What kind of new faction(s) would you like to see added to the game in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

I like the idea of Nords, Darshi and a not-China but the current Kingdom governance, policies and flavors drastically need attention. Right now everyone is the same with flavor text and if you do the main campaign they come to kick your ass all the same.

There are also minor factions we cannot even join, recruit from, nor have a settlement. Without all of that being addressed itd be annoying just to have another container of digital meat to grind

one that invades calradia and phacks up all the current factions if they wont put up a fight, it has to be overpowered of course and function like the black knight invasion in old warband, because why reinvent or think of crazy new stuff when you can copy paste since tw is the dev of mountnblade warband anyway...

>more vikings in a game that already has an entire faction of vikings

71nJtF2woeL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
It'd be interesting to sea how weapons at sea could be used for ship to ship engagements.
Greek Fire siphons! Small ship mounted ballistae/catapults! Ramming even?

Viking Conquest sea battles were okay IMO, even though there wasn't really much depth to them other than positioning your ship well so that as many troops could be brought to bear as possible.
I fear going from Senala to Zeonica might be cheaper and more profitable over land than sea since it'd have far less overhead going on and less risk if this isn't balanced for it, or alternatively might flood the markets and make nautical trade a waste of resources to invest in
I would go so far as to make ships move slightly faster in the overworld than parties on horseback, and maybe even remove the land connector between the Aserai and West Empire coast so that ships can travel there. And adding more navigable rivers for ships.

I would like the current kingdoms fleshed out with cultural differences not just troop tree's. But if i was going to add new kingdoms (style of kingdom) Japanese Samurai type and a African Ku****e style kingdom Elephants and the like. Both would add something different and the armour and weapons would be very different to what we have.

There should be either a black African or a kind of South East Asian style kingdom in the south east of the map. With a lot different clothing and armor style compared to what we have now.

All Aserai in the south is as boring as would be more clone factions similar to existing faction as are sadly proposed in several posts.

I would like the current kingdoms fleshed out with cultural differences not just troop tree's. But if i was going to add new kingdoms (style of kingdom) Japanese Samurai type and a African Ku****e style kingdom Elephants and the like. Both would add something different and the armour and weapons would be very different to what we have.
I don't know why everyone insists on Samurai. Too far away, and TW would prolly make them look Sengoku Jidai because that sells, and not Heian period big shoulders.

And why Kush, when the Kingdom of Makuria exists as a more medieval and capable civilisation anyway? I would not give them elephants though, they have utterly no record of it.

Much rather give elephants to an South Asian kingdom instead.

I don't know why everyone insists on Samurai. Too far away, and TW would prolly make them look Sengoku Jidai because that sells, and not Heian period big shoulders.

And why Kush, when the Kingdom of Makuria exists as a more medieval and capable civilisation anyway? I would not give them elephants though, they have utterly no record of it.

Much rather give elephants to an South Asian kingdom instead.
Yeah, Japan is always a very weird suggestion. I like the Japanese culture and history as much as the next guy but it's so far away to the geography that the game is based on that they may as well suggest Australian Aboriginals and Aztecs (yeah yeah, I know that the Aztec Empire was founded at the end of 13th/beginning of the 14th century) be added to the game.

Yeah, Japan is always a very weird suggestion. I like the Japanese culture and history as much as the next guy but it's so far away to the geography that the game is based on that they may as well suggest Australian Aboriginals and Aztecs (yeah yeah, I know that the Aztec Empire was founded at the end of 13th/beginning of the 14th century) be added to the game.
I mean, Mongolia is likewise super far away from France yet there was a not-Mongolia in Warband so it's hardly unprecedented. Besides, this is a fantasy world, any two-bit writer could justify civilizations based off historically far-off ones being close by with minimal effort. They could even place a not-Korea in that cold peninsula northeast of Sturgia and have isolationism and big boats as the reason why they don't appear in Warband; they're too isolationist to leave and too boat-loving to be invaded effectively lol. Maybe stick not-Japan in the not-Arctic Sea while they're at it lol.

HalfMetalJacket:​

(I apologize for the atrocious quoting--I just don't know how to do it properly...:???:)

Simple; they're popular. Japan's a pop-cultural obsession with practically the entire world and as long as they remain so popular you'll see Sinophiles (not sure whaat word to use since "weeb" would imply I want to be Japanese or something lol) like me pushing for them lol. The word does work in the sense I'm also pushing for a China-like though lol.

The classic image of a samurai is a katana-wielding dude in red armor with shield plates on their shoulders, so I'm certain they'd be in. I doubt we'd see a bunch of gun-toting samurai cowboys in Western-inspired armor unless they plan on introducing firearms while they're at it lol.

(I apologize for the atrocious quoting--I just don't know how to do it properly...:???:)

Simple; they're popular. Japan's a pop-cultural obsession with practically the entire world and as long as they remain so popular you'll see Sinophiles (not sure whaat word to use since "weeb" would imply I want to be Japanese or something lol) like me pushing for them lol. The word does work in the sense I'm also pushing for a China-like though lol.
Well yeah but... bleh. I guess I figured people here were too obsessed with 'muh historical pedantry' to be weebish... but I guess they aren't.

The classic image of a samurai is a katana-wielding dude in red armor with shield plates on their shoulders, so I'm certain they'd be in. I doubt we'd see a bunch of gun-toting samurai cowboys in Western-inspired armor unless they plan on introducing firearms while they're at it lol.
I think they will lol. I've seen people regard the O-yoroi styled armour of the Mongol invasions to be too goofy looking compared to the sexier, slimmed down stuff in the later periods. Ffs, we have plate armour shoulders for Vlandia, Ottoman armour on the Aserai and late Mongol/Ming gear for the Khuzaits. TW would 100% add late period samurai gear because they don't have good thematic direction anymore... if ever.

I mean, Mongolia is likewise super far away from France yet there was a not-Mongolia in Warband so it's hardly unprecedented. Besides, this is a fantasy world, any two-bit writer could justify civilizations based off historically far-off ones being close by with minimal effort. They could even place a not-Korea in that cold peninsula northeast of Sturgia and have isolationism and big boats as the reason why they don't appear in Warband; they're too isolationist to leave and too boat-loving to be invaded effectively lol. Maybe stick not-Japan in the not-Arctic Sea while they're at it lol.
Well to be fair, the Mongol Empire did reach as far west as Romania and Anatolia (where Warband Calradia was kinda maybe potentially based on) and had significant influence there such as gathering tribute from the Ottoman beylik, unlike Japan which became an actual country (rather than tiny warring states) around the 16th century iirc. Like don't get me wrong, I do like Japan and the imagery of samurai, but Japan wasn't even a thing until much later than the set timeline and not relevant until the Meiji restoration.

This is also related to another historical pet peeve of mine where people want there to be a Greece based faction; Greece wasn't a country until the 19th century (and didn't have their current borders until after WW2), the Byzantines/Romans didn't identify as Greeks despite speaking a Greek based language/dialect, they identified as Romans. I do love Greece, but adding a bronze age/classical era culture (while also having a the empire that has occupied them for centuries to a millennium and has been greatly influenced by them) would be very weird.

Last edited:
Well yeah but... bleh. I guess I figured people here were too obsessed with 'muh historical pedantry' to be weebish... but I guess they aren't.

I think they will lol. I've seen people regard the O-yoroi styled armour of the Mongol invasions to be too goofy looking compared to the sexier, slimmed down stuff in the later periods. Ffs, we have plate armour shoulders for Vlandia, Ottoman armour on the Aserai and late Mongol/Ming gear for the Khuzaits. TW would 100% add late period samurai gear because they don't have good thematic direction anymore... if ever.
Really? I LOVE the Japanese-looking armor the Khuzaits have spliced with the lamellar of the Sturgians--just such a cool look that approximates the style I like to roll with in this game.

You can't really be a historical pedant about a fictional universe, can you? I mean, you can be a lore pedant, but I think it's a little silly to take IRL as the only basis for a fantasy world and... it helps most historically-enthused people I'm even superficially familiar with are weebs lol. But that might just be because my own entry into historical interest was Japanese video games like Dynasty Warriors and Romance of the Three Kingdoms lol, so I'm kinda in a bubble... but even basic perusing on YouTube makes it clear that East Asia is super popular among English-speaking history buffs. Or maybe it's just an echo chamber I'm trapped in, lol...

I don't mind anachronistic armor existing when I'm too ignorant to know better :razz: but when I do I prefer it to be rare and treated as, basically, high experimental cutting-edge technology that you need stocks in Google to be able to afford lol.

Well to be fair, the Mongol Empire did reach as far west as Romania and Anatolia (where Warband Calradia was kinda maybe potentially based on) and had significant influence there such as gathering tribute from the Ottoman beylik, unlike Japan which became an actual country (rather than tiny warring states) around the 16th century iirc. Like don't get me wrong, I do like Japan and the imagery of samurai, but Japan wasn't even a thing until much later than the set timeline and not relevant until the Meiji restoration.

This is also related to another historical pet peeve of mine where people want there to be a Greece based faction; Greece wasn't a country until the 19th century (and didn't have their current borders until after WW2), the Byzantines/Romans didn't identify as Greeks despite speaking a Greek based language/dialect, they identified as Romans. I do love Greece, but adding a bronze age/classical era culture (while also having a culture that had occupied them for centuries and has been greatly influenced by them) would be very weird.
Yeah, the Temujinids expanded far and wide, that's true, but not to the point where a mono-ethnic all-Mongol khanate existed right adjacent to not-Germa-France lol so creative liberties were taken while maintaining the illusion of "authenticity" (whatever that means in this context lol) but it's ultimately a fantasy world and the Kherjits are not Mongols; they're Kherjits. The Swadians are not Franks; they're Swadians. Etc. etc. but they're intentionally designed to resemble real cultures to justify the fantasy of pop-cultural ancient heroes duking it out for international supremacy.

I have no idea what you're considering "Japan" but the brief of their history was that Emperor Taika officially established a Tang-style government around the mid 8th century and cemented into law the supremacy of his bloodline as rulers of the Japanese people, and for many centuries prior his ancestors were the god-kings of the tribes living around the modern-day Yamato Prefecture (or whatever the little area south of Kyoto's called at the moment). At least nominally, Japan was a modern-style state with an effective bureaucracy in the image of the Tang until troubles with the Emishi forced them to depend on professional hereditary warriors and said warriors came to dominate politics and, in collaboration with the nobility, gradually turned Japan into a feudal country that was only nominally a centralized/modern country. And then, as you know, imperial authority was restored during the Meiji Restoration and subsequent establishment of a parliament (or "diet") and blah, blah, blah.

I can't comment on the history of the people living in the land we presently call Greece, but the real life history is largely irrelevant for the purposes of creating a fake history to justify the existence of a fictional culture in a fantasy world. The purpose of all this historical knowledge, in this context, is purely for inspiration's sake and creating the illusion of historical authenticity for those who want to pretend to be this or that in a universe where this or that co-exist in an environment permissive of endless war.

Last edited:
I do love Greece, but adding a bronze age/classical era culture (while also having a the empire that has occupied them for centuries to a millennium and has been greatly influenced by them) would be very weird.

Good, the game needs more originality. They gave up on their ersatz-history setting in around 2016, its at that point in the screenshots that they ditch their earlier concept art and start adding straight up game of thrones and fantasy tier armour. Now I would much prefer if people could talk about the factions on their own without having to invoke the history they're vaguely based on.

They also need to delete all the factional flavour text on their website. Saying the aserai are based on "pre islamic Arabs" is just not true at all anymore.

Good, the game needs more originality. They gave up on their ersatz-history setting in around 2016, its at that point in the screenshots that they ditch their earlier concept art and start adding straight up game of thrones and fantasy tier armour. Now I would much prefer if people could talk about the factions on their own without having to invoke the history they're vaguely based on.

They also need to delete all the factional flavour text on their website. Saying the aserai are based on "pre islamic Arabs" is just not true at all anymore.
I am far too ignorant of much of the world the in-game factions are based on to tell :razz: But yes, I concur, I much prefer to treat these fantasy countries and entities unto themselves rather than invoking IRL history as if the game world is just a rebranded spin on IRL history. Better creatively and practically to just treat them as their own things.

I have no idea what you're considering "Japan" but the brief of their history was that Emperor Taika officially established a Tang-style government around the mid 8th century and cemented into law the supremacy of his bloodline as rulers of the Japanese people, and for many centuries prior his ancestors were the god-kings of the tribes living around the modern-day Yamato Prefecture (or whatever the little area south of Kyoto's called at the moment). At least nominally, Japan was a modern-style state with an effective bureaucracy in the image of the Tang until troubles with the Emishi forced them to depend on professional hereditary warriors and said warriors came to dominate politics and, in collaboration with the nobility, gradually turned Japan into a feudal country that was only nominally a centralized/modern country. And then, as you know, imperial authority was restored during the Meiji Restoration and subsequent establishment of a parliament (or "diet") and blah, blah, blah.

I can't comment on the history of the people living in the land we presently call Greece, but the real life history is largely irrelevant for the purposes of creating a fake history to justify the existence of a fictional culture in a fantasy world. The purpose of all this historical knowledge, in this context, is purely for inspiration's sake and creating the illusion of historical authenticity for those who want to pretend to be this or that in a universe where this or that co-exist in an environment permissive of endless war.
Oh really? I've always figured that the first unified Japanese state was formed after the end of the Sengoku era with Oda Nobunaga and whatnot, huh. Today I learned a new thing I guess.
Well yeah that is true, they really shouldn't have claimed to have a pre-Islamic Arab faction and then made them based primarily on North Africa & the Levant, given them Mamluk units and added Ottoman based armours. Then there's Battania which doesn't make any geographical nor timeframe sense.

Oh really? I've always figured that the first unified Japanese state was formed after the end of the Sengoku era with Oda Nobunaga and whatnot, huh. Today I learned a new thing I guess.

Well yeah that is true, they really shouldn't have claimed to have a pre-Islamic Arab faction and then made them based primarily on North Africa & the Levant, given them Mamluk units and added Ottoman based armours. Then there's Battania which doesn't make any geographical nor timeframe sense.
The mixed history/religion/mythos of Japan is that the tribe was founded by Ninigi, grandson of the Sun Goddess Amaterasu (who is in turn the daughter of the God of Creation, Izanagi, and Goddess of Decay, Izanami) and Ninigi's descendants became increasingly mortal over time due to his folly in picking a daughter of the Undersea King who was beautiful but transient rather than plain but immortal. History before the Taika Reforms is heavily mythologized but the 8th century was when they became "modern-ish" with the Emishi being the indigenous people of northeastern Japan (Tohoku) and ultimately being fully colonized when the Minamoto/Kamakura Shogunate was established around 1184 A.D.

Nobunaga Oda did lay the foundation for bringing peace to Japan after over a century of warfare, but it's a stretch to say Ieyasu Tokugawa "created Japan" when he finally finished the business in 1603 and 1615 lol. Internationally, however, Japan has had an affect on the history of the mainland but the degree is highly disputed. It's possible the House of Yamato (the Western name for their royal family) actually comes from Korea and migrated to Japan, for example, since they did have close ties with the Sila Kingdom in antiquity and Shaman Queen Himiko did send an envoy to Wei during the Three Kingdoms (early 3rd century) period of China to officially recognized Cao Rui as Yamato's overlord and open trade, etc. etc.

Battania is based on the Celts who used to inhabit Europe before they, uh, "disappeared," and since they've "disappeared" by Warband I think they fit the bill from this extremely uninformed person's perspective (I don't know much at all about ancient Europe beyond surface level knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom