What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Just go with cremation, you won't have to experience the horror of being buried alive that way.
Do it open air so people get to feel uncomfortable about how good your cooking body smells.

As for me...I recently got introduce to lil' nas x by a friend on youtube.... and I have become rediculously into him, as in the first person I could personally describe as a gay 'icon'. I feel like a creep. :/

You definitely aren't the right person to help her. At best, you might try talking to her family and getting them to encourage her to seek professional help (probably both therapeutic and pharmacological if she is suicidal) if she isn't already receiving it.

Also be sure to take care of yourself, 'cause that's a big ****ing burden to place on yourself.

Finished Yes, Your Grace. It is a kind of medieval king-is-making-decisions type of game where petitioners come before the throne to raise their complaints to the king. It is similar in its feel to Papers please, but gameplay-wise, the game is an utter disaster - 3/10 or so. The design is just pure stupidity, with random mechanics thrown in to make it even more confusing. Bland, repetitive, the choices in helping your subjects are reduced to pure numbers because peasants' writing is pure **** and consequences nonexistent.

Anyway, I still rate it highly due to its story. It is not exactly stellar or anything, but the main strength comes from your character - a king with a wife and three daughters. Basically, the story is mediocre but just the father-daughter and husband-wife interactions provide so much atmosphere that you are willing to overlook pretty much everything else. The events befalling your family are pretty dark in the game so there is a lot of hugging and comforting one another, the king is joyful around his youngest daughter but willing to express insecurities around his wife and so on.

So, yeah, on my mind is that it is a little sad that game characters are often written to have no background, no history, no family and no sense of belonging anywhere. I suppose it is so that the character is blank and the player is not forced a background he might not like, but I would very much like a game in which I can for example visit my parents or have a meaningful relation with anyone.

Or maybe it is just that people interactions are so badly written in games that any hint of normality and ordinariness, like the king scolding his daughter for playing with swords or a boy running with his girl alongside the river to have a date in Kingdom Come, feels like a very strong breath of fresh air.

I just read Adorno's recent post one what made you laugh today about how a delirious woman misstook him for husband.
That reminded me of a when I had to join my aunt on her visit to her mother in law in a nursery home.
I was in elementary school back then, I wasn't older then ten.
While I was there, a group of women approached us and one of them misstook me for her nephew.
I was asked by my aunt to be so kind to spent some time with these old ladies and I reluctanly did. I think I played chess with one of them and all the time this one women was asking about my supposed parents and calling me by her nephew's name. Everytime I told her that she is mistaking me for someone else. Well, for me being a small, shy, boy it was a really uncomfortable situation and a little bit scary. I was so happy when after a two-hour-long eternatiy I was finally picked-up to leave.
Well, I can understand that it probably ment a lot to these old ladies but right now I am a little bit angry with my aunt, that she just left me with strangers.
I haven't remembered this day in ages or maybe even ever.

I've been "living" in my sister's apartment for the last 2 weeks while she's in america. It's been great. It's closer into central london than where I live so there are even more dirty grocers run by kurds and eastern european shops where they seem shocked that a black man who is already carrying a mountain of food is looking at the Kizsona and Lukanka like an old woman.

Being able to go out when I want, cook what I want, work literally the entire day and go to bed without having to deal with two very bored, very micromanagey authoritarian parents is amazing. They get angry at me if I cook in bulk, so guess what I've been doing every 3-4 days. The best part is that every ingredient I could possibly think of is within walking distance, and some of it is absurdly cheap. I can cook enough to last me 3 days for just £5.

I thought it would feel weird being locked up in a tiny apartment for 3-4 weeks, but honestly I'm kind of dreading going back. Cooking 3 full pots of whatever fusion nonsense pops into my head is a beautiful feeling.

What's preventing you from living on your own? You literally lived in the middle of rural China for a while, I would imagine you have both the means and the required level of independence to live on your own.

What's preventing you from living on your own?

Rent which exceeds minimum wage by 300% at the lowest, house prices which have increased 10x in the last 30 years, and wages which have remained static for decades.
The only reason my sister can even afford this place is because her husband has rich relatives.

What's preventing you from living on your own? You literally lived in the middle of rural China for a while, I would imagine you have both the means and the required level of independence to live on your own.

If by "lived" you mean I stayed in a tiny concrete mahjong room for 2 weeks then yeah. :lol:

I mean, with your skills and the entire world working remotely now you wouldn't need to stay in London unless

A) You love it way too much
B) You wouldn't consider leaving due to family/SO, etc.

But if neither of those applies, why don't you go somewhere pretty but cheap, where you can get a remote job paid in Pounds or US Dollars and live extremely comfortably?

It doesn't need to be a dangerous **** hole, there are so many places that are amazing, safe, beautiful, and cheap, not only in Europe :smile:

Now that corporate workplaces are primarily remote because of the plague, maybe there could be new job opportunities for you that might not have been available when you were searching?

Why don't you try freelancing through something like Upwork?

If you need help with networking or your LinkedIn you can always send me a PM, I recruit people for a living (well, I used to, I now mostly work on culture but I still have recruiters reporting to me) so I can try to help out :smile:

@Count Delinard @Kentucky James VII I had a similar experience in the US after moving in with my wife. I have experience with data analysis and I am (academically) qualified, but I didn't know anyone in the "right places" (probably didn't help that I moved to a new country). I tried freelancing on Upwork and Kolabtree but I didn't have much luck, they don't seem to select the clients much, if at all. I remember a potential customer on Kolabtree that basically wanted me to do his PhD thesis (which is probably illegal, certainly unethical).

As far as non freelancing jobs go, I applied to I think around 100 positions. I got phone interviews for six, a second in person interview for two. One wanted me to start working for them "on the side", without being paid, then "we'll see how it goes". The second would have been a cool job, but the interview didn't go very well and I probably was not a good fit (too heavy on C++ coding).

Ended up getting a job in academia that does not pay as much but... The professor I work with knew me, and people in the field know me. Will probably end up staying on this career track even if it's not necessarily what I would prefer. Applying for jobs online sure is convenient, but I think in a sense it made the process much harder.

Mom and dad seem to have won Greencards. They didn't literally win it yet, but they were selected in the lottery and the interview doesn't seem to be selective at all if the random internet people are to be trusted
Wtf, congrats. If the interview is anything like the spouse Green Card interview, then they should be fine. They already vetted me (= my identity and the genuineness of the marriage) from the paperwork I had to submit, so they just asked a couple of basic questions to see thatI won't pause to think when we got married etc. Since this is not applicable for lottery, I'm guessing it will be just a formality. They will be probably just want them to bring the originals of birth certificates and other identity stuff and the medical exam results and hand it over in person and take their fingerprints.

Back
Top Bottom