What would your view of America be if it isolated itself after WWII?

Would your view of the USA change if it politcally and militarily isolated itself after WWII?

• I would likely think better of it.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I would likely think about the same.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I would likely think worse of it.

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

socks said:
It's less that we don't stop talking and more that everyone else who isn't jealous stops talking out of respect when we want to say something.
That's not respect. That's confusion while they try and work out what language you're speaking in. I mean it sounds like English, but there's all these funny made up words. I mean faucet for example; sounds French FFS.

Archonsod said:
socks said:
It's less that we don't stop talking and more that everyone else who isn't jealous stops talking out of respect when we want to say something.
That's not respect. That's confusion while they try and work out what language you're speaking in. I mean it sounds like English, but there's all these funny made up words. I mean faucet for example; sounds French FFS.
What is this 'English' you speak of? We're talking in American.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
socks said:
I am a real American patriot, do not doubt me.
Double agent alert!

Plus, human governments have the innate fear of nukes, so when Uncle Sam speaks, all will listen. :razz:
By that logic when Nicolas Sarkozy speaks, all will listen, but who wants to listen to a few cowardly frogs?

Folthrik said:
lol @ all the blind nationalism on both sides

Pretty much. The problem with Nationalism is similar to the problem with religion in that people make it their top priority to follow. Sure, there is nothing wrong with a dollop of both of them, but if you stress them too much then they will cloud your mind and start to push away the big picture.

let's look at Cecil Rhodes.
Yes, a man remembered as an utter **** despite being nothing more than the archetypal man of his time.

You'll find that I said that myself.

Your logic of self-bias doesn't explain why so many Brits here vehemently despise America.

Jesus ****ing Zeus. If you Europeans are taking anything us Americans have said in this thread seriously, you must be wholly daft.

Archonsod said:
I mean it sounds like English, but there's all these funny made up words. I mean faucet for example; sounds French FFS.

when I was staying with some friends in the US I said to my friend "the tap is stuck"
he said "faucet" so I did and flooded his apartment

Urlik said:
Archonsod said:
I mean it sounds like English, but there's all these funny made up words. I mean faucet for example; sounds French FFS.

when I was staying with some friends in the US I said to my friend "the tap is stuck"
he said "faucet" so I did and flooded his apartment

:lol:

Blodheafodban said:
Say the United States returned to relative isolation after the end of World War II up to the present. No Korean War, Vietnam War, Iraq War et cetera. Would your views of the United States be better, worse or the same?

it'll be the same, because of this thing called envy. there will always be those who dislike the smart kid in class, or the star athlete. any nation that exceeds the others in terms of cultural pluralism, wealth, power, education, technology, etc, etc will naturally gain the ire of those less fortunate.

Elenmmare said:
Your logic of self-bias doesn't explain why so many Brits here vehemently despise America.

Wait.

What?

Americans think they're special because some brits here mock them?

Ahaha. Dude, you totally don't understant British humour. We mock our neighbours, because they don't live in our house. We mock people the next street over, because they don't live on our street. We mock people from the next town, because they don't live in our town. We mock people who live in the next county, because theirs is clearly inferior to ours. We mock people who aren't on our corner of the country, because their corner sucks. We mock the southerners because their half of the country is inferior. We mock the Welsh for not being English, the Scots for being themselves, the and the English for being neither. We mock the French for being snail-eating garlic-loving girly-men. We mock the Germans for failing at war (twice) and the Swedish for Abba.  We make fun of anywhere out of Europe, for not being European. We mock the Aussies for being in the wrong hemisphere and being usually better than us at our own sports. There is nothing special or unusual about Brits mocking Americans, it's just that you guys provide so much mock-worthy material that we let everybody else in on the action too. It's so much fun to see Americans sulking.

(And by 'Americans', I mean US folks. We like Canada (which, by the way, is mocked FAR more by yanks than anyone else - do you guys hate them or something???) And we like to think that SA is nothing but rainforest)

Really, mocking people and forming queues are at the heart of British culture. The American ego is just so big that many yanks think the world revolves around their country. It really doesn't.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
(And by 'Americans', I mean US folks. We like Canada (which, by the way, is mocked FAR more by yanks than anyone else - do you guys hate them or something???) And we like to think that SA is nothing but rainforest)

Canada? Nah. Actually our usual ability to mock ourselves is what makes me glad to be Canadian. However when Canadians spend half the year preparing for winter and the other half hurling insults at the Americans, only to be offended by a small (true) remark, that's what annoys me. It's also what gives me the impression that everyone can Mock the Yank, and when they shoot back in kind, they're mauled to death.

Take Fox News' mocking of the Canadian military. They made a remark that Belgium could defeat us in an open conflict, which is hyperbole but true in spirit. Instead of accepting that it was from Fox News and just part of our cross-border trade, Canadians harnessed their dogs, cried "Mush!" and scurried to our parliament, demanding that they demand an apology.

Just an example. I adore our ability in the West to hurl insults at eachother and ourselves; often it seems, however, that the U.S. gets the **** end of the stick.

Back
Top Bottom