What pissed you off today? v. VI

Users who are viewing this thread

Which lovely country would that be?
England ?, it happened in the north of England the day before yesterday aswell when a gang of youths started spitting and coughing at emergency workers who were dealing with an emergency Calling them “disease spreaders” which is ironic coming from people who are spitting their germs whilst calling them that.

Here in NY, the state has ordered all 'non-essential' businesses to close, to try to slow the spread of the disease. Essential businesses, which are allowed to stay open, include grocery stores, farms, and food production; healthcare; gas stations; and 'skilled trade' businesses, like auto repair shops, plumbers, and electricians. Oh, and liquor stores. Liquor stores are considered essential. New York is amazing. :facepalm:

I guess I've been feeling particularly cynical and fed up lately. I was ready to snap this afternoon, when it came up in conversation that one of the truck drivers who regularly comes to the farm to pick up deliveries apparently doesn't believe that it's a virus, because he's a conspiracy theorist who thinks that it's "the 5G" that's making people sick. Jesus Christ. ****ing nutcases are everywhere.

Here in NY, the state has ordered all 'non-essential' businesses to close, to try to slow the spread of the disease. Essential businesses, which are allowed to stay open, include grocery stores, farms, and food production; healthcare; gas stations; and 'skilled trade' businesses, like auto repair shops, plumbers, and electricians. Oh, and liquor stores. Liquor stores are considered essential. New York is amazing. :facepalm:

I guess I've been feeling particularly cynical and fed up lately. I was ready to snap this afternoon, when it came up in conversation that one of the truck drivers who regularly comes to the farm to pick up deliveries apparently doesn't believe that it's a virus, because he's a conspiracy theorist who thinks that it's "the 5G" that's making people sick. Jesus Christ. ****ing nutcases are everywhere.
I honestly don’t know how we’re so advanced in technology compared to 100 years ago and there are still people like that truck driver who are so backward, I’m with you in the whole feeling super cynical thing.

It seems to be something unique to America where politics is so absurdly polarised and distrust of the government is so ingrained. I think everyone is at least subconsciously aware that the state treats them like cattle, and in a country where MKULTRA was a real thing that happened, believing that the virus was the result of phone masts doesn't seem so crazy in comparison.
I guess there's also the disbelief at the idea that a plague of this scale could happen in the current era. A lot of people even in the UK were really reluctant to take this whole thing seriously at first, myself included. It was either "it's just a flu" or "China did it on purpose".

Even in some third world countries where ethnic violence can be triggered by fake news stories, people tend not to believe outright insane conspiracy theories as often as in the US.

I certainly underestimated it at first. Incidentally, does anyone know why it has spread so dramatically compared to previous infections like SARS, MERS etc? Those barely touched the UK; looking at the figures a few people here got them and that was it. Is it because Covid-19 is more contagious or because lots of governments, including the UK's, were too slow in reacting to it?

I hadn't heard of MKULTRA, that's disturbing, though not surprising to me considering other things we know about that era (didn't British troops get knowingly put in danger during nuclear tests?).

Post-Googling: I just found out about this, similar in the abuse of citizenry to MKULTRA : https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-and-biological-warfare-trials-10376411.html

From what I've read about SARS it seems to have been so deadly that it put people in hospital before they could infect people outside those hospitals. It definitely spread way slower than the current strain.
In contrast, swine flu killed about 500,000 people and infected 1.4 billion.

In contrast, swine flu killed about 500,000 people and infected 1.4 billion.

Oh....holy crap, that's a lot more deaths than I had imagined, but then the number infected is colossal. I just read now about the UK's stats on swine flu; an estimated half a million infected, but just 138 deaths. It sounds like a world away from the global figures, but it was not outrageously different in the death rate, though the UK's was lower as one would expect (because of all the less developed nations where I assume the flu was most prevalent), but I am surprised at the number of people infected. It seems Covid-19 has a far higher death rate though, unfortunately, which must be why we didn't need the same restrictive measures in reaction to swine flu.

Third day in a row that heating's completely shot. Not sure what's going on but I've slept in wintery ditches warmer than this

I honestly don’t know how we’re so advanced in technology compared to 100 years ago and there are still people like that truck driver who are so backward, I’m with you in the whole feeling super cynical thing.

I think a lot of it is the simple fact that we have made such strides in just 100 years. When my dad was a kid he shot squirrels to supplement dinner (and also because he likes hunting) and when my grandma was a kid they didn't have indoor plumbing and making a phone call was still border-line inconceivable technomagic. Imagine living your life and seeing such exponential technological growth to the point where the definition of impossible literally changes month-to-month. For all the incredible advancements we still make on a regular basis, we're largely of a generation that just considers unfathomable technological change a fact of life. I'd imagine I'd get whiplash and start distrusting stuff if 50 years ago I'd had to piss out of my window if I woke up in the middle of the night to pee.

My flight was cancelled (refunded) and all flights back to Arlanda Stockholm have been grounded until effectively 1st of May.

La dolce vita. :meh:
Edit: I have a plan. I will punch a police officer, get arrested and extradited. Big brain move

Last edited:
Trying to log in Steam app: "type the security code that is shown in the app". No keyboard found, press any key to continue

To play a game without updating, I'll have to go offline. Just let me be ffs, is a singleplayer.

bYAxM.jpg

I am 9 inches to slim for this ****ing belt. MY LIFE IS OVER!!!! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom