What is the easiest faction to take over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Altight, so I wanted to know what the easiest faction was to take over in Warband. There were many different answers and I just want to know which one was the easiest. Thanks.

take over? as in destroy completely? Swadia is the answer. They start in a central position and are surrounded by all sides so they usually don't last long in most games. Of course if you're looking for a side that is easiest to take over other factions with. The answer imho would be Nords or Swadia. they both have good infantry with some of the best elite units. Nord huskarls (i think warband spells it housecarl but whatever) and Swadian Knights are unstoppable on castle seiges. Again, this is my opinion and others may disagree

The sarranids are the easiest faction to take over:

1) Infantry - the worst infantry in the game and a large portion of their forces. Unless you're using fresh recruits their infantry is unlikely to cause even a single casualty to you. Since their infantry is the only thing stopping you storming the walls and slaughtering them on an even footing besides cavalry, this makes them the easiest faction to beat with infantry or dismounted cavalry in a siege

2) Archers - As archers they are superior to nord archers, but behind vaegir and khergit archers. Rhodoks sharpshooters are better, and both rhodok sharpshooters and nord archers do alright in melee. Sarranid archers are average at best and easily beaten in melee combat

3) Cavalry - Excellent on the open field, nearly as good as swadian knights. They have a high chance to spawn without shields. This means that in siege combat they are often killed quickly by missile units. Additionally the shield ones spawn with scimitars which are an amazing cavalry weapon but an average siege weapon. They do alright at holding the wall against infantry but as they make up a small portion of the enemy force they're just not enough. While their top tier cavalry mamelukes are amazing, their second to top tier horsemen dont get heavy horses and are easily dismounted where they're really not much better than sarranid infantry

Fighting sarranids on the field: Their cavalry is strong but they dont bring a lot of it. Their infantry are pathetic and their archers die easily in melee. You can either attack with pure cavalry and just charge, their mamelukes will put up a fight for a while but die to the sheer numbers and nothing else can stop you. Or you can go pure archer if you like, their horsemen will be dismounted fast and the few mamelukes wont do much by themselves. It's really hard to lose

Fighting sarranids in a siege: If you're defending then so long as your troops are decent it's easy enough. Their archers hurt but they will soon charge up the ladder and die. The infantry are useless and the mamelukes arent sufficient in number to break through. Aim for the archers to minimise your losses, their mamelukes will probably get shot. If you're attacking then either attack with mass rhodok sergeants and you will smash through their weak infantry and dominate them no problem, their 1H mamelukes scimitars whiff in very close combat but the 2H maces will hit, their infantry and archers cant fight at all in melee and the archers won't get through the sergeant tower shields. Alternatively go with a lot of  rhodok sharpshooters, their archers will cause some casualties but your sharpshooters will pick them off faster, kill the 2H mamelukes fast and break through the shields fast, and when your sharpshooters run out of ammo just make them charge in with their 1H hammers and watch them kill the infantry easily. Rhodok sharpshooters > sarranid infantry in melee!

I'd say Swadia. They're almost always at war (their Lords are usually preoccupied as a result) and none of their troops are particularly dangerous during a siege.

The easiest faction will be a faction which in war with other factions it will be really easy to take it over, thats what i did anyway.
The sarranid sultanate will be easy to take in my opinion.

In no particular order:

1. Sarranids, for the reasons KiriKaneko so ably lists.

2. Khergits, because the AI can't play them worth a damn.  Their strengths are mobility and archers, but the AI never brings enough of either to be effective.  Plus, their armor sucks (especially their helmets), and they fold like cheap lawn chairs in a defensive siege.

3. Swadians because, as noted, they usually get ganged up on and weakened enough for you to deliver a really easy death-blow.  Be prepared for everyone and his limping uncle to come after Dhirim constantly, though!

4. Vaegirs, for pretty much the same reason as the Khergits and Sarranids: the AI doesn't usually bring enough heavy-hitters to the table. Their 2-handed infantry carries good weapons that pack a big wallop but lacking shields, they're very vulnerable to missile troops.  When their infantry spawns with shields, they're worse: bad shields and meh 1-handers.  Their archers rock, but suck in melee and thus are vulnerable to infantry and cavalry, all the more so since it's so easy to kill off the infantry that's supposed to be protecting them.  Their cavalry is OK, but aren't often on the field in big enough numbers to turn the tide (same goes for their archers).  Most of their armor isn't all that great, either.

Really, the AI mostly sucks at maximizing the strengths and weaknesses of all the various factions, though the Nords and Rhodoks are, as always, the toughest.

I am with ALL too.

I.E: Kerghits can't defend their towns & castles. Rhodoks are easy to defeat in open.

It is all about attacking them appropriately, and more importantly the situation in your game. If a faction is at war with 2-3 other factions it is time to strike! Also good to be able to blitz a faction so if they are down to 2 towns & 2 castles (likely because they are at war with 2-3 factions) if you have friends in your faction you can hit them all pretty quick. Because in the end KEEPING towns & castles is the important part.

Khergits do rather a lot better in sieges than on the field surprisingly. Their horsemen are pretty decent on foot, at least equivalent to dismounted mamelukes, and their archers are rather a lot more accurate when dismounted. They're still he second or third weakest siege faction (behind or on equal footing with swadia) but certainly not the total pushover that the Sarranids are

Khergits or Sarranids are absolutely the easiest, but I suspect that's because the first faction I defeated was the Rhodoks and being able to survive through sieging their castles (how do you like a bolt in your face?) made me so much more resistant to cheap eastern horsemen.

Back
Top Bottom