What made you happy today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Congrats. What is it?
I had been managing a small(two people) organisation campaigning against individual firms(retails, restaurants, cafes, hotels) selling cage eggs and making them pledge to go cage-free by a certain date. Recently we applied for a 25000-75000$ grant from an individual donor abroad and we got it and the donor's going to pay sizeable part of it in advance. Now I have the chance to hire myself as the first full-time paid staff and Turkish Lira depreciated a lot so it makes for a comfortable living in Istanbul. And there are other realistic funding opportunities from funds abroad.

The jobs offers a lot of learning opportunity since I will be managing the entire thing and hiring people and so on. I normally plan to work in it like 2-3 years, achieve something impressive then use the experience and network to switch to politics or management consultancy. But not sure how much this experience would be seen as an asset in these areas so still talking with friends about that to decide.

I've been finally doing something for my health a bit. It's spring, and due to being in an employment "limbo" due to 'rona, I've had time to take my dog for really long walks. Now I'm that "tired-happy" state of mind after...well, it was probably about 20 km "morning" walk.

You guys don't have a lockdown?

A mild one. Most shops and services closed or restricted, banned gathering of 5+ people (I think it's 5), social distancing pretty much mandated, masks mandatory within settlement limits, international travelling restricted, but we're allowed to go out for walks. And I've got protected natural area crisscrossed by touristic paths less than 2 km from my house...

Ah, ok. We have a serious lockdown, all stores apart from supply/supermarkets etc. are closed and you can only go out with a special paper. The fine is sth like 150€ -not a great one-, but sadly, there are idiots that go around because "muh daily walk/coffee hour".

Ah, ok. We have a serious lockdown, all stores apart from supply/supermarkets etc. are closed and you can only go out with a special paper. The fine is sth like 150€ -not a great one-, but sadly, there are idiots that go around because "muh daily walk/coffee hour".

Yeah, that's 'rona. The sooner government reacts and the more people actually behave, the less restrictive measures are actually necessary. Some shops have reopened already and there's talk of reopening the schools...though it seems so far like they're doing it too fast, there aren't enough recovered people to make a dent in spreading the 'rona if it's cut loose...

Well, being safe is better than being discomforted, I think. There's talk of opening stores and school here, too. Stores maybe, but schools? I mean, speaking as a teacher, the children(and parents) that want to continue their education, can, nowadays. The whole curriculum is uploaded on the net and there have been some wonderful people that covered most, if not all of it during the quarantine. Mostly for Middle and High school, of course. About elementary school, I can't say, as I haven't looked into it.

Yeah, that's 'rona. The sooner government reacts and the more people actually behave, the less restrictive measures are actually necessary. Some shops have reopened already and there's talk of reopening the schools...though it seems so far like they're doing it too fast, there aren't enough recovered people to make a dent in spreading the 'rona if it's cut loose...

Here in Germany some shops that are not essential have started to reopen. For example Bookshops or Ice Cafés. They have to follow strict rules but since tuesday the city and public transportation is flooded compared to the last week.
As someone that actually can't do Homeoffice (I wouldn't call my own job essential but the company I work at it is part of the gas sector)
I don't like that. I don't want me or anybody to get sick just because someone needed ice cream.
I think Corona is going to have a big comeback in Germany soon.

But as I don't want to end my post here on a bad note:
Life's been good to me: Me and my girlfriend are finally moving into our own, spacey flat (for the last 5 years we have been living with 3 other guys in Student housing) and I got a Job interview on Monday.

Finally made it back home (well, waiting for plane to Arlanda at Frankfurt atm) I'm so happy that this is over and I didn't get stuck. Kudos to the Lufthansa pilot that landed almost half an hour early, you did well, Sven. I almost felt the tiny American that lives in a dark corner of my brain want to applaud you

Here in Germany some shops that are not essential have started to reopen. For example Bookshops or Ice Cafés. They have to follow strict rules but since tuesday the city and public transportation is flooded compared to the last week.
As someone that actually can't do Homeoffice (I wouldn't call my own job essential but the company I work at it is part of the gas sector)
I don't like that. I don't want me or anybody to get sick just because someone needed ice cream.
I think Corona is going to have a big comeback in Germany soon.

But as I don't want to end my post here on a bad note:
Life's been good to me: Me and my girlfriend are finally moving into our own, spacey flat (for the last 5 years we have been living with 3 other guys in Student housing) and I got a Job interview on Monday.

It is a very, very sneaky disease given how many people get infected and don't even show symptoms. It is just so easy to relax and think you are safe when you are fighting an invisible enemy...

Speaking of sneaky, I am stupid happy myself right now because I have been working on a C++ application for my job and I have finally just figured out what is causing a stupid bug I have been spending days trying to fix. I had a suspicion on what the issue was but it was somewhat hidden in my code so it took me a while to figure it out. Now that I have I am probably waaaaay more happy about this than I should be (I suppose staying at home this long lowers the threshold for what is exciting :grin:).

LNK2019@@~A092934023 ERROR:You may not have acce739234998800000000@@;CF_AAAA.com/errorreportingQTA:ERROR ON HASH2349234238428348239492834920348203423423-4234 (system32.cpp line 32002 issued Mauve Warning on sector T()"(£)"*£("£*"("£*(£*£@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ss to this function.cpp. public:

:lol: my bug was more of something not behaving as expected in the executable, but yes I had my fair share of those as well. Good times, good times.

Weather's great, the trees are green, the windows are open, people are out... you know that feeling in the spring/summer, like the world is alive, like it's the time of year to go out and have a good time? I'm feeling that; it feels good. Had an easy day at work today -went in late, came home early- which was nice, and I got to see my uncle, which was nice. No three day weekend for us, though. Farmers have to work when the weather's good, and the forecast is good, so it sounds like we'll be hard at it tomorrow and into next week.

I'm not used to warm weather, though. Two weeks ago it was snowing. Next week is supposed to be in the 80s (Fahrenheit). I wish we had more modern tractors with cabs at our farm. The one I've been running lately is a nice modern one with a great cab and AC, but the one my dad's always used for planting is an older open one. It's a great little tractor, but whomever is running it from now on will get to bake in the sun for hours on end. We shouldn't need to be doing that anymore, IMHO.

Quarantine is over, I got back to my dorm and it smells kinda weird but my girlfriend is coming to see me today so it's all good :party:

Next week is supposed to be in the 80s (Fahrenheit).

:smile: Some of my American friends do this too, I assume as a courtesy so that this Eurotrash isn't confused. But the overlap is only relevant when the number is less than ~ 40. If it's 80 C outside, you don't have to worry about anything, least of all measurement units.

Back
Top Bottom