What Is The Likelihood Of A New Skirmish Map?

Users who are viewing this thread

At present, the first NA Bannerlord tournament is set to finish around mid August. It would really pump life into the scene to have a new map before the next tournament. Despite the myriad of issues players have been reporting, the competitive scene has still been surprisingly healthy over the last month. There have been organized matches pretty much every day and the current NA tournament has 18 teams. It wouldn't take much to keep player engagement at this level.

I understand that the map editor has been causing some issues, but with Xauna and the TDM Map fixed, I think its justified to be optimistic about some new Skirmish content.

I wish we could create maps ourselves, i would put so many hours creating skirmish maps just for fun.

I know tons of people who would also love to do the same and it might take some workload off of the devs if they had the community making free maps. It's not a new concept either, tons of games have implemented playermade maps into their official game modes and even ranked. I'm sure they have their reasons and in that case I won't argue but definitely would keep things from going too stale in between updates.

I know tons of people who would also love to do the same and it might take some workload off of the devs if they had the community making free maps. It's not a new concept either, tons of games have implemented playermade maps into their official game modes and even ranked. I'm sure they have their reasons and in that case I won't argue but definitely would keep things from going too stale in between updates.

Yes. I (and other people) will work for free. The map editor does not need to be finished or polished for us to use it. It can be a buggy mess that is unbearably convoluted and the community will still be willing to do your work for you. Its not like TW is FORCED to implement the maps we submit. If 50 maps are utter garbage and 1 is decent thats still 1 more map than we had before. It's also hours of Dev time that TW can put towards other things.

Yes. I (and other people) will work for free. The map editor does not need to be finished or polished for us to use it. It can be a buggy mess that is unbearably convoluted and the community will still be willing to do your work for you. Its not like TW is FORCED to implement the maps we submit. If 50 maps are utter garbage and 1 is decent thats still 1 more map than we had before. It's also hours of Dev time that TW can put towards other things.

My main issue with player made maps is that sometimes players lose sight of how a map should be made for a specific mode. Imagine if a map was made for Skirmish mode, and its like a super open battle field that encourages cavalry and archery and completely depreciate infantry. Skirmish maps are supposed to be small, "village-like" types of map where a small group of soldiers fight each others. I remember seeing some custom made maps in Warband for the siege mode and be like "how is that even a god damn siege ?"

My main issue with player made maps is that sometimes players lose sight of how a map should be made for a specific mode. Imagine if a map was made for Skirmish mode, and its like a super open battle field that encourages cavalry and archery and completely depreciate infantry. Skirmish maps are supposed to be small, "village-like" types of map where a small group of soldiers fight each others. I remember seeing some custom made maps in Warband for the siege mode and be like "how is that even a god damn siege ?"

This is why TW gets to keep the final veto. And for what its worth 95% of Warband battle maps (the only exceptions being Sandi and FBTR) Were all community made and held up for years. Most of them were smaller than Trading Post and the map we have now for skirmish. You are right about siege though. There was a golden age of GK mapping where we were cranking out up to 30 new maps a month. When you have that much sheer volume some of them are going to be very liberal with their interpretation of siege gameplay.

This is why TW gets to keep the final veto. And for what its worth 95% of Warband battle maps (the only exceptions being Sandi and FBTR) Were all community made and held up for years. You are right about siege though. There was a golden age of GK mapping where we were cranking out up to 30 new maps a month. When you have that much sheer volume some of them are going to be very liberal with their interpretation of siege gameplay.

By the end most of these so-called "siege" maps were villages. You'd never get a true stone castle anymore.

I cant comment on MountAndSiege, but the grand majority of GK maps were quite good.
Hmmm, I don't think so. GK siege maps were always either too easy to defend or too easy to capture. GK siege nights with 2 rounds per map always end with one team's top player having below 10 kills (in a 40v40 most of the time). Timer was 10 minutes for all maps even though all maps had different layers of defense. (some having only one so good luck defending that)

On another note, I would find it really cool if some comp maps from warband could be remade in Bannerlord. (A,B,C flags could be at the same spot as the three locations.) I feel like naval outpost or castellum would be super fun to play on skirmish for example. (with some adjustments for the size and the spawns of course)

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't think so. GK siege maps were always either too easy to defend or too easy to capture. GK siege nights with 2 rounds per map always end with one team's top player having below 10 kills (in a 40v40 most of the time). Timer was 10 minutes for all maps even though all maps had different layers of defense. (some having only one so good luck defending that)

When you came to NA GK Siege was already dead. The maps you play on in 2019 and 2020 were designed for 200 people while only 60 would be playing on it during siege nights.

On another note, I would find it really cool if some comp maps from warband could be remade in Bannerlord. (A,B,C flags could be at the same spot as the three locations.) I feel like naval outpost or castellum would be super fun to play on skirmish for example. (with some adjustments for the size and the spawns of course)

I would love to see some of the maps from Warband come back.

When you came to NA GK Siege was already dead. The maps you play on in 2019 and 2020 were designed for 200 people while only 60 would be playing on it during siege nights.

Yea; pretty much. The maps were made and balanced (for the most part) for a full server, and had extensive testing under those conditions. The drop in players was (one of) the reasons things shifted over to TDM where balance mattered less. Friday siege nights currently are a shallow recreation with "experienced" groups stacking whatever side has the advantage, usually defense because of the smaller amount of players.

Anyway, I know I want to make BL maps; and a bunch of other members of the community do as well. As soon as those tools are out people are going to be delving deep to making some really good stuff... some probably average and below average stuff as well, but that's how it goes. I would hope some people who made maps for WB would recreate them for BL; but I, personally, would feel really odd plagiarizing someone else's work like that.

castellum would be sick

Will create a new better version Naval Outpost once the map editor is released ! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom