What is the one thing you're waiting for before doing another serious playthrough of Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

As for the thread - the battle terrain system. This is an absolute game changer and it's crazy how little discussion this is getting.
I don't understand why this is a game changer. Unless they will add some stratigeic properties to this system that can be realized on the campaign map such as attrition and supply line, I think this is just a expansion from what we already have - battle maps. Yeah, it will mostly likely give more varieties, but I won't call THIS a game changer.

I don't understand why this is a game changer. Unless they will add some stratigeic properties to this system that can be realized on the campaign map such as attrition and supply line, I think this is just a expansion from what we already have - battle maps. Yeah, it will mostly likely give more varieties, but I won't call THIS a game changer.
Well, modders will probably find ways of using this system that TW would never even consider. So I get what he means.

Effectively we will see all of Calradia modelled to scale inside the battle maps. In theory you could patch all the game maps, the cities map and village maps together and create an entire game world.

Obviously it is not quite as simple as that; but the sheer scale is insane. Let us consider the size of just one of the maps shown;

3nDf3U6.jpg

This isn't even the whole region; there is clearly more behind the camera and presumably the battle map extends beyond each bridge just as the land mass does on the campaign -

ogx61F1.jpg

What this means is we are looking at a game world in some degrees larger then anything produced in a Bethesda game or similar title. Now consider what modders can do with this? The entire world of middle earth, westeros, the old world modelled in-game. My only concern is that Modders won't be able to use this system to it's full potential just due to time!

Even Resonant - a notoriously harsh Critic of bannerlord is excited by this system.

37jo10O.png

What this means is we are looking at a game world in some degrees larger then anything produced in a Bethesda game or similar title. Now consider what modders can do with this? The entire world of middle earth, westeros, the old world modelled in-game. My only concern is that Modders won't be able to use this system to it's full potential just due to time!
Modders could do this even without Taleworlds doing it, though it's easier to start with a working system of regions and dynamic spawn points and mod it.
The main problem here is that there are bazillion maps that need to be made and it's questionable when if ever TW can accomplish this. The same applies for modders using similar region granularity. There are just too many damn regions.
When Taleworlds starts delivering and we can gauge their map-making rate, then we'll know whether this feature is feasible at all.
It's possible that this whole idea came about just because the TW sceners ran out of work long before the tentative release date, so they think they have time for huge projects like this.

I like your points except the tarvern one, since currently we really don't have much reason to go tarvern. So give tarvern more functionality should be done before make tarvern diverse.
My priority would be
  • clan/kingdom system rework(at least create more than 2 federal hierachy, so that the saying'vassal of a vassal is not my vassal' can possibly be simulated)
  • economy/production/workshop system reworked(Currently war has nearly no negative on economy of wining lords, which is not realisitc, and I believe the reason is behind economy/production system, I have tried to expain this idea in this thread)
  • quality of life change for trade(something resemble The Patrician series, really help improve quality of life during trade, and make gameplay as a trader become possible).
  • and a very simple change, make the final perk of trade become basic ability of lords! Why do I need to learn trade before using fief for negotiation? Just weird. This makes game annoying(when you have spare fief and you want to invite a family to your kingdom), and is not realistic(like in what kind of country will let someone major in trading to dominate a negotiation involving territory change? Isn't it suppsoed to be job of diplomats? Also, why do I even need perk to sell what I have?)

As for your second point,
Villages to have more reason to exist - again added functionality
Though I agree with you, and have discussed some suggestions in this thread earlier, unfortunately, I finally found this will never become true.
Refer to pre-EA dev diaries Questions from the Community 6 Sep 2018
The solution was changing the status of villages so that they would no longer be considered independent fiefs but were always attached to a castle or town. This removed the necessity to have a management screen for villages and simplified and streamlined the system. The aesthetics of our new villages is also much more pleasing.
and Settlement Projects 6 Dec 2018
With the massive increase in settlements that we have in Bannerlord, we felt that having to micromanage settlements all the way down to the village level would, over time (as your territory grows), become overbearing and tiresome to manage.
I don't fking understand reasoning behind all these, but that's what have been told by TW.
I did not said I am happy with game overall, I try to be happy otherwise being always upset / worried reduces your effectiveness. Game has more potential of course and I accept game has missing features and cannot use its potential fully. I also said I prefer older design which has better village management (if that selection was chosed game could be a 95+% rating game but it was a risky design and need more / better workpower to implement. Also that design was mine why I prefer a new design? But one day that design is scrapped (we did this giving up / changing idea thing lots of time during early-mid development) and we moved on with new design. What can you do in this scenario as a dev? I have no control over these main decisions. So if you cannot change these main decisions (skeleton of game) what you can do is trying to make selected design as good as possible. Actually you can clearly see sometimes I am complaining about something like you but trying to improve game in given limits.

About console thing it is not my decision too but have to do some optimization and spend 1-2 weeks at January because it is also wanted and it is reasonable too. This game will be released at also consoles one day. Again underlying I prefer spending time on improving game until PC version is nearly finished. You should understand we are only doing what is decided mostly.

Let's not forget - Vanilla Warband didn't even have battle continuation after knockout.

There is a lot of rose tinted glasses about vanilla warband. God I loved it; but it was a very simple game. Mods made Warband playable for a decade; I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As for the thread - the battle terrain system. This is an absolute game changer and it's crazy how little discussion this is getting.
Just curious, how did battle terrain of Warband work? Originally I thought rather than selecting map from a pre-defined set, there is an algorithm to generate battle map refer to specific location of campaign map. But refer to what we have in Bannerlord, I doubt if that thought is resulted from a very large pre-defined map set.

Last edited:
Modders could do this even without Taleworlds doing it, though it's easier to start with a working system of regions and dynamic spawn points and mod it.
The main problem here is that there are bazillion maps that need to be made and it's questionable when if ever TW can accomplish this. The same applies for modders using similar region granularity. There are just too many damn regions.
When Taleworlds starts delivering and we can gauge their map-making rate, then we'll know whether this feature is feasible at all.
It's possible that this whole idea came about just because the TW sceners ran out of work long before the tentative release date, so they think they have time for huge projects like this.
I personally think this system only works if every map is created at launch; and I feel this what Taleworlds were suggesting. Compared to what they say on the forums; the dev-blogs only show features that are near to completion.

I am willing to be proved wrong but I believe that this system will launch relatively soon - and will be near complete at launch.

I personally think this system only works if every map is created at launch; and I feel this what Taleworlds were suggesting. Compared to what they say on the forums; the dev-blogs only show features that are near to completion.

I am willing to be proved wrong but I believe that this system will launch relatively soon - and will be near complete at launch.
I'll eat my virtual hat if they have any significant number of maps ready in the next few patches. I hope you have your hat ready as well, and will stock up on condiments.
A temporary hybrid system may easily work, regional maps for regions when they are complete, regular terrain maps for other regions.

Just curious, how did battle terrain of Warband work? Originally I thought rather than selecting map from a pre-defined set, there is an algorithm to generate battle map refer to specific location of campaign map. But refer to what we have in Bannerlord, I doubt if that thought is resulted from a very large pre-defined map set.
It generated a map from one of a few terrain types. Snow, Forest, Plains, Steppes, Desert etc. Though largely they were all the same - just different textures.

Bannerlord currently uses a system similar to total war. It has a pool of maps for each terrain type and it picks one at random when fighting a battle on that terrain.

I'm waiting for:
-Better performance and stability.
-Better siege/combat AI.
-Better diplomacy.
-Sandbox mode without nightmare-inducing siblings that look like lovecraftian horrors.
-A lot more quests, variety in writing and... better writing overall.
-Better looking tavern wenches (this is vital to my enjoyment of the game, of course.)

The total lack of diplomacy and the artificial, invisible/disconnected feeling of war and peace declarations and faction relations is the biggest downer in the campaign for me. Just the basic ability to engage in negotiations like bartering over peace, non-aggression pacts or tributes, paying kingdoms to join your a war on your side, AI being able to make proposals, some sort of kingdom relationship points system. At present there's basically only total war or temporary truce.

Back
Top Bottom