What is the one thing you're waiting for before doing another serious playthrough of Bannerlord?

Users who are viewing this thread

There's also a misconception that if people work on something, they don't work on something else. Taleworlds devs are organized in teams and it seems they don't do each other's work. A person responsible for a siege map navmesh or formation AI won't be assigned to board games.
But do you really think there is this dedicated board games guy or even team? Like they did not much else than those board games? I hope not :grin:

Id much prefer darts as it at least somewhat similar to archery and requires hand eye coordination. I like Chess IRL but just looking at that board of whatever it is in Bannerlord causes dread and i actually resent it. Its so fricken bland looking and you know it also gives the game designers an "out" - "we gave you a fun thing to do in taverns/towns" -That aint fun. Now had they added the belligerent drunk it be a little better -rather than you just walking in and it immediately starting a fight -how bout your playin a game and a drunk keeps stumbling into you and your table scattering the pieces or messing up your dart throw -that would be a far more interesting reason to fight and shouldnt be that hard to incorporate.

But alas..

But do you really think there is this dedicated board games guy or even team? Like they did not much else than those board games? I hope not :grin:
I think board games belong to the "gameplay" team, so more board games = less quests. :ohdear:
Now had they added the belligerent drunk it be a little better -rather than you just walking in and it immediately starting a fight -how bout your playin a game and a drunk keeps stumbling into you and your table scattering the pieces or messing up your dart throw -that would be a far more interesting reason to fight and shouldnt be that hard to incorporate.
This is an excellent idea. It looks like trolling, which just makes it better and it has that Youtuber "omg look at dis" potential.

Id much prefer darts as it at least somewhat similar to archery and requires hand eye coordination. I like Chess IRL but just looking at that board of whatever it is in
For chess you also need an at least "semi good" AI otherwise it doesn´t make sense. I don´t know how hard it is to code a chess AI but I know how good TWs AI in general is so.....

I like the idea of an archery competition though, but still this shouldn´t be the focus of TW right now.

Because I don´t care about board games that much I don´t play them. The exception is the inn and out quest, and the AI in this quest is braindead (empire board game). So it´s not even close to beeing fun.

- Better campaign AI - Which cities and castles to attack/defend
- Better combat AI - AI is completely useless as it has no idea what tactics is and is happy with skirmishing entire armies against enemy armies and therefore losing battles they should easily win
- Better kingdom decision AI - When to declare war / make peace / which policies to implement
- Peace AI - Lords and ladies needs to have feasts, do quests and have other things to do during peace time. Some factions are making almost no babies and just keep dying off because of constant wars
- Diplomacy - It is completely missing and there should be at least some basic things here
- Smithing that isn't broken -
- Companions that aren't broken - Today they spawn with weird skills and attribute distribution and are next to useless
- Deaths - Completely broken as you de-populate your own faction unless you auto-calc combat
- Sieges that are fun and and doesn't end in 30 - 60 seconds
- Siege AI that isn't broken - AI never use siege ladders / towers as they should. They don't care about opening main gates nearly as much as they should (attacking AI simply let defending AI to squeeze through their lines and close gates and then never open it again)

There are plenty more things to write, but these are maybe my biggest offenders I think

Not many, but if you look at people's fondest memories, it's about just driving around the countryside and listening to their favorite radio and the excellent soundtrack. Those memories are not about shooting or robbing or car chases, which is supposed to be the real game, it's about a moment they felt they were really there.
There's also a misconception that if people work on something, they don't work on something else. Taleworlds devs are organized in teams and it seems they don't do each other's work. A person responsible for a siege map navmesh or formation AI won't be assigned to board games.
Let me clarify, I'm not saying that I am against features that build immersion, quite the opposite. Prioritization is my issue. I feel like the person who worked on board games definitely doesn't only work on board games. Which means they'd be working on something else on that list of things I said. That's all. I do absolutely agree that side activities build value in a game, but the core is why everyone's here and badly needs work. I should stop talking about this now.

It's a bit hard to be precise for me, but I'm waiting for the game to get a sense of "somewhat finished". TW being so silent makes it rather pointless to give feedback, as I never know if the feedback I give is useless (because it's SUPPOSED to work like that) or not.
When it feels like the game just need to be polished and is not under the "we're still implementing the basic systems", I guess I'll play again.

Only hope is that when they leave it, that there is enough foundation for modders to work with.
Let's not forget - Vanilla Warband didn't even have battle continuation after knockout.

There is a lot of rose tinted glasses about vanilla warband. God I loved it; but it was a very simple game. Mods made Warband playable for a decade; I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As for the thread - the battle terrain system. This is an absolute game changer and it's crazy how little discussion this is getting.

Let´s also not forget that Vanilla Warband is over 10 ****ing years old....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
.... Exactly. Thanks for... agreeing with me...? :confused:

Mods made a 10 year old game great... why are we concerned about mods for a 1 year old game which already look phenomenal.

.... Exactly. Thanks for... agreeing with me...? :confused:

Mods made a 10 year old game great... why are we concerned about mods for a 1 year old game which already look phenomenal.

I´m concerned that many often requested Warband mod features aren´t and won´t ever be in Vanilla Bannerlord.

And I don´t like this "mod will fix this" attitude. You can´t develope a game and rely on modders to fix / add every damn thing...that´s just wrong.

Last edited:
I´m concerned that many often requested Warband mod features aren´t and won´t ever be in Bannerlord.

And I don´t like this "mod will fix this" attitude". You can´t develope a game and rely on modders to fix / add every damn thing...that´s just wrong.
Precisely. But you also can't say Bannerlord has to compete with the modding community. Warband was blessed by having an amazing modding community - bannerlord will to. The only comparisons that should be made are Vanilla Warband and Vanilla Bannerlord - in which case there are still things missing.

I was responding to Wolfsblut concern that there wouldn't be enough foundation to build mods on. Basically in summary: there is nothing to worry about there. If people can make amazing mods on Warband; they can/have done the same on bannerlord. Worry about vanilla if anything.

Last edited:
Warband was a very simple game.
Yet somehow, Bannerlord has regressed from it in a lot of ways.
Mods made Warband playable for a decade; I don't think you have anything to worry about.
The more we have to rely on mods to fix the basegame, the more likely there are to be lots of crashes. Also, the more time modders have to take fixing vanilla, the less time they have to expand it. And the more messy vanilla is, the fewer modders will be interested in trying to clean it up. People mostly get into modding to make cool things, not to fix bugs and balance issues.

That's why you saying: "mods will fix it so stop complaining!" is a problem.
As for the thread - the battle terrain system. This is an absolute game changer and it's crazy how little discussion this is getting.
It's not a game changer. It's a game-make-better-er. It'll still be the same game, just with much more aesthetic variety and slightly more strategy; but the fundamental gameplay of field battles won't change at all. It's a nice sounding system and I appreciate the thought and work they're putting into it, but let's not overstate it either. That's why it's not being discussed much.

That's why you saying: "mods will fix it so stop complaining!" is a problem.
I never said that. Please read the context and don't put words in my mouth; I was responding to someone about Mods - talking about mods, and the future of mods.

I even stated that Vanilla still needed work and the comparison should be between the core experiences.

The only comparisons that should be made are Vanilla Warband and Vanilla Bannerlord - in which case there are still things missing.

I was responding to Wolfsblut concern that there wouldn't be enough foundation to build mods on. Basically in summary: there is nothing to worry about there. If people can make amazing mods on Warband; they can/have done the same on bannerlord. Worry about vanilla if anything.

I was responding to Wolfsblut concern that there wouldn't be enough foundation to build mods on. Basically in summary: there is nothing to worry about there. If people can make amazing mods on Warband; they can/have done the same on bannerlord.
The thing is that-- like I said-- Bannerlord has regressed in many ways from Warband; it is missing a raft of features, and also is much less stable and balanced than Warband.

Back
Top Bottom