What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Looking back at some of my old posts from a couple of years ago. Wow. I hadn't realized how much my circumstances and state of mind had changed in the last couple of years. It felt slightly cringeworthy, reading how I felt then, compared to now. Back then I felt so bored and depressed because I wasn't doing anything. I especially wanted to spend more time at the farm, but I didn't have the training or experience yet to do very much there. And now, I'm working six days a week there. This spring I spent a few weeks running one of the big tractors just about every day, getting land tilled and ready for planting (a pretty important job). That got tiring, but it felt good to be busy and to do something that made a difference to people I care about. Today, me and my uncle and cousin bagged and stacked over 600 50-pound bags of beans, to be shipped out next week. That was a lot, too, but again, the camaraderie and the sense of accomplishment felt great.

A couple of years ago, and more recently than that, I was pining over a girl I never saw enough of and couldn't seem to connect with and... ugh, what a mess. That shouldn't have happened, man. I met a beautiful girl very casually a few times over the course of a few years, and in between those times my mind ****ing ran away with itself and turned everything into a mess. It's still not completely un-messed as regards to her, but at least I'm not thinking about her romantically anymore, thank God. I'm an idiot. I'm not sure if I'm going to meet anyone else anytime in the next few years, but another nice thing about work is that it doesn't leave me much time to sit around the house and dream about girls. Which is definitely a good thing. Here's hoping I can stay busy and maintain a clear mind in the next few years to come.

Old problems starting to show their ugly heads once more

I should have stayed in Italy :dead:

I said old problems not elderly problems

There's some new problems aswell, old childhood friend that I was very close with until Italy seems to have turned his back on everyone, me included. Allegedly takes steroids and hangs out with less than tasteful people. In addition, it might just be general stress and anxiety, but I really feel like I'm no one's best friend anymore, the second choice to everyone

That's the second funeral this month over with. Maybe now I can actually do something productive next month and even have a real vacation in August. Doing nothing as opposed to this month where I did nothing but was slightly more melancholy about it.

I read an online Independent article about Hans Christian Andersen, which went into some detail about his life and personality. He had many strange foibles, including this tidbit:

He positioned a note beside his bed every time he slept which read: "I only appear to be sleeping", in case anyone thought he was dead and buried him alive.

Did he indeed, how curious and amus...hang on, it doesn't make sense. If this fellow wrote all these imaginative stories he was surely rather clever in general terms, so it can't have been beyond his reasoning that the best note to write to persuade someone that you are not dead would read "I only appear to be dead". If you write "I only appear to be sleeping" it implies that you are in fact awake- the reader may even assume that the unspoken end of the message should read "....I am actually dead". Upon whispering your name gently, and not getting a response, the person inspecting you is bound to come to one of three conclusions; one, that your note is honest but that you are ignoring them. Two, that you are in fact asleep, and therefore a liar. Three, that you are dead, probably from whatever disease caused you to go a bit mental and leave notes by your bedside stating that you weren't asleep.

If, then, you have the misfortune to be exposed to someone so incredibly presumptuous that they bury people on the flimsy basis that they haven't moved or spoken for a few minutes whilst lying on a bed, such a note is likely to do you no favours whatsoever.

I read an online Independent article about Hans Christian Andersen, which went into some detail about his life and personality. He had many strange foibles, including this tidbit:

He positioned a note beside his bed every time he slept which read: "I only appear to be sleeping", in case anyone thought he was dead and buried him alive.

Did he indeed, how curious and amus...hang on, it doesn't make sense. If this fellow wrote all these imaginative stories he was surely rather clever in general terms, so it can't have been beyond his reasoning that the best note to write to persuade someone that you are not dead would read "I only appear to be dead". If you write "I only appear to be sleeping" it implies that you are in fact awake- the reader may even assume that the unspoken end of the message should read "....I am actually dead". Upon whispering your name gently, and not getting a response, the person inspecting you is bound to come to one of three conclusions; one, that your note is honest but that you are ignoring them. Two, that you are in fact asleep, and therefore a liar. Three, that you are dead, probably from whatever disease caused you to go a bit mental and leave notes by your bedside stating that you weren't asleep.

If, then, you have the misfortune to be exposed to someone so incredibly presumptuous that they bury people on the flimsy basis that they haven't moved or spoken for a few minutes whilst lying on a bed, such a note is likely to do you no favours whatsoever.

This whole thing stinks of translation error.

You misunderstand. Appear to be sleeping is a poor translation of the word "skindød", which is a condition where a person appears dead. The annecdote is true, but he could not write "I appear to be sleeping" because that is easily verified (by waking up the person). He had to write "appear dead (skindød)".
Google Translate says skindød means suspended animation. I'm not familiar with that.
It's still absurd, but HC Andersen was an odd fellow, presumably a hypochondriac and had many other quirks.

A proper/correct translation is:
"I am only in suspended animation".

Last edited:
Fear of being buried alive is a fascinating thing that has lead to many funny precautions.
My grand-mother had her family promise to cut her wrist arteries when she died.
She eventually died at the hospital and they couldn't very well do it there :xf-smile:
True story according to my mother.

Back
Top Bottom