What is the best empire during middle ages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rashidun empire was at some point the best, maybe even surpassing the Byzantines at that time...

That Arab/Muslim empire, whatever they called it. Religious tolerance (well, more than most other places anyway :wink:), scientific mindset, damned cool geometric art. What if not civilization can make an Empire great?

Captured Joe said:
Duke Daniel Milutin said:
Mongols were uncivilized nomads which made nothing themselves and raped other tribes' women...
I thought everyone did back then...

Quiz time - which of the constructions are Mongolian? Answer before 3th November and win a smartphone!

Moscow.jpg

Roman_Aqeduct.gif

p161236-Ulaan_Bataar-Ger.jpg

Captured Joe said:
Mongols were uncivilized nomads which made nothing themselves and raped other tribes' women...
I thought everyone did back then...

Quiz time - which of the constructions are Mongolian? Answer before 3th November and win a smartphone!

Moscow.jpg

Roman_Aqeduct.gif

p161236-Ulaan_Bataar-Ger.jpg

[me=FrisianDude]files petition that the quiz is inherently flawed since the subject was the middle ages. The Roman aqueduct system is from Roman hey-day rather than the middle ages, and the Saint Basil's cathedral was  built in the sixteenth century. Therefore, both examples are not relevant to the discussion.[/me]

The Mongolians weren't able to build something that could be equivalent even in 21th century. The fact that Romans made that sht already back then just makes my point stronger.

FrisianDude said:
No, it doesn't, because the Roman age is typically seen as having higher technology than the middle ages.
That was a strange point of view, as the Roman Empire lasted till 15th century. Japan and China had very advanced technology compared to the Germanic barbarians too. The Mongols didn't. Their life was all about hunting, riding, sacking and raping - So calling them the "best" empire is just wrong. It was a Empire none except of them wanted to live in.

Subjects wanting or not wanting to live in an empire has nothing to do with whether it was an empire or not.

It's also a dumb comparison. The Mongols didn't need to build buildings like that, so they didn't. Compare instead their extensive messenger network, which was needed to hold their vast empire together. The world had never seen anything like it before, and didn't again until the modern age.

As for their barbarism... Well, considering that the Romans were, from a modern viewpoint, basically the most barbaric, uncivilized culture to have existed in Europe, that doesn't really say a lot. So they raped and pillaged. So did everybody else. Rome built her whole economy on raping and pillaging other lands. So the Mongols deliberately used horrifying tactics as psychological warfare. Romans routinely decimated their own armies just to instill some twisted form of morale-by-peer-pressure. Not to mention the damned crucifixions. Yet noone would deny that Rome was a great empire.

!!noice!! said:
As for their barbarism... Well, considering that the Romans were, from a modern viewpoint, basically the most barbaric, uncivilized culture to have existed in Europe, that doesn't really say a lot. So they raped and pillaged. So did everybody else. Rome built her whole economy on raping and pillaging other lands. So the Mongols deliberately used horrifying tactics as psychological warfare. Romans routinely decimated their own armies just to instill some twisted form of morale-by-peer-pressure. Not to mention the damned crucifixions. Yet noone would deny that Rome was a great empire.
Like a historian. That words are true.

The Mongols were cruel even by contemporary standards. The Romans no.

Btw are we talking about middle ages(800-1453)? Or dark ages(476-800)?

I have to go with the Eastern Roman Empire on this one.

Durability for one thing. Coupled with a sophisticated state aparatus. And a flexible adaptable proffesional army. Oh and that its end is the symbolic end of the middle ages. Certainly not the Ottomans though. Their golden era was the early reinassance.

I feel that the known history on Mongols here is limited, but I may be wrong.

Depends on the Mongolians
Under Genghis they actually weren't TOO bad, torture was strictly prohibited and it was preferable to take captives as opposed to killing. Town's weren't burnt down unless they fought back and effort was made to minimize casualties.
Also, they tried to be as peaceful as possible with their neighbors, many wars were started by the other side.
The mongol Empire actually had pretty damn happy citizens overall, since every country they were in saw MASSIVE cultural and scientific advances in all areas.
Of course, under tamer the lame, it was completely different, and they were basically savages, but that was after the collapse of the mongol empire.

So yeah, original Mongols were no worse than anyone else, and at times better than most others.
Later Mongols were a bunch of pricks.

Also, if you think they didn't build a thing? ever heard of Karakorum, trade, cultural and religious center of the second largest land empire in histroy?

NTS: They built some of the greatest structures in history, after conquering many lands they focused on cultural advances and they were in debt due to the fact that they spent large amounts of money on VERY LARGE CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS. I take my leave.

Back
Top Bottom