What TV series are you watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry said:
the whole market thing was implied in the show too.

Not really well though...if you did not read the books, you could easily miss it.
I also missed a lot of exposition about Renfri's and her gang's character, like the guy who did a similar thing as what they planned in the market which, once Geralt heard the whole story, made him realize what's going on, the gang traveling under protection of the local king, and how Renfri used to lead a highwayman gang of seven dwarves (who eventually killed each other over argument whose turn is it to sleep with her) and impaled her victims on spikes, thus gaining nickname Shrike.
In books the whole thing was essentially a spoof of Snow White, Rampunzel and some other princess related fairy tales.

His Dark Materials: Loved it. I thought Dafne Keen did very well as Lyra; I found her character to be charming and well-played, quite literally from the first scene she was in. I have to give props to her for being a very young actress playing the main character in a major series, and doing it very well. As for the adult actors, Ruth Wilson was the standout star: I first saw her in Luther, and thought she was awesome in that show, and she brings some of that same screen presence to His Dark Materials. As for the writing, I thought it was mostly fine. There were a couple of times where I thought plot points might've been revealed too quickly or the plot moved a little too quickly: I haven't read the books, but there were a couple of times in one episode where I was like, "Yeah, I bet that didn't get resolved so quickly in the book." Other than that, though, I don't have much in the way of negatives. I thought it was a good show. I'm looking forward to season 2.

The Mandalorian: Hmm. My thoughts on this show were much more mixed. There were a few episodes (3 that I know I liked) that were good, and the rest were, I dunno, average. There were 8 episodes, and tbh I'm not sure if I remember them all, which... doesn't say much for the ones I may have forgotten, does it? I found it disappointing that most of the episodes were ~40 minutes. I'm assuming that because this show was an experiment, Disney didn't want to throw unlimited amounts of money at it, so they didn't have the budget for hour-long episodes, but I think some of the episodes would have been better if they'd been longer. There wasn't a lot of depth to any of the characters, because the lead character was a walking suit of armor, and none of the other characters got enough screen time until the last two episodes. Some of the CGI looked strange; I'm guessing they didn't have enough budget in that department, either. The music was really different from any other Star Wars music, and at first I didn't like it, but eventually I got to like it quite a bit. Overall, my feelings on the show are positive: sometimes it could be good fun, and sometimes it felt cheesy and made me angry because of that. Still, I'd watch it again. Hopefully now that Disney's seen that the show's a success, this will just have been the start, and season 2 will be expand on it and be better.

I also just finished rewatching The Musketeers on dvd. I freaking love this show. It's action-adventure, lots of Errol Flynn-esque swashbuckling, set to lively music, with a good cast of lovable characters (and some you hate, but that's the idea). Is it very historically accurate? Well, no, but I really don't care because I enjoy it so much. The last season, season 3, feels a little more "fantasy" than the previous two, mainly due to the villain, and I do disagree with that a bit, but not enough to stop me enjoying the show. They end it very well, but I was thinking earlier that I'd love to see more if they'd make it.

Unbelievable was good. Could have been a little shorter, could have skipped the unnecessary and unbelievable (lol) personal mini-conflict between the two detectives. The two characters were exactly the same (which is fine, because it's based on a true story and that happens in real life) but you can just tell that the people in the writing room were all "but we have to have conflict between the main characters, that's like writing 101" so they forced some inane pseudo-drama between them. There were some instances of "female" writing and directing (excessive exposition through unnatural dialogue and the dreadful show AND tell where a character makes a face and then in case you didn't get it, they will also tell you how they feel in a very clear and concise manner like it's their 175th therapy session), but overall still good. Kaitlyn Dever was great, she has a bright future ahead if she can resist the temptation to do Marvel, Star Wars or some other stupid big production never-ending franchise that have a habit of killing the career of anyone who is not an already established megastar.

The Morning Show was also good. Dignified return to TV for Jennifer Aniston

Friends were the gen x sitcom, I'm legally obligated to like everyone who as much as walked through the set :razz: Regardless of Friends though, I think she's a very good actress, just got typecast in slapsticky comedies because of Friends, but when given a chance she can do much more (not that there is anything wrong with slapstick per se) as evidenced by Cake or The Morning Show

Watched Narcos and have almost finished Narcos Mexico. Pretty good show(s), although the 3rd season of Narcos was the weakest one. Wagner Mouras Escobar was atleast somewhat likable contrary to the Cali Cartel.

And I love the opening theme.

A new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm has started. One of the best comedy shows out there.

Almost done watching the final season of Silicon Valley. There's nothing left of what made the show good to begin with. Sad.

Finished Limetown. A very nice mystery thriller, but there are some lose ends and it doesn't actually have an ending. I see nothing about a season 2, so I can't recommend sitting through it. It's also a Facebook Watch, which no one watches anyway...

Fist episode of Avenue 5 has some very good writing, with funny ideas. Could be good, but the characters are a bit stiff and cliché. Sadly, that could make the show bland and short lived. We'll see...

Last edited:
Tried watching Birds of Prey, but it's boring, unfunny and has terrible fighting scenes.
Instead I watched some episodes of Harley Quinn the animated series. It's awesome! Everything is perfect. ?
They should have hired the writers from that show for the movie.

Hey everyone it's ya girl here to tell you that Castlevania is really ****ing good honestly probably the best thing I've seen in the past 5 years or so remember to smash that like button if you wanna see more content like this and check out my patreon link in the description

I just finished the newest season of Ozark, on Netflix. This season was absolutely insane. I really hope these people win some awards for this show, they hit it out of the park.

Also just found out Impulse got cancelled, so I plan to rewatch it next. Hopefully it gets picked up again, and Youtube leaves Cobra Kai alone.

Just finished Star Trek: Picard Season 1. Let me preface my opinion of it by saying TNG is my favourite ST series and Picard my absolute favourite character of the franchise, and that I was stoked about bringing the character back for more adventures. So much so, I re-watched the whole 7 seasons of TNG in preparation for this.

IT'S BAD

Yeah, I kinda got that impression and stopped watching Picard after 3-4 episodes. I mean, I didn't rage-quit watching the show, but it just seemed dreary and not particularly good, and I lost interest.

Yeah, I kinda got that impression and stopped watching Picard after 3-4 episodes. I mean, I didn't rage-quit watching the show, but it just seemed dreary and not particularly good, and I lost interest.

It seemed to me it had started decently, but then it all went downhill exactly after you stopped watching. I didn't rage-quit though, I watched until the very end just to make sure how much it was going to suck

Edit:
But you know what is really pissing me off? Everyone else appears to love it. Critics, fans. Why is it that I am unable to enjoy it? Or let's say, I can list perfectly well everything that's wrong with it, why am I the only one who appears to be noticing it?

Back
Top Bottom