What is the highest level you reached in a non-cheated game?

Users who are viewing this thread

michaelvillena speaks true. The A.I is rather dumb but can be surprising on the hardest settings. Even low level looters will swing earlier than usual causing them to hit your horse on the spot. Fighting high level units with throwing weapons is even harder because they can one shot you or your horse. Fighting crossbowmen and archers is easy due to the fact that their aim is precise and I can outsmart them every time causing them to precisely shoot the wrong spot. Huscarls though even if I trick them into missing still have that small chance of ignoring their actual targeted spot and randomly throwing somewhere else which may be where I am. I hate the fact that the game decides their accuracy on luck. I prefer luck over skill which is why I laugh when facing archers/crossbowmen in multiplayer or singleplayer because I can fake them into missing 90% of the time through good horse maneuvering. When facing throwing weapon enemies though I am always worried because even if they aim wrong the game might rule in their favor and decide to unluckily hit me. There is no skill in luck only noobishness.

I also play on hardest settings, I only played on easy in the first 100-200 days of my first walkthrough in the original M&B. Sure they sometimes do great tactics (when the crossbowmen stand in front of the melee units and they camp at their spawn, oh I hate when they do that), but the moment they begin charging, they start scattering and you can pick out the ones who are alone. And yes they sometimes hit you with throwing weapons when circling around trying to fool them, and even hit you in melee when they anticipate your horse speed, but with a longer weapon, you can avoid this. I used my 2-handed long great axe against them from horseback and I knew the speed of the weapon so I often got a perfect hit.
Rhodok Sergeants are different to solo I guess. I didn't do it yet so I shouldn't really comment on that one, but theorically they can kill your horse with their Glaives and then keep stunning you with blunt weapons, I'm sure they are a bigger challenge than Huscarls.

If you want survivability then start a char with 4 riding: male nomad, steppe child/page, squire, revenge. Then simply put every point into strength. 40 strength and 10 IF equals about 100hp.

With lordly armour a morningstar to crush through and a war bow you are a killing machine.

Having high health isn't a requirement if you never get hit in the first place which the horse archer great lance combo is tailored for. Still people are bound to get hit eventually with the chance mechanism on throwing weapons. Having high hp is essential on the hardest settings.

heckani said:
41 was highest - then game kinda "ended" :p so yeah. but really great fun :grin:
You can continue upgrading your beloved character by starting a new game and importing him/her. I love this feature :grin:

XAN_ said:
heckani said:
41 was highest - then game kinda "ended" :p so yeah. but really great fun :grin:
You can continue upgrading your beloved character by starting a new game and importing him/her. I love this feature :grin:

Haha true :grin: i love that feature too :grin: beast mode activated pretty much :p

Seems I am the only one who strives to be an English Dismounted knight? (Siege Crossbow, Bolts, Two Handed Sword and Poleaxe/Halberd), think I am crazy? I will meet any of you dumb Cavalry-men on the battlefield!

That's kind of how I play as well when I have enough levels to be able to survive melee (kiting with a crossbow is the best option for the first ten lvls imo). Though I tend to get one blunt and one cutting weapon on top of the crossbow (currently Heavy Iron Mace and Sword of War, though I think I'll replace this one with some longer-range polearm), instead of two cutting ones.

Wendek said:
That's kind of how I play as well when I have enough levels to be able to survive melee (kiting with a crossbow is the best option for the first ten lvls imo). Though I tend to get one blunt and one cutting weapon on top of the crossbow (currently Heavy Iron Mace and Sword of War, though I think I'll replace this one with some longer-range polearm), instead of two cutting ones.

What? how do you survive cavalry without a polearm? at earlier levels I get a spear.

I made it up to 44 once.  Then I wanted to try a different strategy and played again up to 39th.  I always play Diplomacy.  I like the just a man and his hunger thing at the beginning of the game, but its nice to watch an empire flourish under your leadership.

What? how do you survive cavalry without a polearm? at earlier levels I get a spear.
Well if I'm weak I stay mounted and use my crossbow and run. :p But I don't see the problem with Cavalry, especially since I spend the early game against Sea Raiders who use none. By the time I start fighting mounted units (Swadian usually) I have some cavalry of my own to take the big hit for me.

Basically it goes like this : I let the heavy cavalry charge and create a big clusterf*ck with enemy units, and I use my horse to go nearby. When arrived I dismount, and I start mowing people down until I get owned or there's nothing to kill anymore. Isn't that what you meant by Dismounted Knight anyway ? (I'm sorry if I'm ignorant, but I honestly don't think I had seen that term before :sad: )
Only exception is when fighting Khergits, I will often remain on horse for the added mobility because chasing them endlessly is boring. Also being on foot against them is an invitation to get Lance'd from the back.

Whaaat!how?
It's a hard and long game getting there. I think the easiest way to achieve it is using freelancer because then you can entirely focus on getting kills and thus farm the exp. However, even in a mod which had freelancer, I think I never got higher than 45. I'd have to verify though...

Edit: yeah no, my highest level currently is 39

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom