What made you lose faith in humanity today?

Users who are viewing this thread

I am amazed by two points. a) Why everyone tells of his/her misfortunes just now and not, say, a couple of years ago? Like the actual ****ing time they got harassed? Because that would be more efficient. Also, b)I've read that Weinstein's 'practice' was well known, even Scotlard Yard knew about it etc. So, I suspiciously wander in Greek, why all those poor souls that got harassed, allowed themselves to be harassed when they more or less knew what was going on with that creep? And why, again, they kept silent for a given amount of time?  :neutral:

Of course these people went on with it because of a rational speculation that it wasn't productive for their goals to get up in arms. But that doesn't make Weinstein any better
Even if it was a "free act" to suck this ugly mf 's **** to get a role or whatever

Sleeping with a producer or some other figurehead in the industry can open many doors for a young and unscrupulous actor. That's how the entire industry works. Sex is an instrument people in show biz use and so are allegations of sexual harassment.
I actually think that people like Weinstein are despicable. I also think that people who are willing to suck a **** to advance their career are no different. Just like with bribery, I believe both sides should be equally responsible for their actions.

Weaver said:
I actually think that people like Weinstein are despicable. I also think that people who are willing to suck a **** to advance their career are no different. Just like with bribery, I believe both sides should be equally responsible for their actions.

More or less my point. The voluntarily harassed might be lower in the vileness scale, but they're there.

I'm just happy to see some people who think the reactions against Spacey were completely over-the-top. I won't claim that I 'know' the details like many like to do after reading a couple tweets and remembering a Family Guy joke, but the accusation and what Spacey said were all... pretty tame, and fairly unsubstantiated. I think Weinstein generated so much hatred that people are ready for any target for the one of the worst things mass communication has enabled - the trial by public opinion. I expect to see more people ruined by accusations, both spurious and not.

Evvv said:
Moose's article says he was 14, and the article I read also said he was 14.
Yeah, but Spacey was 99.99% operating under the understandable assumption he was adult.

But anyway, as Weaver said - what Spacey did according to Rapp was legally nothing, or at least I really hope it is nothing.

The ultimate problem here is twofold

1) that the window of what is considered sexual assault has expanded significantly both legally and in the court of public opinion and the extremely loaded word "assault" is now used for almost anything and the mental picture the average person has when they hear "sexual assault" is basically unsuccessful rape attempt even though what it came to mean is touching somebody's knee for two seconds.

2) that evidence has become irrelevant, especially in the court of public opinion. Anyone can say anything and we're supposed to take it as it comes otherwise we're victim-blaming. Even if nothing happens to Spacey legally, he's already done and done in his field of work and since his face and name is known to everyone who hasn't been living under a rock the past 25 years, anytime he walks down the street people will know him as the pervert/rapist. All based on "someone said so".

This is imo another iteration of the American obsession with hunting down the perverts and the American long-term pathological fear that there's always a rapist behind every corner. Except y'all have moved from Tom Robinsons to "350% of women are raped every day on every college campus" and now to Hollywood personalities.

That is not to say that Weinstein or Spacey are not or have not at some point been sleazy, but to paraphrase Dave Chapelle - being sleazy is not a reason to hate a mother****er.

The reactions might have been over-the-top when it was just one allegation, but now ..

I'm not so sure.

At this point it's a free-for-all for everyone to make up a story so I just won't bother following it. It was really the same with Weinstein even fairly early on, just like it was with Cosby. I don't doubt some of the accusations are genuine, but all of them? Nah, people see an opportunity to be part of a crowd, say that they were involved with someone famous and be a victim all at the same time and they're gonna take it.

Montana says he was left with PTSD for six months after he claims Spacey "forcefully" grabbed his crotch.

Just...what?

I know people with heavy cases of PTSD from you know, sitting on the frontline under heavy fire, or spending a few cold nights in a ditch unable to stand up. And then there's this guy. The bandwagoning in these cases is surreal.

Jean-Chrysostôme Bruneteau de Sainte-Suzanne said:
Clearly.

celebrity-tattoos-1.jpg
I wonder how many dicks passed between these lips.

Back
Top Bottom