What went right? Positive thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Alot of things went wrong with bannerlord but there are some things that i am very glad they did,

lets just reflect on what changes they did that we appreciate

i appreciate that you can now ride every horse and equip every weapon on the battlefield,
no more weird text saying "you lack the appropriate skill" dying from a horde of enemies while a horse is just waiting to be mounted in front of you
(although you are less accurate with bows when you pick them up and not the same speed as cavalry while on your horse, still this is a great movement forward in game design)

You could use 2 handed weapons with one hand if you choose, allowing you to have more variety when wielding a 2 handed bastard weapon that can change to 1 handed to get that extra range when attacking cavalry or a long 2 handed weapon opponent ( they changed this within the last couple of weeks, not sure why, must have been due to bastard swords not switching to 2 handed mode when the shield breaks making it too slow when you are overwhelmed by multiple opponents( which is why the shield probably broke in the first place))

hopefully they change it back to being able to use bastard swords 1h or 2h without shield

the game is alot prettier,
not really important to me, but it helps draw a wider audience to fill those battle servers to capacity making for a better multiplayer experience (when they put battle mode back in.... eventually)

cav bumps are not as predictable as they were in warband (at least maybe im not good enough with them) making playing against cavalry less frustrating bc you know your not going to be automatically killed by a bump and slash which was really easy to execute
(although cav hp is very high but im sure they will lower it more.... hopefully)

bannerlord online is a thing!
not the developers but at least they provided the base for another person to make this game a reality,
i can finally play this game (single player-ish) with my fiance, although she never wants to lol

rag doll physics are satisfying,
its fun when you kill someone with a two handed weapon and you see their feet get sweeped from underneath them where you hit them,

it can be very sad just thinking what they did wrong, so lets try to disrupt the general pessimism and hopefully motivate the taleworlds team with optimism about the positive changes that they did with bannerlord :smile:

found recently you can drop empty quivers/jav containers by holding G
this was really good bc empty jav containers always annoyed me

Last edited:
I love the ragdoll effects and animations when you kill someone, some of the most satisfying in the industry if you ask me. Like you said, sweeping out someone's feet, or smacking them with a mace/maul and they go flying. The effect is ridiculous with the Khuzait mace but still satisfying none-the-less.

I'd say cav bumps are quite predictable actually, but the knockdown animation is the main problem. Having people knocked to the ground for like 10 seconds is just too extreme.
yea, i think that should be reduced but knockdowns are a great addition to the game, i think they got carried away and added to much stun time just bc they were proud of all the programming it took to make a accurate knock down look good,

and it does look good they worked hard on it and i appreciate their effort

While siege ladders still have some AI issues, it's still a massive improvement from Warband. Army system also solves the old issue of lords running away while following a marshal.

I don't like the RNG in learning blacksmith parts, but other than that smithing is still a nice addition. It can be a nice solution to that classic problem of not being able to find the right equipment in shops, especially for your companions.

The game also looks way better. We take it for granted these days, but the graphic improvement is massive. There's something about the face that kinda bothers me (maybe the hair and goofy expressions?) but it's still great compared to the old.

1.5 update in which combat mechanics and equipment was changed was a big but not a 10/10 step for Bannerlord, it was the update that made me return to Bannerlord after 1.2 or something.
The other big balancing patches such as 1.5.7 were good as well and were paving the road for a better game.
I'd say cav bumps are quite predictable actually, but the knockdown animation is the main problem. Having people knocked to the ground for like 10 seconds is just too extreme.
I have to agree here, you can easily dodge a cav bump if you see it coming but the real problem is getting knocked down for such a long time.

I am very critical towards BAnnerlord Multiplayer, but i have to say Singleplayer is good, its not finished, for sure, but it is surely going in the right direction. I have hundreds of hours in SP and each update makes it better = it moves forwards.

So basicly, only SP has positive.

Last edited:
The whole aging, dying, perma-death and heir system is honestly a very surprising move. I never saw it coming to M&B. Perma-player death is such a rare feature of games these days outside of roguelikes and paradox style dynasty games. Actually punishing your players (especially in unavoidable ways like aging) is honestly a dying component of video gaming.

It was an incredibly brave feature and I applaud Taleworlds for doing it.

The whole aging, dying, perma-death and heir system is honestly a very surprising move. I never saw it coming to M&B. Perma-player death is such a rare feature of games these days outside of roguelikes and paradox style dynasty games. Actually punishing your players (especially in unavoidable ways like aging) is honestly a dying component of video gaming.

It was an incredibly brave feature and I applaud Taleworlds for doing it.
Pretty sure this is MP related...

umm... They removed crushthrough. Oh wait.. They fixed the throwing meta. Oh no no.. They fixed the crashes. Oh yea not really...

Honestly it's hard find positive changes, because there hasn't been much changes since release. The only thing that has made game better is 1.5.0 update that made melee combat playable.

Yea that's the positive thing I guess. See you next year with the release of Duel mode.

Khuzait having options other than "Die as rabble 10 times, spawn as Lancer, repeat" is something TaleWorlds did right

I've also noticed that people are far less likely to spam archers for cheap wins which I'm pretty sure is indicative that other units got buffed to better deal with them rather than the Bannerlord playerbase actually growing a sense of honor.

Removal of crushthrough and slash damage from 2 hander weapons (also speed debuff to 2handers) kinda fixed everlasting Cav>Archer>2hander>inf boringass meta of EA Bannerlord at launch, that was disastrous, i dont know what devs were thinking about back then... At least now they are kinda in sane mind...

Back
Top Bottom