What would you describe as "eyesores" in the current state of the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

volovos

Recruit
Anything that, while not exactly bugs or immersion breaking, you would describe as an eyesore. For me its:

- Auto-generated clans being called '[Leader's name]'s Clan' even after said leader is dead. There should be a clan-name generation system like there is for first names or if the player is the ruler, should have the option to name these new startup clans.
- Auto-Generated clan lords having really ****ty armor and never changing it
- The inability to edit a companion's inventory/armor when they have their own party.
- Companions that you made into lords maintaining their suffixes, I think the suffix should disappear since they're lords now and not wanderers.
- Lots of grammatical errors and all-around amateurish writing for flavor text/lore in the encyclopedia.
- Your children being born with really nonsensical hair styles. For example, in my Vlandian campaign my child was born with a Mongol hairstyle despite me and my wife both being Vlandians with typical hair of that culture.

None of these really affect the gameplay all that much, but they're just minor things that really bother me personally.

Siege icon remaining on the settlement after besieging army is destroyed in field battle. This might be the longest standing bug in the game.

Anything that, while not exactly bugs or immersion breaking, you would describe as an eyesore. For me its:

- Auto-generated clans being called '[Leader's name]'s Clan' even after said leader is dead. There should be a clan-name generation system like there is for first names or if the player is the ruler, should have the option to name these new startup clans.
- Auto-Generated clan lords having really ****ty armor and never changing it
- The inability to edit a companion's inventory/armor when they have their own party.
- Companions that you made into lords maintaining their suffixes, I think the suffix should disappear since they're lords now and not wanderers.
- Lots of grammatical errors and all-around amateurish writing for flavor text/lore in the encyclopedia.
- Your children being born with really nonsensical hair styles. For example, in my Vlandian campaign my child was born with a Mongol hairstyle despite me and my wife both being Vlandians with typical hair of that culture.

None of these really affect the gameplay all that much, but they're just minor things that really bother me personally.
Agree with most of these but disagree with the encyclopaedia bit.

Since 1.7.2, most encyclopaedia entries for cities and notable characters and game mechanics have had their grammatical errors fixed and quality of writing updated. There are still some floating around, but the vast majority are good.

To add to your list of eyesores:

- Some nobles wear helmets or armour that are actually lower quality/worse looking than what the troops behind them are wearing! Empire nobles are the worst offenders, all their helmets look tarnished or rusty. We have these great models for battle crowns and normal crowns and fancy armour in the game, but a lot of them don't get used at all.
- Vlandian Sergeant wearing an Empire culture Legionary cape, Sturgian Veteran Bowman wearing a fancy helmet that just doesn't suit the rest of his armour... And the green hood on the Banner Knight looks lame. Vlandia should have their own capes and shoulder armours that actually match the rest of their equipment.
- The Italo-Norman facemask helm is a good addition, but has an exposed gap at the neck.
- The rhomphaia existing.
- The menavlion being used as a weird slashing polearm instead of the pike it actually was in real life.
- In the animation for executing someone, I noticed the executioner is actually standing too close to the prisoner, and instead of hitting them with the axe blade he'll hit them with the handle when the screen goes black.
- Battanian Volunteers look like they just turned up for a friendly game of croquet. Why do so many of them use these two-handed mallets? What sort of semi-barbarian society needs large amounts of whack-a-mole, Looney Tunes, comically giant wooden hammers?
- The visible seam at the edge of the map.
- A lot of armours are too bulky in the body, and quite a few helmets look too big as well. Might have been an effort to avoid clipping issues on TW's part, if so I hope they find a different solution that looks better if possible.
- The reports sidebar is too cluttered up with information that isn't useful to you 90 % of the time, with no way of filtering out the thousandth report of who won what tournament and who got released from where.
- Pendraic and Pendraic Castle's location doesn't make sense from a lore perspective. How did the Empire get so deep and far north into Battanian territory? It's extremely far away from the Khuzaits and Aserai. There isn't even any forest nearby as described in the story. It should swap locations with, say, Rhemtoil and Rhemtoil Castle - which are on the border with the Empire, and have forests.
- WORST eyesore in the game is the masses of troops jiggling at high speed once they enter melee, though this probably would fall under the bug category.

Otherwise though? Game's presentation is ****ing fantastic, top notch visual style and UI, and looks great.

Last edited:
The absolute worst is when they 'fix' one thing without understanding which part was broken. BROKEN: Clicking. I click a mountain, zip back, no move. I click the wrong spot on a city or village, zip back, no move. 'FIX': Take away the icon so you don't even see if you've clicked anywhere. Zip back is now slower. Daytime button no longer centers on you. fIXeD!

The dreadlock haircut that Caladog has is probably the single worst thing in the game aesthetically.

Armor clipping and wonky cartoonish face asymmetry, and some tree clipping in town/village scenes, and then a variety of issues with Battanian towns are also sometimes a noticeable eyesore.

Huge problem for me is that when I siege a castle or city, and give it to a clan member, they don't do anything to defend it.
They do not reinforce the garrison, when the enemy is attacking they do not defend it at all, furthermore, the enemy can attack castles with only a small amount of soldiers and they just sit there forever as no one is attacking them.

That means I need do run all over the map with one army to defend all the places that is attacked. So if they don't do anything I would preferer to get the castles and cities myself and fill the garrisons with soldiers.

I would like to have more option in where to attack, to plan defenses and offensive campaigns.

Last edited:
Take a look at this blonde Mamluk: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/A_Mamluk_from_Aleppo.jpg

If anything, striving for historical accuracy would require Aserai to be ethnically diverse, possibly more so than other cultures.
That is true, the historical culture the Aserai represent are essentially generic middle eastern arabs which are phenotypically very diverse and can include blue eyes/blonde hair. But it's quit silly to see Aserai Sturgian lords or Khuzait Vlandians
I think that the probability for an NPC lord to marry another culture lord should be lower than that of the same culture, and only bordering cultures should be able to intermarry in the first place. Once you play 50+ years in the game, the cultures are all mixed together and really kills immersion when you want to RP as a specific culture, since it seems pretty pointless at that point.

That is true, the historical culture the Aserai represent are essentially generic middle eastern arabs which are phenotypically very diverse and can include blue eyes/blonde hair. But it's quit silly to see Aserai Sturgian lords or Khuzait Vlandians
I think that the probability for an NPC lord to marry another culture lord should be lower than that of the same culture, and only bordering cultures should be able to intermarry in the first place. Once you play 50+ years in the game, the cultures are all mixed together and really kills immersion when you want to RP as a specific culture, since it seems pretty pointless at that point.
Mamluks were neither Arabs nor Middle Eastern but the lands they ruled over or lived in contained Arabs and other peoples, resulting in the aforementioned ethnic diversity.

Take a look at this blonde Mamluk: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/A_Mamluk_from_Aleppo.jpg

If anything, striving for historical accuracy would require Aserai to be ethnically diverse, possibly more so than other cultures.
This discussion has been made on these forums before. In the time period Bannerlord represents (600AD-1100AD) mamluks were not yet rising up to become members of the nobility, though they occasionally held government posts. That didn't happen until the Mamluk Sultanate of 1250.

Besides, unless he's referring to character creation, it's also pretty obvious that these Sturgians popping up in Aserai lands and vice versa aren't mamluk slaves, they're members of the nobility who decided to marry cross-continent for no good reason whatsoever (the in-game reason for this behaviour is that clans make enemies way too easily at home and in neighbouring countries, so they have to look to the furthest away country to marry, making a huge amount of cross-continental marriages by the second generation).

As far as I'm aware, there are no historical examples from the 7th to 12th century of a Rus' prince marrying an Arabic princess. Or a Celtic princess marrying a Khazar prince.

PS: the mamluk image you posted is from 1816 (note the pistols in his waistband), which is after about 300 years of the Ottoman Empire raiding Europe and taking white slaves! Demographics in Arabian countries certainly looked different before and after the Mamluk Sultanate and Ottoman Empire.

Last edited:
Agree with most of these but disagree with the encyclopaedia bit.

Since 1.7.2, most encyclopaedia entries for cities and notable characters and game mechanics have had their grammatical errors fixed and quality of writing updated. There are still some floating around, but the vast majority are good.

To add to your list of eyesores:

- Some nobles wear helmets or armour that are actually lower quality/worse looking than what the troops behind them are wearing! Empire nobles are the worst offenders, all their helmets look tarnished or rusty. We have these great models for battle crowns and normal crowns and fancy armour in the game, but a lot of them don't get used at all.
- Vlandian Sergeant wearing an Empire culture Legionary cape, Sturgian Veteran Bowman wearing a fancy helmet that just doesn't suit the rest of his armour... And the green hood on the Banner Knight looks lame. Vlandia should have their own capes and shoulder armours that actually match the rest of their equipment.
- The Italo-Norman facemask helm is a good addition, but has an exposed gap at the neck.
- The rhomphaia existing.
- The menavlion being used as a weird slashing polearm instead of the pike it actually was in real life.
- In the animation for executing someone, I noticed the executioner is actually standing too close to the prisoner, and instead of hitting them with the axe blade he'll hit them with the handle when the screen goes black.
- Battanian Volunteers look like they just turned up for a friendly game of croquet. Why do so many of them use these two-handed mallets? What sort of semi-barbarian society needs large amounts of whack-a-mole, Looney Tunes, comically giant wooden hammers?
- The visible seam at the edge of the map.
- A lot of armours are too bulky in the body, and quite a few helmets look too big as well. Might have been an effort to avoid clipping issues on TW's part, if so I hope they find a different solution that looks better if possible.
- The reports sidebar is too cluttered up with information that isn't useful to you 90 % of the time, with no way of filtering out the thousandth report of who won what tournament and who got released from where.
- Pendraic and Pendraic Castle's location doesn't make sense from a lore perspective. How did the Empire get so deep and far north into Battanian territory? It's extremely far away from the Khuzaits and Aserai. There isn't even any forest nearby as described in the story. It should swap locations with, say, Rhemtoil and Rhemtoil Castle - which are on the border with the Empire, and have forests.
- WORST eyesore in the game is the masses of troops jiggling at high speed once they enter melee, though this probably would fall under the bug category.

Otherwise though? Game's presentation is zuging fantastic, top notch visual style and UI, and looks great.
"Vlandia should have their own capes and shoulder armours that actually match the rest of their equipment." this for ducks sake this.you have sooo ducking many cloacks from saxons normans and danes to inspire with nice models and stuff like that but the brainlet art team knows only celtic late bronze age early iron age and ubisoft style of armor for aserai and empire

Meh, I think equipment doesn't have to be faction specific. Doesn't Sturgia have a chainmail shoulder? Why not use that on some Vlandians? So long as they change the shade so that it matches mail, it shouldn't be an issue.

Meh, I think equipment doesn't have to be faction specific. Doesn't Sturgia have a chainmail shoulder? Why not use that on some Vlandians? So long as they change the shade so that it matches mail, it shouldn't be an issue.
For one thing, all the Vlandian promotional art has them wearing cloaks. So at the very least they should get a cloak model of their own if the art team has time.
images

images

On the topic of shoulder mail, though, simply updating the chainmail shoulder armour texture to match Vlandian armour mail texture isn't a bad idea. I do agree with that one.

For one thing, all the Vlandian promotional art has them wearing cloaks. So at the very least they should get a cloak model of their own if the art team has time.
images

images

On the topic of shoulder mail, though, simply updating the chainmail shoulder armour texture to match Vlandian armour mail texture isn't a bad idea. I do agree with that one.
Don't get me wrong, more drip for everyone in general is nothing but a good thing. I just think that its not necessary for every faction to have their very own special unique thing and never use other faction's stuff. Sometimes a scarf is just a scarf. A mail hood is just a mail hood.

But absolutely, give us majestic Norman cloaks.

I just think that its not necessary for every faction to have their very own special unique thing and never use other faction's stuff.
As long as it doesn't obviously belong to another culture I agree. The very obviously Empire-culture cape the Sergeants wear is an example. But if it's just something generic like gloves or boots or a scarf there definitely doesn't need to be duplicates for every culture.

As long as it doesn't obviously belong to another culture I agree. The very obviously Empire-culture cape the Sergeants wear is an example. But if it's just something generic like gloves or boots or a scarf there definitely doesn't need to be duplicates for every culture.
Things like the pteurges shoulder pieces from the Empire are too distinctly Imperial yes, but I just feel that way about the capes for some reason.

For me, that's just... a cape with shoulders.

Vlandians have it so, so bad man. They desperately need drip of their own, how am I supposed to go out and feast on butter looking like that? HUGH!

Back
Top Bottom