What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Well once you have GC you have to establish residence here and they can take it away if you're gone for longer than, I think a year or maybe just 6 months. I don't know how rigorously they enforce it.

I found out they can also get me in later on since I’m not married. Just a few months ago I decided to settle in Turkey to live with my family. Now I can both work in the US and take my family there. My time spent working here is potentially wasted. And I will also experience decision anxiety once again :sad: I already decided to not do a PhD in economics and I also quitted my master in economics. Now it will be a second big life decision in a single year. Can my 9 year old sister handle emigration? Can my parents who don't speak English at all manage to earn a living? My work experience in Turkey will be null in the US, though I have a degree from Oxford which should work fine. idk

Last edited:
I suggest making sure you understand the implications and how the immigration system works in the US before making any decisions. It might be relatively quick for them to get there, but I don't know that it will be for you. As far as I know the only reliable way for anyone to become a permanent resident through family ties is marrying a US citizen, or being younger than 21 if your parents get a green card. You can get other relatives in as a permanent resident, but it's a much longer process. There's also the fact that green card applications are not exactly cheap, although perhaps that's different with the lottery. Not a lawyer or anything so don't take my word for it, but be aware that the american immigration system is a confusing mess.

Also I would consider what are they going to do for healthcare, depending on how old they are and what health issues they have. And as you say, what kind of job they will do when they get there, unless they have some other source of income. As someone who immigrated relatively recently, I can tell you that the US are not as great to live in as one would sometimes be led to believe from abroad. Especially right now.

Minor pandemic scare at work this week.
sO7tic8.jpg

Fun and exciting times, these.

Is there another place where any of the og folk here chat or discuss ****? I know there's a Discord but that's... Discord. **** moves too fast there.

There was a WhatsApp for awhile, but I haven't heard about it in a couple of years so I imagine it'd been deprecated in favor of the... various discords. I think there are at least three.

Very promising indeed. I'll have to see how busy I'll be next year, and if I can automate the needed processes to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom