cycles are not automatic). Its a useful skill to have regardless of your car preferences.
Preach the truf brother!

Back
Top Bottom