What is the point of Tactics besides autoresolve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaf

Recruit
I can understand exactly what every skill in the game does. For some reason people value tactics a lot but I can't figure out why. What benefit does it give you besides auto resolve stuff.

I thought "simulated battles" meant actual battles that you partake in and not auto resolved ones. In any case, Tactics seems to only help in simulated battles and so I thought it had no effect on auto resolved battles.

That seems like a odd way to think of it. Simulated sounds way more like what happens when you aren't their to control things.

I thought "simulated battles" meant actual battles that you partake in and not auto resolved ones. In any case, Tactics seems to only help in simulated battles and so I thought it had no effect on auto resolved battles.

Nope, other way around. "Simulated" = "auto-calc".

Fwiw, auto-calc battles seem to distribute XP differently. I typically get a lot more troop promotions out of auto-calcs than regular battles. If the primary object of a particular fight is to train up some recruits, auto-calc is useful. Especially since there's so little passive XP gain out of combat like the old Trainer skill in WB. So auto-calc battles arguably have a bigger role than they did before (at least in the game's current EA state).

That said, yeah, I'm skeptical that Tactics is worth sinking a lot of Focus/Attribute points into.

Are you serious? Have they made a skill that encourages auto resolved battles? What the hell?
It's actually a useful tool. It means you can roam and get troop exp easily without having to fight all the battles yourself when you get to higher levels. After a while killing 45 looters is not that fun. It means you can skip this and concentrate on the fun stuff like killing lords and sieges.

It's actually a useful tool. It means you can roam and get troop exp easily without having to fight all the battles yourself when you get to higher levels. After a while killing 45 looters is not that fun. It means you can skip this and concentrate on the fun stuff like killing lords and sieges.
Hm... Maybe I should revise the suggestion I just made in the suggestions thread. I might have been too quick on the trigger. I was a little shocked is all. I believe I called it an "abomination".

Still, I'm not so sure there should be a skill that improves auto-resolve. Couldn't you do the same without the skill? Get xp from auto-resolved fights with looters?

Last edited:
Hm... Maybe I should revise the suggestion I just made in the suggestions thread. I might have been to quick on the trigger. I was a little shocked is all. I believe I called it an "abomination".

Still, I'm not so sure there should be a skill that improves auto-resolve. Couldn't you do the same without the skill? Get xp from auto-resolved fights with looters?
You could yes. But at the start of the game you can only sim vs looters without heavy losses. But if you get further on and get tactics up you can start to sim vs bandits too, then caravans etc. This means you only have to really fight the most interesting battles you are capable of at each stage. This could all be integrated into code I guess but it gives you a choice whether you want the ability to sim well or not. Trust me after a long time playing you will not want to actually enter every battle.

Some of the tactics unlocks are actually fun and useful like being able to place troops before battles (doesnt work atm) and increasing damage infantry>cav & cav>arch.

Btw you can also level tactics by winning difficult battles where you are against the odds (shield wall is your friend for these), and also by escaping from battles, so it doesn't all have to be from simulating if you don't like that aspect.

Nope, other way around. "Simulated" = "auto-calc".

Fwiw, auto-calc battles seem to distribute XP differently. I typically get a lot more troop promotions out of auto-calcs than regular battles. If the primary object of a particular fight is to train up some recruits, auto-calc is useful. Especially since there's so little passive XP gain out of combat like the old Trainer skill in WB. So auto-calc battles arguably have a bigger role than they did before (at least in the game's current EA state).

That said, yeah, I'm skeptical that Tactics is worth sinking a lot of Focus/Attribute points into.

It is true that auto-calc battles provides more troops promotions. More death also.
I think that when real battles occurs, best troops do the job. No death, no XP because they are already high.
With auto-calc, everyone participate, so lameasses that would be on the back row get XP or die.

Hm... Maybe I should revise the suggestion I just made in the suggestions thread. I might have been to quick on the trigger. I was a little shocked is all. I believe I called it an "abomination".

To me it makes sense. Autocalc is for battles that you could win relatively easily, and that you might not necessarily want to take the time fighting. For these battles with higher Tactics you get better results (which helps training lower level troops faster etc.). For the more challenging battles that actually make the game interesting you wouldn't really want to use autocalc even with the bonus, so it doesn't take away much from the game I think.

You definitely can level tactics while fighting battles as well though. What I've noticed is that I get tactics exp for all the enemies my troops kill. Like, the better you fight tactically, the more enemies your troops will beat for you. But I think that "simulated battles" goes battles you're fighting. Since the whole game is a simulation. More likely it's just a translation thing.

You definitely can level tactics while fighting battles as well though. What I've noticed is that I get tactics exp for all the enemies my troops kill. Like, the better you fight tactically, the more enemies your troops will beat for you. But I think that "simulated battles" goes battles you're fighting. Since the whole game is a simulation. More likely it's just a translation thing.
Yes, "simulated battles" should obviously rather be used to refer to battles you take part in as those are simulated whereas auto-resolved battles are not. This is so strange.

or simply fighting a battle where the odds are agaisnt you. and by odds are ahainst you I mean 60 elite cataphracts vs 100 looters

Yes, "simulated battles" should obviously rather be used to refer to battles you take part in as those are simulated whereas auto-resolved battles are not. This is so strange.
i and im pretty sure most other people agree with TW that ''simulated'' means battle without player interaction granted i think it should just be called auto resolve but still i dont getwhy would think it was the other way around

Because if it just said "battles" people would rightly assume the perks only affect actual battles fought in the real world by your actual classical age troops that you clearly have command of. In reality. Obviously. Please, try and keep up.

Back
Top Bottom