What is the probability for lords and ladies to die in battle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lesbosisles

Knight at Arms
Greetings, everyone!

I've heard that recently devs have decreased the probability for nobles to die in battle. As far as I remember, it was 10% and happened only when the player is involved in a battle - they never died in auto-calculations or in battles NPC vs. NPC.

Right now, in 1.5.3 nobles seem to be immortal again. Do they actually die in battle right now? If devs decreased the probability from 10%, which is not very high, taking into account all other terms for nobles to die, what is that % right now?

That's a good question and if they made changes I'd like to know. One thing I think has changed though when a spouse dies in battle they don't get removed from you party until the battle is ended, if you retreat and look at inventory they still seem to be okay, but when you get the "enemies are fleeing" message you will also get the "so and so has died in battle". I think it could be same for enemy lords to and maybe to stop some bugs from when they die. Idduno.

Greetings, everyone!

I've heard that recently devs have decreased the probability for nobles to die in battle. As far as I remember, it was 10% and happened only when the player is involved in a battle - they never died in auto-calculations or in battles NPC vs. NPC.

Right now, in 1.5.3 nobles seem to be immortal again. Do they actually die in battle right now? If devs decreased the probability from 10%, which is not very high, taking into account all other terms for nobles to die, what is that % right now?
Yes I killed a Sturgia lord last night with a lance to the head, but it does seem like the probability of death is lower. I have mixed feelings about it because I rather enjoyed taking out lords but I also had 2 companions die in 1 battle a couple weeks ago. :???:

Greetings, everyone!

I cant speak to 1.5.2, but they do die both of old age and in battle in 1.5.2. The chances do seem to be lower, but it is difficult to tell.

I compared the GetSurvivalChance() method in DefaultPartyHealingModel and checked where it was used in 1.5.2 and 1.5.3. No change, iirc these look the same as when death was enabled some patches ago. The factors that influence survival chance is the survival bonus from the characters party, the survival bonus from the enemy party if it has the doctors oath perk, character level and if the hero has the perk fortitude tonic.

EDIT: had an image from earlier dlls, not sure what version but it's identical in 1.5.2/3
Screenshot-163.png

GetSurvivalChance is used to determine if a hero is wounded or killed in a played battle.
In simulated battles heroes cannot die, they only get wounded ( ApplySimulationDamageToSelectedTroop() in MapEventSide ).

If heroes are dying less now it's not due to code changes, likely some of the factors have been adjusted.

Last edited:
This game was build with immortal characters in mind since start. Permadeath simply does not fit with core game mechanics well and cause imbalance problems. Which is why devs are changing it.

I don't think nobles should die in battle at all. 10% chance to die is not realistic anyway, so if permadeath does not add realism in to the game, what purpose does it have? Apart of causing heap of balancing problems.

Greetings, everyone!

Are you sure it changed? I didn't see anywhere that they lower it... But, I hope not... The family dynasty system is one of the best features they made so far. If so, I'd like some ppl used to mod, tell me where i can chnage back or increase %

Are you sure it changed? I didn't see anywhere that they lower it... But, I hope not... The family dynasty system is one of the best features they made so far. If so, I'd like some ppl used to mod, tell me where i can chnage back or increase %
Nah, I'm not sure, someone's told that devs changed it, but in my new playthrough it is nearly impossible to kill a lord or a lady - they always get wounded. Irritating.

Because afaik the only time lords and companions can die in battle is when they are in your active battle not in auto resolve.
Afayk?
GetSurvivalChance is used to determine if a hero is wounded or killed in a played battle.
In simulated battles heroes cannot die, they only get wounded ( ApplySimulationDamageToSelectedTroop() in MapEventSide ).
Only battles the player actually plays can kill heroes, simulated (auto resolve/send troops, npc vs npc etc.) battles cannot kill heroes.

Is that from old age or in battle? Because afaik the only time lords and companions can die in battle is when they are in your active battle not in auto resolve.
From Battle. I pretty much never auto resolve and fight them all so perhaps that's whey I lose so many.

Another factor I've noticed is when they lead formations in an army. I will have a companion's party in my army so he gets a group to command. If he gets the infantry he is going to be hanging around with them and will die in any battle where I don't heavily outnumber them. This counts for Friendly lords that are in my army as well.

I've started keeping the Companions in my party with my archers in a bid to stop them dying so much.

I'd say that on big army v army battles where there are 10-15 lords then at least one or two will die per battle (can always tell as their party spawns leaderless afterwards).

Just got one of my companions killed in battle. In 4 in-game years, this is the first character who died on the battlefield

Nah, I'm not sure, someone's told that devs changed it, but in my new playthrough it is nearly impossible to kill a lord or a lady - they always get wounded. Irritating.
I see.... Well, in my gameplay wasn't common people die in battle in huge battles 1 to 3 lords fallen in battle was the norm in a battle of more than 6 vs 6 lords. So, I think fallen in battle was never that high...

Perharps where you saw was a confusion between Dev diaries/blogs, no? I remmeber i saw something like that on CK3 changelogs, maybe was a misundertood of games.

Perharps it's a bug that appeared? Maybe try ask some of the Devs or someone from TW who knows the responsible for it?

Have a nice day

Personally i want a system where lords or any hero character can only fall in battle from other hero characters, you'll reach 1 hp and not be able to attack and just walk around or try to retreat (for AIs) and only a lord can come in (they'll have priority to want to) and drop you, possibly killing in the process maybe 10% chance or something. I'd hate to have companions just die to looters/bandits but also i want there to be some reduction in number of lords due to battle deaths.

Interesting fact - the death notifications are no longer shown during the battle. They are only shown AFTER the battle. On the one hand, it is good, since you can look through the log and see who's died in this battle. From the other hand, it removes the satisfaction from understanding that you personally killed the lord/lady (well, maybe it's just personal :grin:). I wonder if it's a bug or a feature?

Interesting fact - the death notifications are no longer shown during the battle. They are only shown AFTER the battle. On the one hand, it is good, since you can look through the log and see who's died in this battle. From the other hand, it removes the satisfaction from understanding that you personally killed the lord/lady (well, maybe it's just personal :grin:). I wonder if it's a bug or a feature?

I hope it is a feature: it was really easy to miss the notification that a companion had died while you were in battle.

I tolded you this like 4 days ago :razz:
That's a good question and if they made changes I'd like to know. One thing I think has changed though when a spouse dies in battle they don't get removed from you party until the battle is ended, if you retreat and look at inventory they still seem to be okay, but when you get the "enemies are fleeing" message you will also get the "so and so has died in battle". I think it could be same for enemy lords to and maybe to stop some bugs from when they die. Idduno.
I think it came along with there fix to some bug/crash related to lord dying
You'll still see the red skull when they die so you'll know if it was your kill :smile:

Back
Top Bottom