What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

It doesn't. Conceptual / performance art has been in a rut since the 1960s where it has broken pretty much every standard and norm and has nothing left. Ever since then it's tried to use activism to justify its existence, but because the conceptual art world is so insular and artists tend to care more about empty exhibitionism than actually doing anything concrete, you just end up with stuff like this.

tV-8G.jpg

This alone is mentioned every week on racist websites, along with other Netflix race miscastings that are mentioned daily.
The whites are pissed and it's not easy to defend the occasional blackwashing of history.
Now those people are racist, and if you present every non-white historical character as white, they wouldn't bat an eye because they live in the 50s.
But, this is too much. I like history and accurate presentation and this just says "we don't care" from the producers, "we are making this for Twitter activists".

This alone is mentioned every week on racist websites, along with other Netflix race miscastings that are mentioned daily.
The whites are pissed and it's not easy to defend the occasional blackwashing of history.
Now those people are racist, and if you present every non-white historical character as white, they wouldn't bat an eye because they live in the 50s.
But, this is too much. I like history and accurate presentation and this just says "we don't care" from the producers, "we are making this for Twitter activists".

Yep its an naive attempt at "hey lets homogenize everyone so no one is any race or gender or nationality -we're just ALL EARTHLINGS!!! (maybe..)"

The thing ive learned about racists and ive lived among many for long periods of time as a Biracial dude, they ALWAYS find something to be angry about -these are just like gimmies.

Theres a difference between giving all peoples real decent opportunities to act and get starring roles and just making ridiculous choices that feel like throwing raisins in tomato soup . Do we really want to see 1930's Nazis played by indigenous Peruvians? Kinda kills the message of what really happened in my opinion.

Yes. The current crown prince is named Haakon. I think he'll be Haakon VIII.
It's fine to make fiction based on history. I was just hoping for an actual historical show, which it can't be then.
I see why racists can use this. I don't follow that type of social media. But it is getting a bit out of hand.
If producers want more women (and minorities) then just make stories with them. That's fine.
It's grotesque to try and change history like that. Just like Hollywood back in the day used white actors for everything.
Turning Haakon woman is not just a visual change. It changes the entire lineage and social structure. If history had plot holes this would create a billion of them.

This whole thing is ugly. As a complete outsider to the whole white vs black brouhaha, this blackwashing trend looks like a very petty and childish fight. "Black characters were whitewashed in the past, so let's do the opposite now! That'll show them!" "Haha whites mad!" "Haha males seething cuz strong females." That's still ugly discrimination. It's just against white people/men, instead of black people/women now. If you want to erase racism, just don't do it at all. Make your movies as authentic as possible. Stop thinking about one-upping the other race. It's disgusting.

Before anyone accuses me of being a malding white cis male whatever, I'm a brown Muslim guy who also studied Buddhism from Indonesia.

Besides, they are very silly in their approach. Why go for dark skinned Norsemen or English or such? You can do an Ancient Greece show, even include or focus on Egypt, Persia or go as far as south of Egypt, if you are daring. And if you go the Ancient Greece route, you will have the bonus of adding tons (and TONS) of gay people of any sex and nobody would mind, object or bat an eye; they'll endorse you! No need for all this nonsense, when you have source material ready and waiting.
Same with all the black Achilles, black Boleyn and all that. What, people from the whole frigging African continent don't have a legendary warrior, worth showing to the rest of the world? Or a dynasty worthy of a drama series? I somehow doubt that. I can think of at least 2 or 3 for every category, and I only read a couple of books on the subject, not even enough to be considered an amateur (and one was the travel logs of a 14th century guy).
Just saying, they are missing opportunities and pissing their viewers off, at the same time.

Exactly. It's disgusting because it's such an obvious one-upping game. There are many legendary non-whites and women in history. Why not work on those? Hell, India's Bahubali series could make admirable and strong female characters without having them be warriors who insult every man they come across. And no, they weren't short haired beefy lesbians either.

Back
Top Bottom