What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

I wasn't always giving direct quotes I'm just saying things in the gist I got from the article and others. This is from the article and syllabus in one though 'According to the syllabus, it will also examine art as related to “questions of gender class and ‘race’” as well as Western capitalism.' So clearly they are making it about that. I've already said I agree that more diverse art should be added if it's supposed to be the history of all art, but it all boils down to the classic modern leftiness about white privilege, anti-capitalism, anti-western (not fully but overly critical of) culture. It's hard to fully explain what I mean but that's the gist, I just feel as if they could have gone about it a different way, I'm not disagreeing with adding more diverse art. Can't be bothered to keep talking about it but I'm not fully against what you're saying, not fully for it either.

No professor is ever going to teach something that blatantly one-sided. The vast (and I mean VAST) majority of people who go to university aren't this stereotype of a blue haired radical feminist. I went to one of the most radical universities in Britain and in most of my courses nobody was like that.
That's like Richard Spencer saying it wasn't really that alt-right :razz:

I'm not saying there weren't people like that at my uni, but they were far more active on the uni facebook group than in meatspace, and rarely made it beyond the first year. One guy started ranting about the white supremacy of disregarding palestine as a middle eastern state at the end of a lecture, and everyone else just walked out. The idea that these people have any control over the curriculum is silly.

When people like Dante say universities have a "left wing influence" they are conflating basically every ideology which questions the status quo, including a fair number which don't, like postmodern liberalism. The reason there are hardly any "right wing" professors is because our modern western idea of "right wing" is essentially anti-intellectualism.

That's normal. "The Left" also lump everyone from the National Review to literal, actual Adolf Hitler as "fascists". It's just perspective. The closer you are to something the more what others perceive as incomprehensible arcane details, you perceive as substantial differences.

Anyway, what reasons other than power posturing against whitey was what Yale did? Yale already offers dozens of undergrad art history courses on non-Western canon, including courses like Chinese Painting in the 17th Century, South Korean Urbanism, Islamic Poetry, Pre-Columbian Architecture or Art and Ritual in Tribal India. They're making it sound like Yale was withholding the very information that anything other than New England and Ancient Greece & Rome exists from the poor, unwitting students.

But in reality all that happened was that the figurative blue pixie cuts got their panties in a bunch over the fact that the generically called art history course in a Western university covers *gasp* Western art. Now the students can take one woke shallow course instead of the pre-existing several in-depths courses. Curriculum decolonized, progress progressed!

The article has a pretty neutral tone, even mentioning that emphasis on classical Western art can be a symptom of being literally Hitler :razz:

It's not making me believe anything, I just looked at the department's website and saw how many non-Western courses they already offer.

You didn't have to take it unless you wanted to major in art history. You could just go straight for the Korean urbanism and Indian tribal art if you didn't care for Michelangelo and Byron. Or you could take one of the four other courses that have the word "Introduction" in it. Like "Introduction to the History of Art: The Arts of Islam" or "Introduction to the History of Art: Global Decorative Arts", "Introduction to the History of Art: Buddhist Art and Architecture 900 to 1600" and then go for the Chinese 17th Century Painting.

Literally the only problem was that the course was called "Introduction to the History of Art: Renaissance to Present" instead of "Introduction to the History of Art in Europe and North America and possibly a little bit of Latin America: Renaissance to Present"

The "left" and the "right" students can only really be so in the first year or two of the college. My opinion is that "higher education" is much more than what you learn at uni amphitheaters, but also the life experience you get from living by yourself, your roomates, in a city probably far from your hometown (for most of the people). Whoever finishes higher education and is still even slightly blinded by any political ideology, affiliation, persuasion, or any kind of dogmatic notion for that matter (religion etc), i would say they can freely throw their diplomas down the toilet.

Interesting californication of Conneticut, anyways ?

Last edited:
That situation when you print a Brexit stamp but the the Brexit gets delayed so you have to print a new date over the old one and still can issue the stamp :lol::lol:

Brexit has been a concern of the EU at all levels since 2016, because for the first time a state has requested an exit from the EU. Austrian Post is now dedicating a special stamp to the British's actual exit - the "Brexit".

The special stamp that Austrian Post is now issuing is as special and unique as the history of Brexit. Starting from the announced departure date March 29, 2019, a special stamp was printed with this date. To emphasize the special position visually, the area of the United Kingdom was provided with a light blue transparent varnish. The EU countries, on the other hand, were printed in dark blue using the normal offset process, the non-EU members are shown in white.

Finally, March 29, 2019 became January 31, 2020 - and the original stamp was updated using the overprint process.

https://www.ots.at/presseaussendung...-ueberrascht-mit-briefmarke-zum-brexit-anhang

https://onlineshop.post.at/onlinesh...ken/sondermarken/brexit-180-sondermarke_18208

Edit: right, i was on the phone

OwGgj.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom