What's on your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plural for masculine words ending with o is i.
Plural for feminine words ending with a is e. It gets worse when you get to the many forms of "the".

I am quite aware that's the case throughout Chinese restaurants, it's like when tourists go to Asia, proclaiming that they can handle spicy food just because they put paprika powder on their buttered bread in school.

By the profits made by the corporations and companies, you mean that the culture itself which puts a great deal of prestige on hard work and good grades is good for business in that it's employees will always place social life second?

There's that, but the more material reason is that Singapore pioneered a kind of authoritarian capitalism in the 60s which everyone in the Sinosphere copied. The One Child policy, massive self-contained apartment complexes, Keynesianism on steroids, corporations working very closely with the state etc, all came from Singapore originally. That led to economic growth at a rate nobody in history has ever seen, with rice farmers having kids who become high tech nuclear researchers, leading to companies and parents and teachers all expecting / demanding that everyone dedicate their entire childhood to education in order to keep the economy expanding. The Confucian culture does play a bit of a role but I suspect that it's the Singapore model which shaped East Asian parenting methods rather than the other way round.

The main thing that makes East Asia exceptional is that corporations and the state don't have clear boundaries like in the rest of the world. Some Japanese corporations actually predate the state itself by centuries, while the larger Chinese corporations are just branded wings of the government and will do censorship and surveillance on their behalf. A Korean industrial firm can basically just ask the government to funnel students from university into their corporation. This is what "capitalism with Asian / Chinese values" is euphemism for: Totalitarian Capitalism.

I'm sorry not to reply with an equally detailed post but that sounds... Horrible. I was told of Samsung's questionable relation and collaboration with the Korean government but I never quite imagined something like that. What echoes in my mind is the reminder of how planned economy was/has been effective for essential wares/infrastructure of the country yet falls short when it comes to consumer goods, with the Keynesianism on drugs it seems to more than make up for that. No wonder that the far east has seen such economic upswing in the last decades. Is it customary throughout all of East Asia to more or less halt traffic and certain businesses/construction during exam day? If I recall correctly, in Korea it is by law required for taxi drivers to drive students to the exam for free if they are almost running late.

Finally had a work shift after 58 days in limbo. 12 solid hours, and I'm already done for the entire week.
This Human Malware stuff is starting to feel weird.

Oh, well, at least I don't live in one of the aforementioned hellish dystopias, I guess! :party:

There's that, but the more material reason is that Singapore pioneered a kind of authoritarian capitalism in the 60s which everyone in the Sinosphere copied. The One Child policy, massive self-contained apartment complexes, Keynesianism on steroids, corporations working very closely with the state etc, all came from Singapore originally. That led to economic growth at a rate nobody in history has ever seen, with rice farmers having kids who become high tech nuclear researchers, leading to companies and parents and teachers all expecting / demanding that everyone dedicate their entire childhood to education in order to keep the economy expanding. The Confucian culture does play a bit of a role but I suspect that it's the Singapore model which shaped East Asian parenting methods rather than the other way round.

The main thing that makes East Asia exceptional is that corporations and the state don't have clear boundaries like in the rest of the world. Some Japanese corporations actually predate the state itself by centuries, while the larger Chinese corporations are just branded wings of the government and will do censorship and surveillance on their behalf. A Korean industrial firm can basically just ask the government to funnel students from university into their corporation. This is what "capitalism with Asian / Chinese values" is euphemism for: Totalitarian Capitalism.

This is actually pretty interesting subject. May I ask where you acquired the knowledge of this topic?

Lord, it's hot. It feels like July. We weren't ready for this. I got the air conditioner for the bedrooms installed and running about an hour ago, so at least those rooms are beginning to cool down, but the rest of the house is hot. I'm so tired. It's too hot to sleep, though, without waking up and feeling hot and sweaty and worse overall, so... yay. I've never understood why people think summer is so awesome.

Back
Top Bottom