What kind of armor is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not an expert, but it does look like a medieval Russian armor. I would say...14th century...late 14the century...I don't know why, but 1380 feels really right for this one, probably from the area between Moscow and Voronezh.

Just kidding.

I know its Russian but I dont know if its some kind of brigandine or maybe a type of lemellar with rivets or a scale armor with rivets. I ask beacuse I wanted to know what kind of armor this is for the longest time and its confusing me

Hmm...looks to be a variant of Kuyak, which was a russian version of brigantine. It's neither lamellar, which would be overlapping plates without leather or cloth backing, scale, in which the plates are overlapping and attached to each other as well as the backing, or coat of plates, in which plates are overlapping, attached to backing and covered by overocat.

Hope this helps...

5HMnxz7.jpg

POiyyJT.jpg

BfvkvI4.jpg

Riveted-laced scale armour. Note:
the tops are laced to backing, the centres are loosely riveted.
East-Europe, Kievan Rus and Roman (Lorica squamata & klivanion)

Riveted-Laced_Scale_Scheme.jpg

el4hfHB.jpg

xuWzLtk.jpg

klivanion or klibanion armor  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klivanion

d3wjHsw.jpg

Shingle or Brickwork Helmet

5CO9XPw.jpg

Manuscript Miniatures, linked to different sources,
including different forms of scale based armor sets

:arrow: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/search/?tags=%22scale%22

It's sometimes refered to as Tegulated armor by the controversial Samuel Rush Meyrick.
Often mistaken for in Norman tapestries, but is more clearly evident in later 13th to early 15th
century artwork and findings. by then its often described as Shingle or Brickwork, scale armor.

Costume in England : a history of dress from the earliest period
till the close of the eighteenth century. Fairholt, F. W., 1814-1866

uMWoyEH.png

Usually overlaping square shaped scales that are attached from above.
Its still basically just scale armor thou, and it doesn't have to be riveted loosely from
the middle all the time. Mostly used by infantry, sometimes worn by knights, though not
as common as brigandine and plate breastplates, which offered better protection.

types of scale armor lacing

Exemple_de_lacage_De_Cataphracte.JPG

lammelar laced from the sides

Lamellar_lacing.gif

late riveted scale armor

Riveted-Laced_Scale_Scheme.jpg

xuWzLtk.jpg

examples without rivets

el4hfHB.jpg

"Kulikovo Field" Museum, 14th century reconstructions, 
Left: Golden horde, eastern style brigandine
Right: Russian scale armor, partially riveted

poRUidi.jpg

Adorno said:
Looks like Medieval Rus armour. A combination of lamellar and chain mail.

It's a scale armor, not lamellar. And it indeed is Russian one. About 12-14ct I guess.

Scale is when plates are fastened on to some backing, often leather or textile. Lamellar is when plates are fastened to each other by a cords without any backing.

Back
Top Bottom