What we have in Bannerlord pre-release dev diaries but not in game by now

Users who are viewing this thread

What I'm saying is that the "recent reviews" will be terrible the minute this thing comes out and gamers start flooding back in to check out the finished product.
Yeah, I doubt that will happen. Not that many are going to cone back; probably most of the new reviews are going to be first-timers. Plus with simultaneous release on consoles, the majority of the potential new customers aren't even going to be in a position to see Steam reviews.

Wow.. I’m hardly on the forum but after reading through that Reddit post.. to think bannerlord could have had all that content and then canned thanks to woke bull**** backlash is beyond disheartening... too complicated my ass, with today’s political climate I would go out on a limb and say a lot was developed as implied and indeed it was canned. What an frickin shame..

Last edited:
****in hell why is everything apparently the fault of SJWs and "woke bull****" like jesus christ those blue haired college kids you see in Crowder videos *****ing about whatever it is they dislike (no different from you or me *****ing on the internet by the way) don't control a random Turkish game development company

sometimes it's just they're doing a bad job and it's as simple as that. not everything is caused by the people you hate

Last edited:
Bannerlord is a right-wing conspiracy designed to promote conservative values among an increasingly large demographics of young male gamers. It harks back to the past and promotes endless violence as a way to solve what are basically ethnic conflicts. It devalues women as baby making property that can be bought for a few cows.
Stop the indoctrination!

Bannerlord is a right-wing conspiracy designed to promote conservative values among an increasingly large demographics of young male gamers. It harks back to the past and promotes endless violence as a way to solve what are basically ethnic conflicts. It devalues women as baby making property that can be bought for a few cows.
Stop the indoctrination!
Dammit I escape the right-wing nutjob space once and now they're pulling me back in! Curse you Taleworlds!

hmmm, you are kinda new here aren't ya?
Nah. I'm pretty sure I was on this forum back in WB days but my account got wiped with the site upgrade.

But yeah I missed some key BL details because - like a lot of players - I ragequit early on and periodically came back to see if the game stopped sucking.

This is my third run in the forums and attempt to make BL stop sucking. First time early last year I got yeeted for complaining about the really poor design choices ("It's EARLY ACCESS!"). Second time in Fall 2020 I fared slightly better with many in the forum focused on actually unsucking the game and was heartened by conversations with mexxico - who actually talked to me and cared about what I had to say.

Just got back on the bandwagon a few weeks ago and... I've basically spent more time on the forum than actually trying to have fun with the game. The latest developments have really blackened my redpill.

That cut content looked like the Bannerlord we wanted and didn't get. I wonder why it was cut.
The obvious reason is time and effort, but they are taking all the time they want. The fan favorite's reason is to make the game simple for the unwashed masses. But why think of this in the middle of development and sacrifice past effort?

The real reason for changing the game scope may be more interesting. I'll just invent one that I like.
There was a single guy that was driving the role-playing part of Bannerlord (Steve Negus probably) and he and Armagan had a falling out over the direction of the game. The guy left and Armagan promptly and pettily ordered large parts of Steve's work to be axed. The simulator concept won and the RPG concept was thrown out. If that doesn't make you cry, you just want to watch the world burn, seeping Monster with Autistic Kyle.
My headcanon is that Armagan had a conversation with an American public relations consultant about the current state of Western culture vis a vis topics of sexism, racism, slavery and religion... then promptly incinerated half the game out of fear that his 9-figure company could be annihilated over some cultural nuance that only undergraduate New Yorkers would understand.

Dammit I escape the right-wing nutjob space once and now they're pulling me back in! Curse you Taleworlds!
I mean... they tried to cancel Kingdom Come: Deliverance over that fact that - as a "historically-accurate" RPG - it didn't feature historically-accurate African and Asian ethnic minorities in 1403 backwater Bohemia. Need I remind anyone about the "accurate" "historical" "research" they trotted out saying that the Middle-Ages Europe was actually a paragon of cultural diversity and tolerance with all races living in harmony because nobody contemporary felt like writing down that they DIDN'T exist?

The irony being that, yes, there were almost certainly citizens and freedmen and slaves of Ancient Rome who were Sub-Saharan Africans because those cats legit did not believe in race and Nubia was a thing. But, no, the HRE was not the RE.

I mean... they tried to cancel Kingdom Come: Deliverance over that fact that - as a "historically-accurate" RPG - it didn't feature historically-accurate African and Asian ethnic minorities in 1403 backwater Bohemia. Need I remind anyone about the "accurate" "historical" "research" they trotted out saying that the Middle-Ages Europe was actually a paragon of cultural diversity and tolerance with all races living in harmony because nobody contemporary felt like writing down that they DIDN'T exist?
The backlash against KCD was because the head dev was some outspoken alt-right thug who denies people are victims, except himself, for being persecuted by a liberal gaming press. The problem is that he shoves his questionable beliefs in the face of the public instead of maintaining professional appearance. That racism thing was stupid, but hardly the problem people have with the guy.

Last edited:
Nah. I'm pretty sure I was on this forum back in WB days but my account got wiped with the site upgrade.

But yeah I missed some key BL details because - like a lot of players - I ragequit early on and periodically came back to see if the game stopped sucking.

This is my third run in the forums and attempt to make BL stop sucking. First time early last year I got yeeted for complaining about the really poor design choices ("It's EARLY ACCESS!"). Second time in Fall 2020 I fared slightly better with many in the forum focused on actually unsucking the game and was heartened by conversations with mexxico - who actually talked to me and cared about what I had to say.

Just got back on the bandwagon a few weeks ago and... I've basically spent more time on the forum than actually trying to have fun with the game. The latest developments have really blackened my redpill.

Gotcha bro. Welcome back!

The backlash against KCD was because the head dev was some outspoken alt-right thug who denies people are victims, except himself, for being persecuted by a liberal gaming press. The problem is that he shoves his questionable beliefs in the face of the public instead of maintaining professional appearance. That racism thing was stupid, but hardly the problem people have with the guy.
It's true enough that that's the reason people actually hated him. But being a GamerGater wasn't enough to get him cancelled, which is why they tried to play the race card instead - most of the brigading against him I saw called him a "racist" rather than anything else.

Your mileage may vary a lot on Vavra, but I tend to give a little extra Overton Window leeway to people from different cultures, especially - and this is my own bias from family history - to those who suffered under the former Soviet Union. For them, the Reds really were under the bed.

He was undoubtedly a raging bomb-thrower on Twitter, but apparently he's fairly nice and respectful in person to people who disagree with him:

IDK. I just liked his video game and appreciated one blog post he wrote years ago, so I'm likely missing some context on other **** he did.

Why do you think they'll even be around? The game will have been out for nearly two years at that point and most people **** off after three months, quality be damned.
Well, at the least when the release version is out youtubers will all line up for "The final version" play through and all the spammy "how to_____" 'the ULTIMATE____ " of a hundred things...... causing people who watch it to have to go here or reddit to ask why the all the outdated tips they just watched on youtube don't work....... it's not like people just google and buncha junk and throw up dozens of videos without testing it out themselves right? what could go wrong. ?

@qwerrecd42

I'm not right wing, nor am I advocating or hating anyone, but to assume that its not at least a possibility that a lot got axed by the current political climate then your delusional. Look around at all the media these days getting ham-fisted by politics, companies living in fear, from games and beyond. I have nothing against Left wing politics in general, but I do have a problem with what is going on with the media. If you arn't aware of that then I cant help you. Did you bother reading that reddit post??

@bonerstorm
I agree. Some people like to live with their heads in the sand. Very clear history in game culture being messed with by politics these days, kingdom come is a great example. I suppose that makes me right wing. Keep to your tribal lines people. smh

Last edited:
I read the reddit post (when it first came out in fact!) and I still don't see how you're so confidently drawing a line from "cut content from a random Turkish game developer" to "dumbass Twitter culture war". Occam's razor is a good fit here. They cut content not because of some weird culture war a hemisphere away, but because they decided (wrongly) it didn't fit in their development of the game, as is the case for most cut content.

Not everything fits under the lens of the culture war y'all seem so keen to drag us into.

@ qwerreced42

Alright agree to disagree. I've seen it happen to way to many games. Not trying to stir up trouble.

I read the reddit post (when it first came out in fact!) and I still don't see how you're so confidently drawing a line from "cut content from a random Turkish game developer" to "dumbass Twitter culture war". Occam's razor is a good fit here. They cut content not because of some weird culture war a hemisphere away, but because they decided (wrongly) it didn't fit in their development of the game, as is the case for most cut content.

Not everything fits under the lens of the culture war y'all seem so keen to drag us into.
Fair enough. I'm just saying that they left a LOT of content on the cutting-room floor and most of the stuff that got snipped out of features that actually made it into the game (e.g. kingdom laws) were relating to un-PC stuff like slavery. At this point, there's practically no content referring to slavery that survived except for a few snippets which they may have forgotten about.

And, being real, if I were consulting for TW and they asked me honestly if having historically-accurate dialogue about sexism + slavery could possibly cost them millions of f***ing dollars from bad press... I'd have to say yes. That's a no-brainer at this point.

I just don't see any way a Turkish game development company is gonna give a **** about a culture war that is pretty much purely being fought in the US/Western Europe.

I just don't see any way a Turkish game development company is gonna give a **** about a culture war that is pretty much purely being fought in the US/Western Europe.
I completely agree, however when taking into account the reaction KCD received on something so outlandish, which coincidentally was released around the same time major BL production was occuring, I wouldn't be surprised if some more controversial features were put into the backseat.

Maybe they left it out because it's dreary and unpleasant? That would be why I wouldn't like it without any help from culture war arguments.
They didn't even really leave out the stuff about slavery. There are two or three companion backstories that mention slavery and one minor faction explicitly says that its members sell themselves into slavery in order to join.

Maybe they left it out because it's dreary and unpleasant? That would be why I wouldn't like it without any help from culture war arguments.
The Ancient world and Middle Ages were frequently dreary and unpleasant. Civil wars - wars in general, really - are also fairly dreary and unpleasant. Same goes for sieges and small business ownership and most aspects of M&B core gameplay.

Doesn't mean you can't make a fun game out of those things. Most fun games are simulations of things that are dreary and unpleasant IRL.

Your mileage may vary, but I quite like the idea of playing a young woman overcoming medieval sexism and growing up into a somewhat-ahistorical war machine. Joan of Arc's story IRL was pretty badass, but it wouldn't have been nearly as memorable were she a dude. Same goes for Spartacus - would anybody have made half a dozen movies about a free guy who led a short-lived revolt in Ancient Rome and got pwned?

Good stories are all about adversity. Slavery and sexism and racism - when handled well - make for great stories. To be fair, they're worse than nothing when handled poorly.

They didn't even really leave out the stuff about slavery. There are two or three companion backstories that mention slavery and one minor faction explicitly says that its members sell themselves into slavery in order to join.
Yes. That qualifies as:
a few snippets which they may have forgotten about

Back
Top Bottom