What we have in Bannerlord pre-release dev diaries but not in game by now

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know if anyone talked about this yet. But gosh darn it would be cool if there was minor nobles or something for your villages. It would also work really well with the rebellion system. With the minor nobles raising up against their duke.

Yet this is probably way too complex, probably. Don't know coding that much to know how complex that would be.

To be honest this is some sort of exercices you give to train your students for the first half of any undergraduate degree on computer science.
It's far from being complicated per se, like always incorporating onto the existent codebase is another task by itself.

Pretty close or it is actually. If they were a US based company we would have a really strong chance of getting a lawsuit accepted, if they release the game in a similar state of what it is now.

Did you bother checking any US-based studios which conducted that same amount of " false marketing" and effectively got away with it ?

To be honest this is some sort of exercices you give to train your students for the first half of any undergraduate degree on computer science.
It's far from being complicated per se, like always incorporating onto the existent codebase is another task by itself.
If the crap I want is so easy to code then why don't I have the crap I want! I want muh crap!

In all seriousness. This makes me wonder how different all the mods will be. Half them will probably be adding things into the game that should've been there since the start.

From my understanding as long as the EA is going on, there is a status quo on the motivation of creating such mods right now, I can't speak for any modders here since there are teams actively working on large overhaul mods as we speak.
We got a few talented modders working on their spare-time on this very forum aswell, kudos to them of course.

I'm a dev myself, and could reasonably work with C#, but at this point for my own pleasure and sanity ( don't see this as a demonstration of selfishness :grin: ) I would probably be better drop a prototype on Unity with dozens of free assets I'd plop around instead of having to work on a existent codebase that is subject to change Soon™.
( this is also because the project I had in mind, that could possibly brush my curiosity on jumping on modding for Bannerlord has to tackle the shalowness of NPCs )

Did you bother checking any US-based studios which conducted that same amount of " false marketing" and effectively got away with it ?
This. It's extremely difficult to sue anyone for false marketing and the idea that video game companies are making binding contractual promises on their dev blogs or teaser videos would get laughed out of a courtroom.

The legal remedy for even egregious run-of-the-mill game dev BS is just not buying games from them in the future.

The one case where you might have a legal remedy is if they simply stopped development on an early access or kickstartered game altogether, which would be dumb when they can just keep it on life support when the cost/benefit of improvement is worse than the cost/benefit of maintenance. That's why the class-action lawsuit against No Man's Sky went nowhere.

If the crap I want is so easy to code then why don't I have the crap I want! I want muh crap!

In all seriousness. This makes me wonder how different all the mods will be. Half them will probably be adding things into the game that should've been there since the start.
To be fair, Duh and mexxico did make a mostly-fair point about how a lot of changes players want to see would have ripple effects as the AI adjusts to them.

Feasts, for instance, caused notorious campaign AI issues in Warband and - while I remember it being better in mods + VC - there are genuine issues any time you change core aspects of the gameplay when AI + players are expected to follow the same rules and whole armies are supposed to gather in one spot for days at a time.

Apparently a big part of the reason why modders haven't already patched these issues is that large sections of the code are blocked off to them. If the campaign AI, for instance, is blocked off from modders then there's no way to compensate when tweaks break their behavior.

Feasts, for instance, caused notorious campaign AI issues in Warband
And without them the notorious campaign issue in Bannerlord is that there is literally no break from the constant warfare :grin:

But that's more to do with the non-existent political / diplomatic management and being able to stay in peace for more than a few weeks.
This **** is actually retarded.

And without them the notorious campaign issue in Bannerlord is that there is literally no break from the constant warfare :grin:

But that's more to do with the non-existent political / diplomatic management and being able to stay in peace for more than a few weeks.
This **** is actually retarded.
Yep. You're either constantly fighting wars against endlessly-respawning AI armies so your kingdom doesn't get yeeted or constantly fighting endlessly-respawning AI bandits so your fiefs don't become a barren wasteland.

I'm hoping that Improved Garrison mod allows me a measure of sanity with the ability to set patrols around my fiefs.

The lack of anything to do, much less anything that has a lasting impact, is the cancer killing the lategame.

This. It's extremely difficult to sue anyone for false marketing and the idea that video game companies are making binding contractual promises on their dev blogs or teaser videos would get laughed out of a courtroom.
The only real counter to any game malpractice is competition. If a game is failing in important aspects, then it's a ripe opportunity to replace it by a competitor a few years down the line (since this takes time). The main prize here is our money, all the hundreds of millions that Taleworlds managed to raise with its EA. If they could do it with hype and visuals, imagine what a game with good gameplay and visuals could do. Mount and Blade as a franchise would be finished and replaced.
It happened to Sim City, hopefully it would happen to Mount and Blade and we'll be all better off for it. Except Taleworlds that is.

The only real counter to any game malpractice is competition. If a game is failing in important aspects, then it's a ripe opportunity to replace it by a competitor a few years down the line (since this takes time). The main prize here is our money, all the hundreds of millions that Taleworlds managed to raise with its EA. If they could do it with hype and visuals, imagine what a game with good gameplay and visuals could do. Mount and Blade as a franchise would be finished and replaced.
It happened to Sim City, hopefully it would happen to Mount and Blade and we'll be all better off for it. Except Taleworlds that is.
Disagreed. Even in absence of competition, a company can learn to improve through negative press attention that threatens future sales of new products.

That happened to a limited extent with the open letter from modders. It may happen in more widespread fashion if fans in general sign an open letter.

Barring that, I think the real wake-up call for TaleWorlds is going to be when they get out of Early Access so they can start shilling console ports and DLC.

Once all the low-info gamers who have been busily white knighting BL for the past year finally realize that this was always going to be the finished product... you can expect a torrent of flame to tank the review score and trigger a pile-on cascade of negative reviews from the gaming press (unless it gets politicized somehow to portray the fans as toxic or something).

Once their future revenue stream goes bye-bye, you can bet that TW will realize something needs to change. But, at that point, it'll probably be too late to keep the company from being permanently tarnished in the eyes of low-info gamers (who are operating currently on a decade of hype and goodwill from WB). That's why I'm pushing for us to keep the pressure up NOW, before they screw themselves.

Once all the low-info gamers who have been busily white knighting BL for the past year finally realize that this was always going to be the finished product... you can expect a torrent of flame to tank the review score and trigger a pile-on cascade of negative reviews from the gaming press (unless it gets politicized somehow to portray the fans as toxic or something).
Why do you think they'll even be around? The game will have been out for nearly two years at that point and most people **** off after three months, quality be damned.

SimCity is a wonderful example!

They we’re top of the line but got too comfortable. They didnt respond to what the market demanded so Paradox filled in the gap. Cities Skylines has been the undisputed champion ever since.

To be fair, Duh and mexxico did make a mostly-fair point about how a lot of changes players want to see would have ripple effects as the AI adjusts to them.

Feasts, for instance, caused notorious campaign AI issues in Warband and - while I remember it being better in mods + VC - there are genuine issues any time you change core aspects of the gameplay when AI + players are expected to follow the same rules and whole armies are supposed to gather in one spot for days at a time.

Apparently a big part of the reason why modders haven't already patched these issues is that large sections of the code are blocked off to them. If the campaign AI, for instance, is blocked off from modders then there's no way to compensate when tweaks break their behavior.
This is honestly what makes me the most upset about the development of this game. Instead of using WB as a foundation to build upon established features, they instead strip them from the game.

This reddit post that Terco found was really eye-opening, and to think that this was compiled over a year ago. Words all so common like "TOO COMPLICATED", it really is a shame.

The fact one random russian guy in his basement in 3 months was able to mod this game into bannerlord online better than the development for it for 12 years is pretty goddamn telling.

This is honestly what makes me the most upset about the development of this game. Instead of using WB as a foundation to build upon established features, they instead strip them from the game.

This reddit post that Terco found was really eye-opening, and to think that this was compiled over a year ago. Words all so common like "TOO COMPLICATED", it really is a shame.

AI gets blamed alot for us not getting depth due to cut features but even things like meaningfull dialogue are cut.

Why do you think they'll even be around? The game will have been out for nearly two years at that point and most people **** off after three months, quality be damned.
What I'm saying is that the "recent reviews" will be terrible the minute this thing comes out and gamers start flooding back in to check out the finished product. "Overall rewiews" will still be moronically high due to the way Steam counts early access reviews as having equal value.

A negative "recent reviews" would be brutal for their attempts to monetize a console port or DLC.

Holy actual f***. How have I not seen this before?

This is blackpilling in the extreme.

I thought that they were too lazy to write all the dialogue and flavor and fluff to make Calradia into a real living world... but apparently they've had tons of finished product all along and just haven't bothered to use most of it.

Some of this missing content can be chalked up to failure to implement requisite features, but in general this reeks of corporate fear of getting canceled for making a game that even casually deals with sexism, racism or slavery... or even made-up religions.

Holy actual f***. How have I not seen this before?

This is blackpilling in the extreme.

I thought that they were too lazy to write all the dialogue and flavor and fluff to make Calradia into a real living world... but apparently they've had tons of finished product all along and just haven't bothered to use most of it.

Some of this missing content can be chalked up to failure to implement requisite features, but in general this reeks of corporate fear of getting canceled for making a game that even casually deals with sexism, racism or slavery... or even made-up religions.
hmmm, you are kinda new here aren't ya?

Damn... I had completely forgotten about all this... it sounded so cool! :ohdear:

In fact, that is the kind of stuff I expected to be implemented when the EA started...

That cut content looked like the Bannerlord we wanted and didn't get. I wonder why it was cut.
The obvious reason is time and effort, but they are taking all the time they want. The fan favorite's reason is to make the game simple for the unwashed masses. But why think of this in the middle of development and sacrifice past effort?

The real reason for changing the game scope may be more interesting. I'll just invent one that I like.
There was a single guy that was driving the role-playing part of Bannerlord (Steve Negus probably) and he and Armagan had a falling out over the direction of the game. The guy left and Armagan promptly and pettily ordered large parts of Steve's work to be axed. The simulator concept won and the RPG concept was thrown out. If that doesn't make you cry, you just want to watch the world burn, seeping Monster with Autistic Kyle.

That cut content looked like the Bannerlord we wanted and didn't get. I wonder why it was cut.
The obvious reason is time and effort, but they are taking all the time they want. The fan favorite's reason is to make the game simple for the unwashed masses. But why think of this in the middle of development and sacrifice past effort?

The real reason for changing the game scope may be more interesting. I'll just invent one that I like.
There was a single guy that was driving the role-playing part of Bannerlord (Steve Negus probably) and he and Armagan had a falling out over the direction of the game. The guy left and Armagan promptly and pettily ordered large parts of Steve's work to be axed. The simulator concept won and the RPG concept was thrown out. If that doesn't make you cry, you just want to watch the world burn, seeping Monster with Autistic Kyle.
With how um, mercurial, Armagan is known to be, this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Back
Top Bottom