What made you sad today? v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

I've felt lonely and bored the last days. Basically I get, do the my stuff and prepare for the day after. Which only takes an hour or, and then i'm bored.
And never feel like playing games, reading books, watching shows or movies. I feel bored and in need of companionship, basically just hang with anyone for some time.

Interest-groups are where you have the highest chances of finding like-minded people, and there's groups out there to cater for a wide range of people with a wide range of interests; archery, martial arts, model trains, comic books, alcoholism, etc.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Get a hobby. Join a group where other people participate in said hobby. Problem solved.

This is an awesome idea, I've started seeing awesome people who I get along with really well ever since I started playing Warhammer 40k.

Looking forward to go and meet e'm every saturday.

Hours and hours of work ahead of me. This would be a good time for that one Spiderman picture with the desk and the masturbation.

Not really something I'm sad about, but more like something I want some opinion on.

So I've been talking to my mom about a number of those reasons that keep me from wanting to return home permanently. And she is using an argument I'm not sure whether I should agree with or not. That is, I'm not born a Westerner and am therefore not entitled to a whole lot of privileges that being born in a developed country with good social infrastructure has, and if I give up that which a Vietnamese is privilege to - mainly roguish slyness, flexibility and the ability/willingness to make the best out of a situation so long as we don't harm anyone * - I'll have nothing to myself but severe disadvantages that would cripple my ability to do anything at all.

I know that statement might be a little... inflammatory, but it actually coincides with what I've been thinking lately. Thoughts, Taleworlders?

* And freedom to date/bang submissive Asian chicks, by definition, but that's neither here nor there.

Why would you have to give up being Vietnamese if you choose to live abroad?

What you seem to fear is losing attitudes and aspects of your personality which in my view at least aren't by default related to where you choose to live but rather who you are as a person.

"Give up" as in "not living in that way", you see.

I guess I have to explain a little further for you Westerners to understand: Let's just say our national identity is defined by a number of good things and a number of bad things. Among the bad things, we have the penchant for extreme competitiveness and the willingness to backdoor/backstab/resort to all sorts of unethical manners to advance one's position as a result of the former. That way of living allows the sly and the "flexible" to achieve far more than what they can by just their sheer ability. When I say "give up" I mean saying no to all of those practices and try to live as a by-the-book, law-abiding, transparent citizen.

That's much easier said than done though. Back at home my parents have constructed such a network of relationship that I need only ask and I'll get whatever I want, be it an easy job that involves writing/teaching/translating, a position that opens up a whole lot of opportunities, a shot at professional journalism, or even a (pretty good shot at getting a) girlfriend among their friends' children (some of whom, as I've heard, are really cool people). All of that I want really, REALLY bad, especially the last one.

Needless to say, all of those I have infinitessimally small chance to get on my own out of what I have in Australia. If I want to live in a strictly "ethical" way, I have to say no to EVERYTHING and try to entrench in Australia, trying to scrape out a living from exhausting part-time jobs to make ends meet while waiting in vain that someone, anyone at all, will take a glance at my resume and not immediately toss it into the bin. Oh, and harboring an unrequited crush on this particular girl whom I know will start to avoid me like the plague if she ever knows I think of her as anything more than a friend. I just cannot, in no way, shape or form, compete with a six-foot-five white Aussie beach boy in both appealing to employers AND girls. Not on his home turf, at least.

This is probably the toughest choice in my life so far and I have no idea what I should do. And frankly speaking I have never quite been the guy who'd willingly martyr himself.

Ah, that makes sense.

Reading your reply, I get the feeling that you want to go with the former option as opposed to the latter.

Not that I would blame you, it seems like a rather appealing choice; unless of course there is an even more important reason as to why you would like to stay abroad.

Aside from wanting to stay as lawful good as humanly possible and some public order concerns back home that ultimately can be resolved? Then no, not really.

The thing that muddles stuffs even more is that I'm convinced that if I go back home and help myself to everything my parents lay out for me, it's going to do nobody any harm. I'm qualified for teaching English (as you can see) AND finance/accounting/economics; I am willing to devote tons of time to proper research so that when I ever publish any article I know what I'm talking about; and if I do ask my parents to hook me up with someone it's less like arranged marriage and more like "Hey, you know, one of my friend has this really cool kid they want to introduce to you" provided the girls are still single.

If anything, if I can't find a job in another 6 months then staying here in Australia would become a waste of talent, pardon my ego - I didn't study for 16 years on end just to scrape a living washing piles after piles of dishes in a suburban Chinese restaurant of debatable hygienic standard.

I say get out. You deserve better than a rich life on other people's merits. Of course, my entire view of the world is so radically different than yours that any advice I give is really poorly given.

I'd love to do that, if I could. The jump between "ridiculously privileged" and "ridiculously disadvantaged", however, is still going to hurt a whole lot. As I said, between an Aussie beach boy in his home environ and yet another Asian immigrant with no real advantage, there's just no competition. Even worse in a financial crisis when everything is in short supply. If I mule it out and stay, there's a very good chance I won't even be able to feed myself after a while, much less be a law-abiding citizen.

Reality and idealism does not really mix.

Heck, if you do starve, then you can come back. If not, well, don't you think it's an equal waste of your talent living on nepostistically arranged positions instead of earning your stuff by the might of your pen? Still, I suppose I must respect you when you say you don't want to be unemployed.

Back
Top Bottom