What (Realistically Implementable) RPG Elements Would You Like to See in Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

As the creator of Lords of Calradia, I would say the biggest thing is power = fiefs. If I own a fief I should have control of the recruits, taxes, demense land etc.. I should be able to properly wield a fief to my advantage. This will be the first thing I mod into the game, followed by many many other changes similiar to Lords of Calradia but following a grander image.

So I wrote this in another thread:

tl;dr let me feel like I 'm sitting atop a giant pile of conflicting interests and personalities, just like a real monarch.

Being an effective lord or monarch should involve the balancing act between the needs of your people, your rights as a lord or monarch, your retainers/vassals and the obligations you owe. The player should have the option to just ignore it entirely of course but with some consequences.

Examples:
1) One petition comes from petty nobility who own land in your villages. The town's merchants have increased their wealth and influence to the point where they are openly flaunting their newfound status by way of clothing, manors, feasting, etc. in a manner that doesn't directly imitate the nobility but does match or exceed the upper-class. The petty nobles wish for you to begin strictly enforcing sumptuary laws in spirit. Obviously, the merchants counter that by the letter of the law, they are still within their rights.

Who you decide to favor has knock-on effects with not just their relations, but their relative power in your lands as well. Allowing merchants to roam around in the fanciest of clothing allows them to become more powerful and influential. Maybe that means they make you more money in terms of taxes or that they fund more militia. Siding with petty nobles (landowner notables, in game terms) means they become more powerful and influential and reward you with more high-tier troops and/or village production. Simply throwing your hands up just makes both sides a bit sour at you and more backbiting with each other. Being completely absent for an extended period might cause the situation to spiral into one notable and their entourage openly brawling in the market or similar.

2) The filled-to-the-brim bandit hideout in your land sends a representative who requests clemency in exchange for military service. The town merchants and village headmen both want you to refuse, to hang the representative and set out to deliver iron justice to the bandits who plague them.

You could have a range of choices: accepting the offer outright, lying about accepting the offer to lure all the bandits out then hanging the lot of them, not just accepting the offer but also giving them equipment so they arrive as top-tier bandits, hanging the representative outright, etc. Each one would have some advantages. Obviously employing a large number of bandits would signal exactly what kind of lord you are, with an associated increase in the influence of gang leaders (who presumably have bandit connections) at the cost of being known as a bit of a scumbag.

I was going to throw up a third example, but this is already too long and you probably get the idea. Tie this into existing game systems around notables, influence, power, etc. Balance between the town and the castle, economic power and military strength, nobles vs. commoners, etc. A player should feel pulled in every direction trying to be a good lord, with successful navigation less about picking the objectively correct dialogue option and more about looking at your circumstances to determine the correct balance.

Petitions and events which affect your personality traits would be great. What i'd love to see is once a month you are called to a meeting of the commons where you sit upon your throne and have to weigh up a few events brought before you. These might have an effect on your fief, money, influence etc. Crusader Kings style.

Tiered reaction and dialogue based on renown, relations, and character traits.
The game already more or less works this way. The dialog system works on a series of weighted "conversation tags." Each line of dialog fits into a category (e.g. greetings), and has a set of associated tags. You can see some examples of this in the comment_strings.xml or voice_strings.xml files. The game checks to see if each tag associated with the line of dialog applies to the given situation, and adds the "weight" value of the tag to the dialog "score" if the conditions are met. The line of dialog from a particular category that has the highest score is the one that the npc speaks. If two lines of dialog have the same score, the one higher up on the list takes presidence. Here's a list of the various conversation tags:
Conversation-Tags.png
Here are some examples of the requirements for the tags to apply:
  • PlayerIsFamous: the player must be above 50 renown (low bar, I know).
  • FriendlyRelationship: either a set of both npc and player traits need to be "compatible" and relations need to be above 5, OR just relations above 20.
  • PlayerIsLiege: the player must be the ruler of the npc's faction.
  • AttractedToPlayer: must be opposite gender, not at war, neither player nor npc married, and the npc must be physically "attracted" to the player.
  • PlayerIsAllied: the factions of the npc and player must be in an alliance (hm... I wonder if that implies something).
  • Sexist: the npc must not be in a clan that has a female party leader and must have a particular combination of the valor, mercy, generosity, and calculating traits.
The game also searches through the list of event log entries, and bases certain comments on the type of event and the 'importance' of it. You can see that after you take a fief for instance; nearly every lord will mention it the next time you see them.

The dialog system is really versatile, and you can add your own dialog simply by inserting it into one of the xml files and giving it various tags and weights.
Alternative-Dialog.png
This is a big part of it. When I go into a village, I don't want all of the villagers to have the "usual" 2-3 pointless responses, no matter the situation.

Villagers and townspeople should adjust their responses and comments based on your rank and renown, your personality, and possibly on your equipment, previous quest outcomes, or any recent nearby combats. When you've seen the same response 300 times in a row, you stop asking, because you'll just get the 301st repeat of the same boring line. When one in ten of those responses is something unique, there's a reason to keep asking.
There's actually a pretty large dialog tree for villagers and townsfolk that's based on a variety of conditions. There are at least 60+ distinct lines of dialog that villagers/townsfolk can say depending on which conditions are met, and there are 10-15 different condition types (such as seasons, prosperity level, traits, recent events, etc.).

Very few of the conditions directly rely on the player character though, unless they are a settlement owner or faction ruler. So maybe they could add a few of those in. Comments on equipment would be cool.
Same with Lords: they need a personality, even if it's one of 5-10 chosen at random from a list upon the start of a new game. You can't build up any kind of emotional tie with a totally generic character that doesn't reinforce your RP'ed relationship in any way.
Lords and notables already have personality types that affect dialog. There are 4 different "personas" in the game, which are Curt, Ironic, Earnest, and Softspoken. You can see each lord's persona by looking at the "voice" variable in the lords.xml file. Their character traits also impact dialog lines given, so taken in conjunction with the personas, there are probably few lords that share the exact same dialog trees. However, they aren't going to write unique dialog for each individual lord; that's just not feasible with how many different situations there are in the game. Lords also have 1 of 3 political ideologies which affects which policies they vote for and their willingness to defect, as well as some other minor things.

All of that said, there's always room for more dialog, and I'm sure they will continue to pepper it in over time.

Edit: Also, it's almost a given that there are bugs within the conversation system, and that some dialogs might not appear because their conditions are rarely/never met. I found two bugs just while looking into the mechanic.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

To quote ' The Men who Stare at Goats' in the UK, it's "hot as balls" right now, so I have given up trying to work from home for the day and my thoughts wandered to Bannerlord.

I don't know about you but, for me, the combat is only half of any mount and blade game. Maybe even less. For me one of the problems with Bannerlord is that it's really all about gaining status and land (while also cutting off some heads). But I really don't care about getting castles and cities at the moment. When I first started playing bannerlord I was like "OH wow, I got a castle!!" now my reaction is just " Oh great another empty large chunk of stone to look after and pay for."

So what would make us all CARE about the real estate we are given? What would make us feel protective over it?

I think the answer is in the roleplay elements of bannerlord. Things that make your castle feel like it's yours. Personally yours. I think this requires more than just upgradable walls and markets etc. Many months back, before launch, I made a thread about this... I think you should be able to have:

A map room (where you can click on the map and set patrol routes for your lords)
Feasts
Small tournaments
Configurable and purchasable additional defences (pay gold for that boiling oil to pour down on attackers etc)
Upgrade your villages to the same extent that you can with the castle

What other things would help you to actually give a monkey's bollocks about the lands / properties your men have fought and died to acquire?
I think one of the biggest problems is that villages are no longer fiefs you can own and manage anymore the lowest tier of settlement possible is the castle another thing is bring back monthly finances idk why the devs made finances update daily.
another thing that would be cool is to create murals inside your castles. Like, imagine if you could use a series of stickers representing you and your troops conquer land and tell a story. or your companions and family members can offer to build special buildings like hanging gardens for characters with high stewardship which lets the caste produce fruits that go into storage that could be used for sieges.a eagles roost allowing you to see the surroundings of your castle wherever you are on the map and get alerts whenever there is an army larger than the garrison. also, make castles/cities harder to take and get a hold of I feel kind of disappointed that I only got a castle after winning a couple of tourneys and stuff. or throw away the ideas of castles and villages being separate altogether and have every village have a defensible "stronghold" of sorts.

The game already more or less works this way. The dialog system works on a series of weighted "conversation tags." Each line of dialog fits into a category (e.g. greetings), and has a set of associated tags. You can see some examples of this in the comment_strings.xml or voice_strings.xml files. The game checks to see if each tag associated with the line of dialog applies to the given situation, and adds the "weight" value of the tag to the dialog "score" if the conditions are met. The line of dialog from a particular category that has the highest score is the one that the npc speaks. If two lines of dialog have the same score, the one higher up on the list takes presidence. Here's a list of the various conversation tags:
Conversation-Tags.png
Here are some examples of the requirements for the tags to apply:
  • PlayerIsFamous: the player must be above 50 renown (low bar, I know).
  • FriendlyRelationship: either a set of both npc and player traits need to be "compatible" and relations need to be above 5, OR just relations above 20.
  • PlayerIsLiege: the player must be the ruler of the npc's faction.
  • AttractedToPlayer: must be opposite gender, not at war, neither player nor npc married, and the npc must be physically "attracted" to the player.
  • PlayerIsAllied: the factions of the npc and player must be in an alliance (hm... I wonder if that implies something).
  • Sexist: the npc must not be in a clan that has a female party leader and must have a particular combination of the valor, mercy, generosity, and calculating traits.
The game also searches through the list of event log entries, and bases certain comments on the type of event and the 'importance' of it. You can see that after you take a fief for instance; nearly every lord will mention it the next time you see them.

The dialog system is really versatile, and you can add your own dialog simply by inserting it into one of the xml files and giving it various tags and weights.
Alternative-Dialog.png

There's actually a pretty large dialog tree for villagers and townsfolk that's based on a variety of conditions. There are at least 60+ distinct lines of dialog that villagers/townsfolk can say depending on which conditions are met, and there are 10-15 different condition types (such as seasons, prosperity level, traits, recent events, etc.).

Very few of the conditions directly rely on the player character though, unless they are a settlement owner or faction ruler. So maybe they could add a few of those in. Comments on equipment would be cool.

Lords and notables already have personality types that affect dialog. There are 4 different "personas" in the game, which are Curt, Ironic, Earnest, and Softspoken. You can see each lord's persona by looking at the "voice" variable in the lords.xml file. Their character traits also impact dialog lines given, so taken in conjunction with the personas, there are probably few lords that share the exact same dialog trees. However, they aren't going to write unique dialog for each individual lord; that's just not feasible with how many different situations there are in the game. Lords also have 1 of 3 political ideologies which affects which policies they vote for and their willingness to defect, as well as some other minor things.

All of that said, there's always room for more dialog, and I'm sure they will continue to pepper it in over time.

Edit: Also, it's almost a given that there are bugs within the conversation system, and that some dialogs might not appear because their conditions are rarely/never met. I found two bugs just while looking into the mechanic.
Nice finding. Now the question is what happened to their writer? I feel like there isn't much additions in this part ever since EA launch. Or maybe the system actually still bugged and not exactly ready to add more text?

There have already been 1000+ lines of dialog written for the game though. Not all of them are used, however.
Hopefully they're actually written for this game, not just imported from the previous game without editing or at least checking to see if they fit. I recall in Warband how a lot of the dialog from the previous game was reused, whether it applied or not. Your companion interrupts you to point out a castle on a spur in the mountain, except that you're near a river and there's no mountain; that mountain was in original M&B. Same with several other Companion comments; they didn't fit the new map or situation, so they broke immersion instead of reinforcing it.

Revolts against Kings. Something which could work similar to policies. As vassal, you propose the revolt "policy", and then all vassals vote if support It or not. Then all the Clans which support the revolt, make part of a new Rebel kingdom which is at war against the original kingdom (f.e Sturgia rebels at war against Sturgia). Plus would be nice if before proposing the revolt, you could talk with other lords to try to convince them to join your cause.

After winning the war, you are now the ruler clan of original kingdom and you decide if excecute former King or accept him as vassal, take his lands or not.

Not sure if It is really hard to do but I think it is totally possible taking into account current tools and mechanics we have in the game.

Last edited:
Revolts against Kings. Something which could work similar to policies. As vassal, you propose the revolt "policy", and then all vassals vote if support It or not. Then all the Clans which support the revolt, make part of a new Rebel kingdom which is at war against the original kingdom (f.e Sturgia rebels at war against Sturgia). Plus would be nice if before proposing the revolt, you could talk with other lords to try to convince them to join your cause.

After winning the war, you are now the ruler clan of original kingdom and you decide if excecute former King or accept him as vassal, take his lands or not.

Not sure if It is really hard to do but I think it is totally possible taking into account current tools and mechanics we have in the game.

Great idea. I like it.

Basically with design of this game it is possible to play it endlessly. Your skills should raise until certain age and afterwards some should drop as you get older. You should be able to get bastard child. You go through your life to become king but i want to se possible to loose your kingdom so your child could claim it. Maybe you can continue playing as your second male son and, designate your brother as rival and fight for crown... Possiblitities in this game are endless. If this game could merge with Crusader kings it would be best thing ever.

I think one of the biggest problems is that villages are no longer fiefs you can own and manage anymore the lowest tier of settlement possible is the castle another thing is bring back monthly finances idk why the devs made finances update daily.
another thing that would be cool is to create murals inside your castles. Like, imagine if you could use a series of stickers representing you and your troops conquer land and tell a story. or your companions and family members can offer to build special buildings like hanging gardens for characters with high stewardship which lets the caste produce fruits that go into storage that could be used for sieges.a eagles roost allowing you to see the surroundings of your castle wherever you are on the map and get alerts whenever there is an army larger than the garrison. also, make castles/cities harder to take and get a hold of I feel kind of disappointed that I only got a castle after winning a couple of tourneys and stuff. or throw away the ideas of castles and villages being separate altogether and have every village have a defensible "stronghold" of sorts.

I would also like to see villages being unattached from cities and castles. It would make starting your own kingdom much easier since taking over a village is a much simpler matter then taking over a castle or city.

I would also like to be able to build forts in strategic locations like say at a bridge. Make is so that if an invading army wants to get through to your lands find another way or fight at the bridge.

I'd like some real value and utility out of property and relations with notables and clans.
Now they die and get lost! I did all his ****ing quests and he still got lost because he never was powerful to begin with!
I'm the owner why can't I do more to make my villages powerful! Why did he have to get lost?
There should be someway to get rid of notables who hate you (when you own the fief) but this is just garbage.

If they want them to die at least make a child take over with relations in tact ALWAYS. Don't muk it up by being to technical, notable dies = new young notable spawn with same relation/troops.

If I own a fief I should have more stuff to do for it to raise their power and keep everything honky dory for the long haul.

Bad TW, bad, you nerf my babie making, you nerf my notables, you nerf imperial archers,when you gonna finish the stuff I want?

Death makes me care for my char, for my wives (had 2 dead in my actual run) companions and families. To be honest the thing I want the most is to lords marry and marry my family! Death makes me care!

If they won't detach villages from castles and towns then they should allow us to install someone from how clan to be overseer of the towns. Sort of like a yeoman. And we really need to be able to make upgrades to these villages, towns, and castles that have bigger changes so that everything doesn't end up the same. You should have to commit to only having so many building spaces available and you can't just build everything in each. And besides there should be special upgrades for certain towns that maybe only they have. Such as Pen Cannoc maybe having the ability to build the biggest trebuchet in the game for defense that drains the morale of seiging armys.. Or Lageta being able to build a Colosseum for increased loyalty and money.

• I'd love to see a Culture shifting during the progress of the annexed Lands.
  • I'd love get the abiltiy of turning kings into Clients-kings, without have to annexing all their lands
  • I'd love get ships and new lands expansion
  • True Kingdom management
  • Living Court life

Guilds.

Rogue's guild, Warrior's Guild, Hunter's Guild, Blacksmith's Guild, Trader's Guild, Steward's Guild, etc.

Each one could have a side quest arc. Completing these quest arcs for the guild's could be one of the ways to unlock some of the better weapons and armor in the game, or perhaps custom traits that will benefit the character. The quest arcs could contain combinations of hideout battles, open map battles, exploration within cities and villages to find certain people, map travel, etc. Later on final missions could be things like Siege defense battles, Siege offense battles, Or anywhere in there, custom scenes - an in between from your typical bandit camp and typical open map battle, built specifically for the mission you are trying to create in one of these quest arcs for the guilds.

Edit: Also, imagine these guilds taught the player in some ways how to be good at the different ways of playing the game, based on those skills. Right, so like in the trader's guild, there are quests that deal with buying low and selling high, or setting up caravans, etc. just another thought, obviously it wouldn't be applicable in every case, but for some of them, it would be cool I think.

Last edited:
In addition to prices and other pure trade-oriented variables - One of two options for caravans:

1. They choose they path depending on traits. It takes some curage to travel through enemy land.

2. An easy option to change them to "safe mode" - they only trade in Friendly towns/villages.

Similar to others in this thread, I'd advocate holding local courts. The game has lots of hidden mechanics without any player guidance. Where your fief is in problems these issues should be brought to your court for resolution as too often we ignore them:
1. Your village notables with unsolved quests need to bring them to your court before they lose too much power from our negligence;
2. If your village, garrisons or troops are starving, a spokesperson needs to ask for assistance, giving us the option to donate food or gold to improve things;
3. If your village lacks adequate prosperity the locals should be demanding a reduction in taxation, upgrades or assistance;
4. If your village has empty notable slots, a spokesperson should be asking you to appoint new spawns to fill them;
5. If local workshops are failing, this should be brought to your attention, giving you the opportunity to buy them and refocus them on more profitable production;
6. If local bandits are harming trade, a delegation should demand you clean out the local hideout;
7. If a local notable's caravan is destroyed, they should ask for some loan capital (repayable with interest) to avoid them taking a power hit to resume operations.

Clearly, we don't have to help, but we are off fighting so often that when we finally get home a queue of issues, that we'd otherwise ignore, should be waiting to remind us of our responsibilities and help teach us the game mechanics.
Equally, I'd like a court to add some morale dilemmas, for example:
1. One of your favourite top tier troops is guilty of theft/rape/murder and the locals want you to take appropriate action;
2. One of your kids has killed a villager's prized cow by feeding it poison mushrooms and wants compensation;
3. Two locals claim to be the father of a child and the unmarried mother had relations with both of them - who will you force her to marry to placate outraged locals?
4. An old flame turns up at court claiming her son/daughter is your bastard, will you set her up financially and adopt your bastard or turn them away? You'll suffer relationship losses with your wife and legitimate offspring if you adopt.

Back
Top Bottom