What pissed you off today? v. VI

Users who are viewing this thread

Spraying weeds around our property. So many burdocks. So many ****ing burdocks. If I don't kill them, stunt them so they don't amount to anything, or cut them and clear them away in the fall, the dogs will be getting lots of burs in their hair come fall and wintertime. For anyone unfamiliar with dogs and burs, the dogs hate it when they gets burs in their fur and they kinda freak out, and the burs are miserable to disentangle from a dog's fur even without an upset dog making it worse. So, the best solution is to not have burdock plants where the dogs will get into them. There's always a bunch around the edge of our property, but this year it's a bumper crop. I've cut them back with a string trimmer twice this spring IIRC, and that didn't stop them, so then I decided to switch to spray once my dad started spraying at the farm and we had agricultural-strength weed killer that we could bring home to zap the burdocks with. There were so many, it took me two hours last Sunday to spray them all with the handheld sprayer. This afternoon I went out and... they weren't dead. The ****ers weren't dead. The little plants looked dead. The bigger ones were wilted, but seemed to me to be very much alive. Thus, another hour and a half was spent this afternoon spraying them again. Let's hope that does more to them.

I actually used to cut them down with a scythe, or something like a scythe (I'm not quite sure what you'd call the one we've got). :razz: I still might have to, if the the spray doesn't kill them and they get too big for the string trimmer. I think I realized after going over them a couple times with the string trimmer that the ****ers were just going to keep growing if I didn't find a more permanent solution.

Windows 10's "feature updates". It's taken 3 hours to download this one, and that's not even counting how long it may take to install. Jesus H ****ing Christ. And I still need to uninstall and reinstall my graphics drivers once this is finally over. Which is what I wanted to do 3 hours ago, but I didn't count on this update taking so long.

Just work in a school and get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 for free, then you won't have to worry about any of that piss. It's almost like having Windows 7 again but with the good parts of Windows 10.

Of course, it's still Windows 10. Total Annihilation will never run as good as it did on 7. God bless Windows 7.

'Pissed off' is too strong a phrase, but I am a bit annoyed with myself- Rising Storm stopped loading a few months ago and yesterday Rocket League stopped working. Remembering that reinstalling Win 10 (**** every Windows after 7 and Microsoft's increasing control over my ****ing computer, Win XP was my favourite) worked last time I had this sort of problem with a Steam game (Red Orchestra 2), I did that successfully and lo and behold, Rocket League is reinstalled and working. I haven't had time to reinstall Rising Storm yet but I am confident it will work.

What I suddenly realised, and the reason for my annoyance, is that I have my old HDD idly doing nothing, and that before reinstalling Win 10 onto my SSD I could have copied my games over onto the HDD and saved myself a lot of hours of downloading games. I'm just starting to download the 31GB of Bannerlord for the second time in two days, and it takes 5 or 6 hours on my connection...

I'd love to be able to download 31GB in 5 or 6 hours. :lol: That would take well over 24 hours -probably like 28 hours or so, give or take- for me, if my internet was working normally. God knows how long it might take now, since my internet's on the fritz and could slow way down or lose connection at any time, especially if someone else were to go online on their computers. So I'd probably do it in like 3 nights of overnight downloading.

Still, I can understand why you'd be pissed. Those sort of situations infuriate me, when I realize I've made things worse for myself.

You have my sympathy, I know how frustrating and limiting it can be. It sounds like the connection I had for years before I moved house, maybe a bit worse. I usually got no better than about 200 or 300kb/s download speed, though rarely it got as high as 800kb/s. Even so a week never went by without at least one loss of connection and performance was very erratic. Since moving to a new area six months ago it's considerably better; I don't think I've lost the connection once and downloads are as high as 1.8mb/s, and average not much less than that most of the time. It makes a nice change from years of mediocrity!

My sister has spent about 20 years complaining about how painful and horrible her periods were to any doctor that she saw. One of them finally listened, and sure enough there was some bad, hard to spell stuff going on down there. They just removed her uterus, and she's going to be bed ridden for quite a while. So I figured, you know what, I've got a junky but vaguely decent laptop laying around. Why not hook it up and set it up so that she can watch movies while she's in bed? 12 hours later, I deeply regret using my bed as the place to do this. At least it's finished, and I finally can get to bed. :dead:

I hope this operation greatly improves your sister's comfort Shatari. At least this unfortunate event has taught you a lesson; to be a good brother is a fine thing- to also be a canny brother is even finer!

UPS has hit a new low when it comes to disappointing me. Used to, they'd just say "**** it" and ship it right back to the sender. A phone call got them to hold the packages at the UPS center until I drove an hour to pick them up, and eventually I even got them to either deliver it to our gate (gods forbid) or just leave it at our Post Office (which is the best case scenario), but now they've decided that they can't find my street address anymore so they're just "correcting" my address to a completely different zip code and town. At least the dude who lives there was kind enough to call us and let us know that he got it instead of us. I'm just going to start asking people not to send me stuff via UPS, because rural Kentucky is just a hellhole where the most incompetent drivers are sent to inflict suffering on anyone stupid enough to use their service.

Back
Top Bottom