What made you awestruck or astonished today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Congrats @kurczak!

Finally a new forum user indeed!

giphy.webp

Thank you to all well-wishers, past and future. Obviously, it's a high-risk pregnancy, so it ain't over till it's over, but so far so good and it is what it is. I'm out of cliches now.

Since there is no "What made you proud of yourself" thread, I take this one to present my greatest life achievment so far! Personal life, job or academic successes are one thing, but this is beyond all this:

EKV1o.jpg

I must be a literal god of parallel parking. Between my black car and the one in front of it is a space of about 2mm. The cars are not touching and to my best knowledge have not touched. Could not be arsed to reverse 10 cm just for the photo

So here's a story @Shatari would enjoy: I -and many others- spent 90 minutes tonight trying to catch a neighbor's calf. As in, a young cow. I was just leaving the farm to go home, it was after dark, when I saw a calf cross the road in front of me and disappear into the dark. A couple of other cars had stopped, so when I talked to one of the other drivers (one of our neighbors) he told me that a young couple had just bought a 'pet' calf and it had gotten loose. Okay, I thought, it's going to be an interesting night. So I went back to the farm, got out the side-by-side (two-seat off road vehicle), turned on the headlights, and headed out to go look for a dark calf, in the dark. What was amazing was the community response. Within minutes we had another side-by-side and an ATV out there, both with lights, and several people on foot with flashlights and headlamps. At one point later I think we had at least 8 people there as well as me. I didn't even know who some of them were.

I got super lucky and spotted it after 5 minutes, but what was amazing after that was how downright impossible it was to catch the stupid animal. We spent the next hour chasing it all over the place, in the dark, on foot and in vehicles. After chasing it around the field for a while we thought we had it cornered in an old lady's front yard (:lol:), but after a few minutes of cajoling it took off again, so back to chasing it around the field. The whole thing could be summed up by an hours' worth of the Yakety Sax song. All of this wasn't too far from the road, so there were several vehicles parked along the road with headlights on. The old lady in the house told me she was afraid there was a police manhunt happening. :lol: I'd left the side-by-side which was a dumb idea, turns I am too out of shape to be running around on uneven ground for any length of time. So that sucked. I wasn't the only one with a stitch in my side, either. The calf wouldn't let anyone near it most of the time, and if it decided to run only the ATV and the other side-by-side could keep up, with the rest of us running behind, waiting for it to slow down again. Just as I was about to give up the others finally caught the calf and put a rope around it. Whew. 5 minutes later it had slipped the rope and took off again. I was not the only person saying WTF, but it quickly ran into the undergrowth and got stopped. This time people tied every rope, collar, and halter to it they could find. When we finally loaded it into a trailer it was quite docile, but I think four people were hanging onto it with ropes, and the rest of us were staying close. I don't want to do that again for a while. That calf was not worth that much work, but its owners were very happy, so I might have made a friend or two tonight. It was an adventure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom