What is the purpose of having a Spouse?

Users who are viewing this thread

AngryPanCake

Sergeant
Hello,
I just watched a relatively recent Youtube video listing the best potential spouses in the game. It went on showing how many and what skills they had and said so and so would be the best wife to have if you are Aserai, this one if you are Imperial...etc.

My question is how does a spouse affect your clan/kingdom?

This is what I have found out so far and please correct me or enlighten me as I am relatively new to the game, compared to the ones that have been playing since Warband came out 50 years ago.
So, my thought process was: MC is Imperial and planned to conquer some Sturgian fiefs. He decided to take on a Sturgian spouse to be the governor of the first fief in order to reduce Loyalty penalty since the governor is going to be the same culture as the conquered fief.
So now that she is the governor, what else does the Sturgian spouse bring into the Clan beside reducing the loyalty penalty for that single fief?
Once the MC (Imperial) decide to found his own Kingdom and is asked by his Sturgian spouse about the culture of the said Kingdom and the decision is made to be Imperial as the MC is planning in conquering all of the Empire, what's the benefit of having the Sturgian spouse?

The guy on Youtube was saying even though Rhagea doesn't have as many skills/perks as some of the other nobles, she would be a valuable spouse as she is the Southern Empire's queen. But he did not say how she would be useful.
If you did marry Rhagea and then she dies, do you become the king of the Southern Empire?
If you do marry the daughter of a clan leader who does not have any male heirs and he dies, do you become that clan leader or is it reassigned to another noble from that faction?

Thank you,
APC

From what I have experienced, if you're in a kingdom, and the leader dies, you're going to be voted leader, no matter who you're married to.

Last I checked you couldn't marry kingdom/clan leaders, you could only marry your siblings/kids to them, and they leave your clan.

Don't forget marriage provides an instant relations bonus with the clan they come for... making them easier to recruit into your kingdom and less likely to raid your lands if not.

Other than that, the benefits of a spouse are practical. They make babies, they lead parties/caravans, they take on roles in your party, they provide quick early game access to equipment that might not yet be in the stores... the usual..

For instance, if you are an independent clan leader and marry Rhagea and she dies, do you become the new leader for Rhagea's vacant clan?

Is that the video which was also shared by the official taleworlds Twitter account? Counting Rhagea and Mesui as potential wives... I'd like the community manager to show us how it's possible because currently in the game they've been developing, you can not marry clan leaders.

Yeah, this is the one. It is not correct. Well, such things happen if you don't play the game you make a living of.

From what I have experienced, if you're in a kingdom, and the leader dies, you're going to be voted leader, no matter who you're married to.
Yes this definitely seems to be the case now. Seems a bit strange, you'd think the next most influential/rich clan would get picked. Think this is all part of TW's effort to steer people more to joining an existing Kingdom.

Creating your own Kingdom is not something you want new players trying, since they probably won't have the know-how to pull it off.

Last I checked you couldn't marry kingdom/clan leaders, you could only marry your siblings/kids to them, and they leave your clan.
Yep. The player character is doomed to always have to settle simping for Rhaghea or any other Clan Leader for that matter.

Don't forget marriage provides an instant relations bonus with the clan they come for... making them easier to recruit into your kingdom and less likely to raid your lands if not.

Other than that, the benefits of a spouse are practical. They make babies, they lead parties/caravans, they take on roles in your party, they provide quick early game access to equipment that might not yet be in the stores... the usual..
Yeah the main reason to get married is have another Companion and have children, i.e. if you intend to play a campaign for a very long time then you'll have heirs. Might also be useful if it ever ends up your PC can die in battle (it may be possible now - but it's extremely rare), currently seems like you only die from old age. Also a lot of Nobles have pretty good skills, so they do make excellent companions. You're limited on Companions, but there's no limit on family members. Sons are good since they will always stay in your Clan and can be used as Party Leaders/Governors and contribute to the Clan dynasty. Daughters aren't bad, but when they get married you lose them - so it can hurt you long term if you have all daughters.

BUT marrying your daughters can get you some money and positive relation gains, so there's some benefit if you take a "meta" perspective to things with them.

Children can be really beneficial as future Governors, well so can a Spouse obviously. If a lot of your fiefs belong to a foreign culture it may be in your best to marry someone of that culture, otherwise you're gonna need Companions of that culture to keep Towns under control.

Something the game fails to mention is that Children will always be the culture of their mother. So if you're playing a male Imperial, but marry a Battanian woman all your kids are going to be Battanians.

The advantage/disadvantage of playing a female character is your children will be whatever culture you are. So if most of your fiefs belong to your culture that'll be good, if not... well not so much.

It doesn't really matter that much since conquering Calradia is doable in a single lifetime if you start the game at 20. Also don't think most people have the patience to stick with a single character that long (I generally don't). But if you really want to do a "dynasty" playthrough, you can. Also children make it possible for you to effectively try a different character setup - if you're willing to wait long enough for your 1st character to die LOL.

Yes this definitely seems to be the case now. Seems a bit strange, you'd think the next most influential/rich clan would get picked. Think this is all part of TW's effort to steer people more to joining an existing Kingdom.
I've never not been the most influential person in the kingdom. I don't even know how I could avoid it. The player can bang together a great warband and run around slaughtering enemy warbands and conquering weakly defended towns. There's not really anything else to do, so I do that. By the time my faction leader dies I've got kings and queens standing in line for my autograph.

Something the game fails to mention is that Children will always be the culture of their mother. So if you're playing a male Imperial, but marry a Battanian woman all your kids are going to be Battanians.
Well, that throws a wrench into the works!!!
MC is Imperial, started by capturing a couple Sturgian fiefs (a town and a castle), married a Sturgian to govern the town and then the Northern Empire declared war! So MC took a whole bunch of Northern Imperial fiefs and started his own Kingdom and chose Empire as culture.

With what you just said, all the descendants are going to be Sturgian because of the spouse despite selecting Imperial culture!
That really messes up my plans!!!

I've never not been the most influential person in the kingdom. I don't even know how I could avoid it. The player can bang together a great warband and run around slaughtering enemy warbands and conquering weakly defended towns. There's not really anything else to do, so I do that. By the time my faction leader dies I've got kings and queens standing in line for my autograph.
Well in my case, I had literally been a vassal with the NE for 2-3 game years, I had maybe 1-2K of Influence. So I was literally more or less still a nobody, I just headcanon'd it as all the other Clans distrusted each other - so everyone voted for the new guy.

I mean yeah the PC is usually the "rock star" of an faction since the A.I. is fairly inept at making any actual kind of progress most of the time.

I do hope they let you marry Companions someday, at least the PC. Then you can truly create your own dynasty/kingdom. Well Companions in general need to be fleshed out more, they truly are just bots ATM.

Well, that throws a wrench into the works!!!
MC is Imperial, started by capturing a couple Sturgian fiefs (a town and a castle), married a Sturgian to govern the town and then the Northern Empire declared war! So MC took a whole bunch of Northern Imperial fiefs and started his own Kingdom and chose Empire as culture.

With what you just said, all the descendants are going to be Sturgian because of the spouse despite selecting Imperial culture!
That really messes up my plans!!!
Yep.

It's a problem with the A.I. too. You'll basically end up with Clans that are no longer their Kingdom's Culture. So you'll end up with lots of poorly managed Castles and Towns due to poor Loyalty. Granted Rebels sort of help balance that out by creating new Culture appropriate Clans I guess, but Rebels rarely spawn females so that doesn't really help in the long run either.

Personally think the A.I. should try harder to marry Sons & Daughters to Nobles of their own Kingdom. Really should only marry outside a Kingdom if there's no "singles" left. I sort of feel whatever Clan a chracter is born to, they should really be that Culture - that would make sense.

I guess as is somewhat empower female Nobles, but then again you're basically left to assume if the game runs long enough everyone would likely end up "Imperial". I honestly do think you should be able to convert a Town/Castle to a new Culture if that's the case (it'd be nice if you could change appearence, but I'm guessing that's beyond TW's ability). Obviously it should be a very slow process, like something that would take decades. Suppose real question is should troop types and all that change?

1 your spouse is a clan member that doesn't use up a hired wanderer spot. They can lead a party, be set as captain, set as clan role or a governor. If you look in the encyclopedia you can see what I high skill each npcs has, many are much better the hired wanderers.

2 You can take you spouses equipment, many have very good items and getting them early can help you a lot. I use them in live combat but many players will sell them for a jump start in funds. You can also get you spouses kill and then marry again and get another gear set, however with current low death rate in battle it not a viable. I had trick to get them captured by surrendering to a garrison and killing them in the a prison break (poisoners die 100% to non blunt damage, because of bug) but you can no longer leave merc contract while a prisoner so it doesn't work easy enough now. You can do it normally but I wouldn't waste time on it now. This is only worth it if it's opportunistic or fast, otherwise just win battles all day everyday

3 A spouse will let you create children (usually) who also become clan members in 18 year and re-populate the game as characters die. Players usually intend to take over as a adult child if they play long enough for their first character to die of old age. The amount of game where that happens.... probably like 1/50

Once the MC (Imperial) decide to found his own Kingdom and is asked by his Sturgian spouse about the culture of the said Kingdom and the decision is made to be Imperial as the MC is planning in conquering all of the Empire, what's the benefit of having the Sturgian spouse?
The same benefit, sturgian fiefs you own are still sturgian. However you can pass several +loyalty policies and not worry about that part of setting a governor.
The guy on Youtube was saying even though Rhagea doesn't have as many skills/perks as some of the other nobles, she would be a valuable spouse as she is the Southern Empire's queen. But he did not say how she would be useful.
What guy on YouTube said that? They're just making slash fic or something. If you could marry her she would just be a barren wife with average stats in your clan. Dynasty only exists for the players own faction, any other ruler dies they just elect a new clan to rule.
So, it looks like a plan needs to be devised as to how to get rid of the Sturgian spouse and remarry!
Any tricks?
Turn off you medic and shoot her in head every battle for a low low 2%(or less) chance, with a medic it's probably sub 1% chance. Or, if she gets imprisoned you can kill he easily in the prison break by throwing knives into head. There was nifty trick I had( see spoiler above) but TW broke it!
However you could still do something like put her in a min power party right around enemies so she gets defeated and captured, then prisoner break her out and kill her as stated during the break. This of course requires some luck and re-loads and the enemy can be really annoying about NOT dropping of prisoners when you want them to or making peace, getting defeated or other problems. But you can do it.

@Ananda_The_Destroyer
Thank you for the detailed info. You may be right and thanks to Policies, I may not have to worry about settlement culture penalty.
As you said bout prison breaks, it was the first thing I thought about, let her get captured, then try to break her out and let the guards do her in. But if the death chance is that low, then it's just not worth the load/reload thing!

@Ananda_The_Destroyer
Thank you for the detailed info. You may be right and thanks to Policies, I may not have to worry about settlement culture penalty.
As you said bout prison breaks, it was the first thing I thought about, let her get captured, then try to break her out and let the guards do her in. But if the death chance is that low, then it's just not worth the load/reload thing!
No no no, you didn't read the spoiler info, in the prison break there is 100% chance of death (to non-blunt), it's probably a bug (though the bear wouldn't confirm it) but it's been around a few versions now.

No no no, you didn't read the spoiler info, in the prison break there is 100% chance of death (to non-blunt), it's probably a bug (though the bear wouldn't confirm it) but it's been around a few versions now.
Hmmm. That explains everything. I thought I was so unlucky that every character died during my failed prison break. Now it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom