What TV series are you watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

Raised by Wolves is really growing on me. The CGI still looks like a PS4 game and the acting is so-so.
It also takes too long to tell the story while all the mysteries are building up, in danger of going nowhere.
But the story and lore/mythology is really intriguing, and at times so comically absurd that it's a joy to watch.
A quite original sci-fi world.

Severance is really well made, cinematically smooth and stylish, with great acting and solid world-building.
It's based on a very simple premise (the severance procedure) so it's in danger of becoming stale, keeping all the secrets interesting.

Peacemaker is solid. That's how you make a super-hero show. Absurd humour and loveable characters.

Star Trek: Picard, season 2. I watched maybe 3 episodes of the first season, didn't like it, and didn't watch any more. Season 2 is way better, IMO. I've watched 6 episodes so far, and every time I finish one I want to watch more. It's a new story, so I don't feel like I've missed anything by not watching the rest of season 1, which I'm glad of. I know it can take time for a show to hit its stride; hopefully season 1 was the crap one and it'll keep being good from now on.

Raised by Wolves has been cancelled. I'm not surprised, but a bit sad since it was a rare, original show.

Moon Knight was bland and uninteresting. A porridge of Egyptian hullabaloo lore with mental disease (some identity disorder) that has been used many times before. Might have been a good comedy but it's never funny.

Obi-Wan Kenobi looks very nice. The cinematography and aesthetics is closely inspired by the original films.
McGregor as protagonist is a delight. Young Leia is a (much too mature and) intelligent, sassy girl. A bit of a trope.
The story is pretty simple, 'conventional' and moves slowly. Episode 3 is especially uneventful until the end. Episode 4 is tedious with a predictable abduction event, and an ending that makes little sense.
Reva the inquisitor is a bit of a wild card. We learn little of her backstory apart from being an upstart, and apparently a favourite of Vader. Not sure what to think. Maybe it will make sense later. Right now the character seems a bit out of place.

I've never watched The Vampire Diaries or its sequels. I don't think I've seen main characters I have less sympathy for.
You've never seen it, but don't like it? One of those two statements has to be false.

Last edited:
The Terminal List is surprisingly good. Only watched it because a friend insisted.
The premise is a bit cliché. A classic American story of the little man seeking revenge for the murder of his family while unravelling a government conspiracy. A navy SEAL commander and his men are ambushed on a mission. The commander suffers from memory loss/scrambled memories and must (along with the viewer) try to make heads or tails in what is real and what is false.
It's well crafted with intense action and stealth scenes, and the protagonist (Chris Pratt) and his brother (Taylor Kitsch) do a good job.
Despite the conspiracy and mystery it doesn't take much brain to follow the story. Light, but good, entertainment - especially if you're a teenage boy who thinks guns are "kool".

Watched 2 and a half episodes of The Sandman show (Netflix). The whole thing is too silly for me. It's very pretty but lacks charisma and characters that are actually interesting.

Last edited:
I've been watching House of the Dragon. The fanbase is garbage and there are a couple of dumb characters, but the show is really good so far and I'm expecting great things in season 2. Aemond did nothing wrong and I wish that child actor had more screen time.

... I wish that child actor had more screen time.
Young Rhaenyra was splendid. I miss her. Alicent too. But king Viserys outshines them all. What a performance.
Prince Daemon is weird. I can't tell if the actor is serious. He's either overacting or not acting at all. And he looks goofy.
Other than that solid performances in a well written show. You can tell the writer has read a history book, or two 😄

The Peripheral is a new TV show based on William Gibson's sci-fi book from 2014.
It's set in the future, both a (circa) decade and 70 decades from now, with an interesting take on (not actually) time travel.
2 episodes so far. The visuals are good, if a bit cliché (dystopian future), but has a lot of fun sci-fi ideas.
It's all a bit formulaic and bland, with adequate acting, although the protagonist does a good job (Chloë Grace Moretz).
But the story is fun so far, so it could still turn out to be quite entertaining if expectations are kept to "Hollywood action sci-fi flick mode".

I've seen quite a bit in the last few weeks, so I'll try to compact it as much as possible.

It's a shame that House of the Dragon is already showing how much it diverts from the book. Stand alone, it's still a great show with even greater actors, but the writing decisions they made were really bizarre. And most of the best scenes were improvised by the actors, which sold more for the characters than the writers could even do, and that's sort of embarrassing for them. And a lot of the characters behaved so erratically to previous episodes characterizations or rather so suddenly with no build up, it was disjointing. Honestly, at times, it felt like I was watching really random fanfiction come to life. I don't know if I'll continue S2. We'll see, I guess. I'll probably grow bored when S2 drops and just watch it. lol

The Peripheral has some bumps and hitches, but it's been strangely fun so I'm going to continue it for the time being. I like how much it deviates from the book, because quite frankly, the book was not all that good. The concept is highly intriguing though, and I think that's why it can work better as a show. Chloë Grace Moretz does a really good job at making Flynn an enjoyable presence on screen, too. I also really loved how they got Conner on screen, and the actor they went with.

Rings of Power, and this will probably upset some people, is actually pretty good. I'm aware they changed a lot, but from what I've heard, there are things they were legally not allowed to keep (such as Annatar). That said, it's not 1:1 to lore, but it tries as hard as it can to be respectful and I honestly really loved every minute of it. It had some problems, like pacing in EP1-2, but overall I'm excited for S2.

Andor. More Star Wars. Ordinarily that would not be a bad thing, but this show just turned out to be a slightly less boring Obi-Wan show. Visuals are stunning at least?

Tales of the Jedi was surprisingly really, really good. Super shorts, basically, but still good. The Dooku episodes were great.

I'm kind of devastated by Raised By Wolves being cancelled. It was such a great show, with so many unique ideas. If this means Doom Patrol is also gone, HBO has nothing left worth watching. lol

The last season of Pacific Rim: The Black was okay, but fast pace, because they had been cancelled. A lot of the plotlines were rushed or never answered. A shame. Because the first season was so good.

The Sandman was okay, not ground breaking or anything. I think it's biggest problem was for sure pacing. Things also happened so fast that it left me thinking I had skipped an episode or scenes. Not a bad show by any measure, but hopefully improved in S2. On that note, Locke & Key's finale season was also rushed due to cancelling/etc. Again, not terrible, but certainly shames the plot being rushed so fast. Cuphead's show was just bad. It felt wrong somehow that Cuphead was given this weird Ren & Stimpy like art trying to imitate the game. Also, just wasn't funny at all. Probably the worst series finale I've seen in a while goes to Ozark. A wonderful show. Last season started strong and then just nose-dived half way through.

See, a great show on Apple TV, had been cancelled. So the last season was a little rushed. It was still an incredible season despite its shortcomings, but left with cliffhangers we will never get answers to now. Hopefully The Foundation gets a proper ending, otherwise Apple TV is just another Netflix cancelling things too early.

My surprise favorite new TV series goes to The Man Who Fell To Earth. I really hoped that it wouldn't get cancelled, but Show Time or whatever you call it, axed it quickly.

I'm a huge comic fan, so I'm probably a little biased, but I thought Black Adam was really good. I haven't really enjoyed a comic movie (well, live action!) since Man of Steel, and before that, The Dark Knight trilogy/Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. The Black Panther movie was okay, and WandaVision was really good, but one could have been an accidentally success and the other is a show, which gives it more time to build. I didn't like Moon Knight, I thought it was painfully boring, and She-Hulk was just embarrassingly random and fanservice-y (which is a shame, because Tatiana Maslany is a great actress). Ms. Marvel was okay. I hate that they changed her powers so drastically, really ruins the character, but also suffered from intense pacing issues. Hawkeye was overall boring with a few enjoyable moments in it and Loki was only slightly better. The only other content they made that was actually good was The Falcon And Winter Soldier. It really seems like Disney's Marvel is set on pumping out as much content as they can rather than put out something of quality.

I'm looking forward to Black Panther's sequel and hoping it's good, but if Marvel's recent additions have revealed anything, it's that I shouldn't expect much.

I'm kind of devastated by Raised By Wolves being cancelled. It was such a great show, with so many unique ideas.
Moon Knight, I thought it was painfully boring, and She-Hulk was just embarrassingly random and fanservice-y (which is a shame, because Tatiana Maslany is a great actress).
Raised By Wolves was really original and interesting. But I kind og understand why it was cancelled: the story became more and more convoluted and complex with many mysteries and loose storylines.

Fully agree on Moon Knight.

She-Hulk suffered from terrible writing. Narratively it doesn't work at all. It was all centered around She-Hulk which is fine, but all other characters were peripheral. So the whole thing was superficial. All the episodes seemed like they were written as small independent stories and it never really came together. That only works if you have good, intreresting characters. The Abomination story went nowhere. Titania fought She-Hulk a few times (why?) but that went nowhere. The sorcerer with the portals came and went... The 'devil guy' came at the very end and could have been an interesting dynamic, but then it ended. Nothing was interesting and nothing mattered. I hope they cancel the show (unlikely) or at least fire all the writers (even more unlikely).

Right now I'm rooting for The Peripheral to be a fun ride...

Raised By Wolves was really original and interesting. But I kind og understand why it was cancelled: the story became more and more convoluted and complex with many mysteries and loose storylines.

Fully agree on Moon Knight.

She-Hulk suffered from terrible writing. Narratively it doesn't work at all. It was all centered around She-Hulk which is fine, but all other characters were peripheral. So the whole thing was superficial. All the episodes seemed like they were written as small independent stories and it never really came together. That only works if you have good, intreresting characters. The Abomination story went nowhere. Titania fought She-Hulk a few times (why?) but that went nowhere. The sorcerer with the portals came and went... The 'devil guy' came at the very end and could have been an interesting dynamic, but then it ended. Nothing was interesting and nothing mattered. I hope they cancel the show (unlikely) or at least fire all the writers (even more unlikely).

Right now I'm rooting for The Peripheral to be a fun ride...

I can understand that, actually. The last season for Raised By Wolves presented far too many questions and very little answers. I wish it had been given the chance to answer them, though.

And I agree completely with She-Hulk. None of the episodes felt like they connected, and even the ended removed a portion of what was actually connecting in a really bizarre fourth wall breaking. I honestly have no idea how this show passed standards for Marvel. I just don't see how it will ever touch the rest of the MCU.

I am too. I've quite enjoyed what I've seen of The Peripheral. I just hope it doesn't fumble at the season finale somehow, because that might spell doom for a renewal.

Fleishman Is in Trouble is about a recently divorced man with 2 kids, trying to cope with it while dating again after 15 years.
The demographics for the show must a few thousand wealthy New York Jews having gone through a divorce (I think the entire cast are Jews, like the author).
The protagonist is a man, but it's written by a woman, and I'm not sure she always understands the inner workings of men.
It's decent enough, and nice with a down to earth story about everyday life, family, friends, and all the drama that follows.
There's a narrator who's a bit annoying at times. You can hear the author trying to sound smart/philosophical with clever lines like:
"The story of the end of Toby and Rachel's marriage starts with the beginning of it..."
Just talk like a normal person (I feel like saying - to the screen that can't hear me - as I ponder whether or not to keep watching).

Back
Top Bottom