What is the connection between the Bannerlord factions and Warband factions?

Users who are viewing this thread

We have 6 Warband factions: Swadia, Rhodock, Nords, Vaegirs, Khanate, Sultanate.
And 6 ( or 8 ) Bannerlod factions: Vlandia, Battania, Sturgia, Calradic Empire (Senate, Queen, Military), Khuzait, Aserai.

Some continutiy is pretty clear:
Vlandia is Swadia + Rhodock since Rhodock are Swadians rebels.
Sturgia is a clear Nords.
Khanate is Khuzait.
Sultanate is Aserai.

What about Battania, Calradic Empire and Vaegirs?

Battania is clearly based upon the Celts/Brittons, they seem to have no counterpart in Warband, which may imply their people we assimilated and died out. Some would connect them with Vaegirs since they are the only ones left, but their locations don't match up and while Battanians seem to have a Celtic/Britton culture the Vaegirs seem to have an Eastern European culture with "Boyars" for their nobles' names.

But again, the Battanias have Falxmen which were used by the Dacians so maybe they are a mix of cultures the Roman Empire/Calradic Empire considered barbarians? This is in tone with the Battanias' stance as natives of the land.

Or the Vaegirs used to be the Battanians but then climate change happened? So they went from forest wooden people to snow wooden people.

And the Calradic Empire, there seems to be no cultural continuity for them in Warband, did they all died out? Or were they assimilated by the Vlandia/Swadians?

The factions' best troops also match up:
Sultanate/Aserai -> Good cavalry.
Vaegirs/Battanian -> Good archers.
Khanate/Khuzait -> Good mounted archers.
Nords/Sturgia -> Good infantry.
Vlandia/Swadia -> Good cavalry. (Sorry Rhodocks, no good Spearmen)

Vaegirs are descendants of Sturgia. Sturgia is not purely Nordic (as a certain someone would be all too happy to assert) but they are a mix of a Nordic elite ruling over a Slavic population. Vaegirs are simply the latter half of that.

As for the calradic Empire and Battanians, they are simply gone.

It's important to remember that to an extent Bannewrlord is a bit of a soft reboot for the setting, so certain things do not have to match up 100%. If something in BL contradicts WB, BL takes precedence. (Except for the location of Sargot/Sargoth, which is apparently an oversight)

Vaegirs are descendants of Sturgia. Sturgia is not purely Nordic (as a certain someone would be all too happy to assert) but they are a mix of a Nordic elite ruling over a Slavic population. Vaegirs are simply the latter half of that.
adding to that, we learn in BL that vagir/vaegir is how the empire called mercenaries from the north like the Varangians in RL and there is also are Vagiroving clan in Sturgia that most likely split off or took/inherited the kingdom at a later date to fight the Nord invaders leading to their complete cultural rupture.

The Aserai also have a Sarran clan that most likely gave the name to the Sarranid dynasty ruling by the time of warband and the Khuzait also have a Kherjit clan that once again, either split off of took control of the khanate later on.

(Except for the location of Sargot/Sargoth, which is apparently an oversight)
giphy.gif

(Except for the location of Sargot/Sargoth, which is apparently an oversight)
I think they meant to name that town of Veluca in her ancestor, sargoth probably were mere a village in bannerlord

Khanate is Khuzait.
Sultanate is Aserai.
Vlandia + Empire = Swadia then a branch breaks off and turn into Rhodoks
Sturgia + Empire = Vaegirs
Aserai is SUltarnate
And the Khuzait is well Khuzait

The map of Warband is too smal compared to Bannerlord (which I 100% prefer), they knew how use the "bigger the better" (hahaha), probably more by the east there's more land, maybe an old reminescent of the Empire now in other name and as kingdom not Empire anymore

I think they meant to name that town of Veluca in her ancestor, sargoth probably were mere a village in bannerlord
Every single bannerlord map we had from before release had Sargot in the right place up north, only in the latest revision before release where they made a bunch of placement/ownership changes they placed it there but it was an error from the devs that they said would be fixed in a future patch that still haven't arrived more than a year later lol

World map 1
maxresdefault.jpg

World map 2
gohl6zgfgfh11.png

Every single bannerlord map we had from before release had Sargot in the right place up north, only in the latest revision before release where they made a bunch of placement/ownership changes they placed it there but it was an error from the devs that they said would be fixed in a future patch that still haven't arrived more than a year later lol
This sure seems common, doesn't it? TW says they will do something that seems simple enough, and it takes at the very least a year, and most likely more, to implement. At least you can't say they're not greatly expanding upon singleplayer and fixing multiplayer though. Oh, wait.

We have 6 Warband factions: Swadia, Rhodock, Nords, Vaegirs, Khanate, Sultanate.
And 6 ( or 8 ) Bannerlod factions: Vlandia, Battania, Sturgia, Calradic Empire (Senate, Queen, Military), Khuzait, Aserai.

Khanate is Khuzait.
Sultanate is Aserai.

What about Battania, Calradic Empire and Vaegirs?

Battania is clearly based upon the Celts/Brittons, they seem to have no counterpart in Warband, which may imply their people we assimilated and died out. Some would connect them with Vaegirs since they are the only ones left, but their locations don't match up and while Battanians seem to have a Celtic/Britton culture the Vaegirs seem to have an Eastern European culture with "Boyars" for their nobles' names.

But again, the Battanias have Falxmen which were used by the Dacians so maybe they are a mix of cultures the Roman Empire/Calradic Empire considered barbarians? This is in tone with the Battanias' stance as natives of the land.

Or the Vaegirs used to be the Battanians but then climate change happened? So they went from forest wooden people to snow wooden people.

And the Calradic Empire, there seems to be no cultural continuity for them in Warband, did they all died out? Or were they assimilated by the Vlandia/Swadians?

The factions' best troops also match up:
Sultanate/Aserai -> Good cavalry.
Vaegirs/Battanian -> Good archers.
Khanate/Khuzait -> Good mounted archers.
Nords/Sturgia -> Good infantry.
Vlandia/Swadia -> Good cavalry. (Sorry Rhodocks, no good Spearmen)
I imagine it like this.

Vlandia northern nobility involves into Swadia. Southern vlandia common folk and merchants involve into Rhodoks rebelling against the northern side.

Sturgia is Vaegir for all that is good, they do have some nord vibes, but all in all they are the future Vaegir! What I imagine for forming the Vaegir principality, It's that the northern empire started to hire Sturgian mercenaries as the civil war progressed eventually forming an elite group like the Varangian guard, over the time this personal group developed into a really strong faction within the Northern empire and after a major northern imperial succession crisis the vaegir installed a puppet ruler, over the time they took control and unified with their forefathers the Sturgians.

Skolder and Searaiders are NORDS. Well the nords lore in warband goes for saying that they invaded northern calradia and settled there, I believe that some major event happened back in their homeland, and they had to migrated as a huge force. Arriving firs in Northern Vlandia and them to the other parts of the continent.

Battania, they come to be subjugated by the Vlandians/Swadians and even by Nords. The assimilation factor is not present here, but yeah, forest bandits do the trick. If I went a little out of the line, I would compare them to Nord longbowman, but I don't like that idea.

Aserai into Sarranids, well there is and predecessor Sarranid clan in the Bannerlord Aserai, so I believe they actually took over the aserai sultanate, or were able to take western/southern empire lands nd declared independence since in bannerlord the Banu Sarran Lore is consistent on saying they're not content with the ruling clan and have some bones to pick with another major clan.

Khuzaits, well the Khergits are a Khuzait major clan, I believe they are the reason for the Calradic Empire downfall, as the Khuzaits decided to side with the empire as mercenaries or auxilia troops, the khergits could have revolted and invaded the empire causing its last breath.

So that's basically it, most definitely will have a Nords DLC or future event with a major Nord Invasion.
World map 2
Anyway, it's messy to assimilate Bannerlord lore to Warband since TW really took some creative liberty on designing the new map, I personally prefer the 2016/2017 showed maps, it made much more sense to me.

My felling on Bannerlord factions is that they are too "unique". Like kingdoms are divided by culture, I wished for something more diverse when it comes to kingdom's variety. Like 2-3 kingdom on Battanian highlands, many vlandian kingdom, many sturgians principalites and so on.

they actually spent time designing and came up with this
giphy.gif
Why not?

It's certainly not the best fantasy map I ever saw, but also certainly not the worst. I'd say they did a decent job mixing elements such as desert, plains, forest and snow in one place while making the map stil look somewhat unique. Most fantasy games just copy-paste a part from real world (looking at A Song of Ice & Fire and Warhammer Fantasy).

It's not Lord of the Rings, but better this than a copy of the Lord of the Rings map.

I only wish we had different spawn locations depending on the culture chosen, like in Warband.

Why not?

It's certainly not the best fantasy map I ever saw, but also certainly not the worst. I'd say they did a decent job mixing elements such as desert, plains, forest and snow in one place while making the map stil look somewhat unique. Most fantasy games just copy-paste a part from real world (looking at A Song of Ice & Fire and Warhammer Fantasy).

It's not Lord of the Rings, but better this than a copy of the Lord of the Rings map.

I only wish we had different spawn locations depending on the culture chosen, like in Warband.
Bro its literally Mediterranean europe/northafrica ffs they just sided scandinavia 90º

Back
Top Bottom