What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Last post on the previous page, which is a reference to this post:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,188133.msg7414098.html#msg7414098

And Monty's reply is a reference to this one:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,179332.msg4310935.html#msg4310935

Oh crap, didn't realize it was SD. A bit pompous and defensive, and certainly not wise to the ways of forums and trolls.
Feragorn said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how is it that every major modder except d'sparil turned out to be such a self-absorbed lunatic?
They didn't go into modding to do impersonal customer support for difficult people. And they are highly visible targets for complaints, abuse and trolling.
There's only a few that are actually loons.

Evvv said:
Last post on the previous page, which is a reference to this post:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,188133.msg7414098.html#msg7414098

And Monty's reply is a reference to this one:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,179332.msg4310935.html#msg4310935
Excellent reads, thanks.

Feragorn said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how is it that every major modder except d'sparil turned out to be such a self-absorbed lunatic?
The naive expectation of a modder:
"I will create a mod, free to play, for the enjoyment of others. Surely this will result in appreciation of my work."

Then the introduction to the vocal minority happens.
"Fix this."
"This is ****."
"People are exploiting this and this."

Releasing Full Invasion was my first reality check as a developer. Joining a server and watching players switch map about 4 times before actually playing a round because it wasn't their favorite map and people just always press 1 on those polls, ugh.

I am guilty of being a self-absorbed lunatic now, people are absolute idiots and should be treated as such.

For every Saxondragon, Cozur or Gabrilduro -nothing personal with any of them, they seem to be, as fera aptly mentioned, "self-absorbed lunatics"- there are ten or twenty Jacobhinds, phlpp, Somebody, SnD, Lumos(remember when Lumos did the Blue Stone? Yeah, those times are gone now. :shock:), mikeboix, the Brytenwalda team, Duh, Caba'drin and the list goes on pretty much forever. Archer is a nice guy too, when he pops up(and gives us OSP codes).

Same thing goes for the players. For every annoying dude, there are dozens of people having something constructive to say or notice.

Much love <3

I am sure some of us will get back to modding when Bannerlord stops being a meme and gets released. Caba is probably lost to dadhood and science tho.

Comrade Temuzu said:

Some absolute madman actually paid 300 buckaroos for Tyrone to read this.

QDOfT.png

Holy ****.  :lol:

Arch3r said:
The naive expectation of a modder:
"I will create a mod, free to play, for the enjoyment of others. Surely this will result in appreciation of my work."

This is the problem, I think. If you make a mod for other people to enjoy you'll always be disappointed because regardless of what it is, only a few people are going to enjoy it, and the rest will strongly dislike some elements of it. Also if you're expecting appreciation as a reward then you're kind of wasting your time because praise is few and far between. Someone might be playing your mod for hundreds of hours and it might cure their despressiom or whatever, but you'll never know.

Saxondragon probably thought he had created a tolkeinian masterpiece in his head, and one that couldn't be criticised at all. That tends to happen on any project you spend years and years on, but the problems come when the creator ties his or her personal worth to the creatiin. So when somebody says "lmao this is just a silly tolkein clone with a generic unengaging story", he or she is objectively correct, :^) but saxondragon is emotionally attached to his writing and is willing to post absurd linguistic explanations to defend himself.

Me, an intellectual: I wanted to make a mod about the gunpowder empires of the 1600s after I did a few essays in university. I spent most of my time testing battles with 1000 men, and that was the enjoyment I got from it more than anything else. I think this is probably the most healthy way to treat modding since working for the expectations and praise of a bunch of strangers can be really draining.

Precisely Jacob. Actually, doing anything in life with the expectation of the appreciation of others is a fool's errand and a sure way to become frustrated and bitter, for many of the reasons you mention. Do you, do what gives you satisfaction and purpose. You'll always have haters, no matter how hard you try not to.

Back
Top Bottom