What made you sad today? v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

It has, hilariously, little to do with Marx himself, since he's just the founding father of the whole marxist approach to human sciences. It's now over a century of collective works from marxist authors, that have in some aspects contributed a lot to historiography, but nowadays sounds like 'MUH EXPLOITED CLASSES'. For example, using the standard class approach has really warped the view many people have of pre industral history, since it imprints ideas of industrial and modern societies in peoples that simply didn't have that kind of organization.

See, people usually think class differences have always been so clear cut as they were in 19th century Europe, that states always had the immense power over daily lives as they have now, etc... For example, many think the Catholic Church was some massive indoctrination agency (which's a classic Marxist view), but there's lots of evidence that while they had a definitive amount of power, it wasn't really as strong as we normally think, Historical processes often aren't so defined as many make them to be.

jacobhinds said:
He's approaching Freud status nowadays.

Pretty much, yeah.

The problem is that there's a whole generation of left wing students who just blindly swallow Marx because it's the first fleshed-out ideology they're exposed to. As a result you get piles of worthless historical literature that reads like a nationalist tirade because too many modern Marxists have one stubborn viewpoint and never shift, or at the very least never pretend to shift from it.

They fall into the classic trap of confirmation bias, they are all so keen to prove Marxism or Neo-Marxism right that in the end most of their work is pretty much ****, since it doesn't hold up to any scientific standards.

I wanted to go see a huge fireworks show tonight, but I started to get a migraine while I was doing my chores and now I'm so sick I can barely lift my arms to type. All told, this is a pretty miserable way to spend the 4th. I hope I'm feeling better tomorrow, as I'm supposed to visit with my sister and my brother-in-law for a long game of disc golf. In addition to enjoying their company, my brother-in-law plays in professional tournaments and I'd like to pick up some pointers.

My next-door neighbor passed away in his sleep. He was a really nice dude and he's leaving behind four kids, one of whom will be in her last year of high school come Autumn. It's a bit of a shock since he wasn't old at all and I'd seen him last week and he was just fine.

Corndawg said:
My next-door neighbor passed away in his sleep. He was a really nice dude and he's leaving behind four kids, one of whom will be in her last year of high school come Autumn. It's a bit of a shock since he wasn't old at all and I'd seen him last week and he was just fine.
How old was he?

Gestricius said:
Corndawg said:
How old was he?

God, I dunno. He couldn't have been over 50, he was the youngest in his family. Mid-40s at the oldest?

Yea some of that "lactose free" stuff is bull****. Some times the "lactose free" milk I buy ****s with my stomach. I haven't found a brand that works 100% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom