What is the actual reason we can't get server files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Let me start off by saying: I'm well aware this topic has been talked about a lot already and everybody is waiting for the ability to host custom servers.

On that note, what I actually want to know is, what's the actual reason we can't get the servers? Where is the problem? Maybe a MP Dev like @AVRC or @NIN3 can give some insight. Because as of right now everyone's frustrated because of the servers. And it's not like there wouldn't be enough people trying to do fun events now already.
One example of clans trying to what custom servers would enable us to do (which is coordinated, fun gameplay) is the joint effort of KoH, Hess, PV, SFB, CRBR, and BRE when organizing our weekly Sunday Siege event. Just to give you an idea of the scale, this Sunday, we've been able to fill up a whole siege server almost entirely by ourselves. At least 100/120 players on the siege server that evening were from our clans. The issue is that this coordinated gameplay can be disturbed by people trolling / abusing game mechanics (opening the gate as defender / rushing G as attacker and so on)
Another example, where we (luckily) were able to play on a custom server, was the brilliant "Massacre in Druimmor Forest" hosted by Hawkband. The 120 slots for that event were gone within 1 hour. This event (due to being free of trolls and well coordinated) was an absolute blast for all players involved.
These examples should show that there's quite a big interest in having custom servers. So now I gotta ask: Why don't we have any? Is there a technical reason or are focusing on the competitive aspect of the game (skirmish) a little bit too much (not gonna complain about some good balancing & stuff cause I also enjoy playing skirmish, but you know what I get at)? It would help both the player-base and the developers if everyone was aware of what's the actual issue / reason as to why we don't have custom servers yet.

It'd be greatly appreciated if someone from the Dev team could give us some insight on this.
Also, please don't derail this post. Everybody knows you / we want custom servers. This post is asking for the actual reason (hoping to get a response from TW not from some people speculating over the reason, I can do that myself) as to why there is no way to host custom servers yet.

553340ef3b9a0670c69a7d84eb6b948d.jpg

Maybe they want control over data they collect. If people started playing 30 player skirmish, it would skew stats.

*Edit* when did Warband get custom servers? Did TW state something then maybe?

There is no speculation, they've already said it. It's not in their priority. I don't know what else you expect them to explain. The MP being severely undermanned by TW just proves that point.

Private servers are the lifeblood of Mount & Blade multiplayer. Server owners offer a service to the community which brings players together and allows them to enjoy the game in a way in which we as a company are simply unable to. Community events, tournaments, new game modes and custom maps are just some of the ways in which people benefit from the generosity, dedication and hard work of these valued community members, and without them, the multiplayer side of the game would be a lesser experience.

I can imagine that they have a lot of hardcoded stuff that would lead to crashes if custom servers were allowed. Remember that TW reverted friendly fire in siege because it seemingly caused connection losses from the lobby.

I can imagine that they have a lot of hardcoded stuff that would lead to crashes if custom servers were allowed. Remember that TW reverted friendly fire in siege because it seemingly caused connection losses from the lobby.
Doubt, they sometimes allow the hosting of custom servers because it slipped by and you can see several servers pop up from time to time after a patch, always fixed very quickly. From what i remember they disabled custom server sending packets from itself to clients deliberately, after the whole misteroutoftime hosting custom servers.

I feel like it makes more sense for them to release servers as they obviously dont care about the multiplayer... put every mp dev on releasing files and be done with it since mp isnt thier money maker. Could it be that they are holding off to add microtransactions?

I feel like it makes more sense for them to release servers as they obviously dont care about the multiplayer... put every mp dev on releasing files and be done with it since mp isnt thier money maker. Could it be that they are holding off to add microtransactions?
Saying they don't care is a little unfair; I'm sure they would love bannerlord to be a MP success. More likely it's just not their priority right now; everyone is hands on deck working on SP right now and to be fair I don't blame them. Get the core game working first - then worry about MP.

Sure it sucks; sure it would be nice to see some movement on MP beyond small balancing changes. But Bannerlord will live or die on the quality of the SP campaign; not MP. That's just is as it is.

Saying they don't care is a little unfair; I'm sure they would love bannerlord to be a MP success. More likely it's just not their priority right now; everyone is hands on deck working on SP right now and to be fair I don't blame them. Get the core game working first - then worry about MP.

Sure it sucks; sure it would be nice to see some movement on MP beyond small balancing changes. But Bannerlord will live or die on the quality of the SP campaign; not MP. That's just is as it is.
In the meantime each day they don't release servers, all MP mods are delayed by another day. It's absurd.

The whole reason warband survived was because of mods. The SP alone isn't going to carry bannerlord. I highly doubt many people bought the game only for vanilla.

In the meantime each day they don't release servers, all MP mods are delayed by another day. It's absurd.

The whole reason warband survived was because of mods. The SP alone isn't going to carry bannerlord. I highly doubt many people bought the game only for vanilla.
MP Mods are delayed; but SP mods have everything they need. They are already starting to drop big changes.

Again yes - it's MP being shafted but M&B has always been about it's SP at it's core. I have 1000's of hours of multiplayer; much more then SP but I have to admit that.

Fact is we have been sidelined; and though it sucks.... I can't help but agree with the logic. 95%+ players on bannerlord are playing only singleplayer right now. A big change for SP has a dramatically bigger effect on the overall perceived value of the game then any MP change right now and will do for the foreseeable. Yeah sure maybe that is cause & effect; the reason everyone plays SP is because of the lack of MP changes... but doesn't change the fact that SP bannerlord is what the game is right now.

MP Mods are delayed; but SP mods have everything they need. They are already starting to drop big changes.

Again yes - it's MP being shafted but M&B has always been about it's SP at it's core. I have 1000's of hours of multiplayer; much more then SP but I have to admit that.

Fact is we have been sidelined; and though it sucks.... I can't help but agree with the logic. 95%+ players on bannerlord are playing only singleplayer right now. A big change for SP has a dramatically bigger effect on the overall perceived value of the game then any MP change right now and will do for the foreseeable. Yeah sure maybe that is cause & effect; the reason everyone plays SP is because of the lack of MP changes... but doesn't change the fact that SP bannerlord is what the game is right now.

If you release a game with both MP and SP prospect, dont be surprised theres more players in SP if you put 95% of your efforts on SP and release MP as a big pile of steamy turd. If SP was released crappy as hell and MP super polished it would be the other way around.

If you release a game with both MP and SP prospect, dont be surprised theres more players in SP if you put 95% of your efforts on SP and release MP as a big pile of steamy turd. If SP was released crappy as hell and MP super polished it would be the other way around.
I disagree; the original Mount and blade didn't even have MP - Warband had a huge population difference between Sp & MP. There is truth in what you say; but at the same time if Elder Scrolls 6 dropped with brilliant MP (some sort of slasher I guess) and a terrible SP campaign - it would not be considered a success story.

Anyway be that as it may - we are where we are. If a dev makes a new battle scene for Singleplayer; it will be played and enjoyed by 10's of thousands of players. If a dev makes a new MP map - it will be played by hundreds. A sad truth but there we are - it's easy to see where the value is.

And... though it seems crap to us right now it does make a certain amount of sense to try and get the major part of the game (the part that will be the focus of the majority of the reviews) up to a good point before tackling the MP part.

A game studio that has just racked so much sales would at least considering expanding it's studio.

I thought we still had very limited mod tools. A video i saw from the starwars modders recently said that they can only really work on maps/models but not actually change code (work on animations and other stuff) any more than before the tools were released. This gives me the impression that sp and mp mod teams are in a similar boat only being able to work on limited cosmetics besides that mp mods cant even be released in a partially completed state like the sp ones we are slowly getting now

Back
Top Bottom