What is going on with the armour 3d modelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think there's a real way of increasing HP in units, which is part of why elites don't feel exceptional compared to some looter. The underwhelming passive boosts from stats doesn't help either.

And even with that armour, they're still kind of frail. Their wolfhead helmet makes them so easy to kill its not funny. What they need is a new helmet, some sort of wolfhead over a helmet. They wouldn't be so bad that way.

I'm kind of curious about whether that helmet has any real historical basis to it or not. Can't say I've ever seen ravioli masks around. Its one thing to be ugly, but inspired by history, but another to just make something so goofy from nothing.

Well they are as they say glass canons but with throwables to so its fair enough. They usually one hit everything even myself when i go up against em so they are filling their function as they should and are fast to add. But ive seen one fighting and being surrounded by 3 looters and almost killed a 4th before going down so they where not that fragile as people portrayed em to be. Also even if they went down it was´nt certain they died as usual in the game mechanic. Personally i thought they where better then the Berserkers then.. Even if Bersekers had chainmail and helmet they felt a bit clunkier and with no throwable to use behind shield walls

ps. i actually had it recorded from my last berserker playthru ^^

Last edited:
I don't think there's a real way of increasing HP in units, which is part of why elites don't feel exceptional compared to some looter. The underwhelming passive boosts from stats doesn't help either.

And even with that armour, they're still kind of frail. Their wolfhead helmet makes them so easy to kill its not funny. What they need is a new helmet, some sort of wolfhead over a helmet. They wouldn't be so bad that way.

I'm kind of curious about whether that helmet has any real historical basis to it or not. Can't say I've ever seen ravioli masks around. Its one thing to be ugly, but inspired by history, but another to just make something so goofy from nothing.
Haha, they also look like tacked on UFO sweets. It looks like a lot of things but great is not one of them. I think the shape is historically accurate but I don't think those brass rectangles are.

Here's a good looking example.
Kievan rus helmet 1, looks cool and intimidating

Kievan rus helmet 2

Last edited:
eff5da78d4.png
71dcc63959.png

lol
Is that real and ingame?!

Like most of the stuff in the game, it's very vaguely inspired by a bunch of sources, most of it ahistorical, pop cultural or ceremonial.

M-Jan19-Peipus-1.jpg
7fca74f465701b17fa93398d1135a572.jpg

The idea that you can use lamellar mail as a coif is just ridiculous, it would be almost impossible to turn your head properly.

Like most of the stuff in the game, it's very vaguely inspired by a bunch of sources, most of it ahistorical, pop cultural or ceremonial.

M-Jan19-Peipus-1.jpg
7fca74f465701b17fa93398d1135a572.jpg

The idea that you can use lamellar mail as a coif is just ridiculous, it would be almost impossible to turn your head properly.
Yeah, helmets like those and El Capitan are all I've seen. Trying to look specifically for condom coifs and... nothing.

I wouldn't mind ahistorical or pop cultural too much if it fits in and looks good... but well that helmet doesn't look good.

I'm glad we're discussing all this, it's more I'm in line with what's being said (I swear I've had private conversations about raviolis helmet // I think Marko was referring to the cutting of the chain mail, maybe?). However, as a suggestion I would like to refocus the debate towards the current assets, those that are in the oven and those to come than those that are already developed. Basically because it is more likely to have eventual modifications in the "new" models than integral in the old ones. Look at how long it has taken to renew the sheep model :iamamoron:

On a more serious note, I want you to understand the nature of the thread itself, this is a criticism of what is currently being produced, not against what has been produced (that is for another thread, we even had our debate in Creative Unit Aesthetics). I don't understand how this type of finishing (I emphasize again; the concept right, the 3d modeling wrong) comes to us in such a way. This has no place either for the SP item pool or for the cosmetic "system" that was "supposed" to be implemented for the pre-defined class system for the MP section.

Bannerlord is according to the devs an Action RPG / Strategy sandbox where the armor and other battle assets MUST have a fundamental importance regardless of the secondary condition that the graphics can form.

Last edited:
In my list of things that really bug me about the game right now, quality of the assets is pretty far down the list.
The good news is that the people who model assets are usual completely different people to those who code the engine or balance campaign features. Because if you think about it, apart from using a mouse, these people dont need to have any skills in common :razz:

I'm glad we're discussing all this, it's more I'm in line with what's being said (I swear I've had private conversations about raviolis helmet // I think Marko was referring to the cutting of the chain mail, maybe?). However, as a suggestion I would like to refocus the debate towards the current assets, those that are in the oven and those to come than those that are already developed. Basically because it is more likely to have eventual modifications in the "new" models than integral in the old ones. Look at how long it has taken to renew the sheep model :iamamoron:

On a more serious note, I want you to understand the nature of the thread itself, this is a criticism of what is currently being produced, not against what has been produced (that is for another thread, we even had our debate in Creative Unit Aesthetics). I don't understand how this type of finishing (I emphasize again; the concept right, the 3d modeling wrong) comes to us in such a way. This has no place either for the SP item pool or for the cosmetic "system" that was "supposed" to be implemented for the pre-defined class system for the MP section.

Bannerlord is according to the devs an Action RPG / Strategy sandbox where the armor and other battle assets MUST have a fundamental importance regardless of the secondary condition that the graphics can form.
I think the best chain mail example I've seen is probably the Battanian woodland chain mail armour. You can see that it has weight and thickness which the new Battanian armour lacks. You can also clearly see that there is layering of mail and fur unlike the new ones where the mail and tartan piece blends.

If you want to see another bad example of chain mail, check out the Sturgian Northern Hauberk, It seems like the quality of armour model is very inconsistent. They need to set a standard for what is acceptable quality, is it really that difficult to separate chain mail from cloth?

Last edited:
I think the best chain mail example I've seen is probably the Battanian woodland chain mail armour. You can see that it has weight and thickness which the new Battanian armour lacks. You can also clearly see that there is layering of mail and fur unlike the new ones where the mail and tartan piece blends.

If you want to see another bad example of chain mail, check out the Sturgian Northern Hauberk, It seems like the quality of armour model is very inconsistent. They need to set a standard for what is acceptable quality, is it really that difficult to separate chain mail from cloth?

Yep, I agree.

I feel the same way. But im not an artist
And me.

It's a shame the tartan is a fixed colour though, rather than taking the colour of your faction as some other armours do (and the check pattern of the woodland garment does).

Last edited:
Yep, I agree.
Oddly enough, I actually kind of disliked the woodland chainmail at first. It looked too 'barbarian' and not truly 'celtic'. Now here I am liking it for being well designed as opposed to the more 'authentic' stuff we've had that look subpar by comparison.

The real problem with all this is that there has not been a direction that sets a minimum standard; here everyone (different 3d modellers) has done what they wanted.
I refer to the facts, how many textures of mail are there in Bannerlord? Why is there a noticeable difference in texture quality between them?

Curiously enough, my favourite mail texture is not applied to any body armour, but to certain head gear. Notice how far apart the two textures of the coif and the "new" battanian armour are in terms of quality. Abysmal.The rings of the coif have the right size, brightness, volume and colour. The rings of the new model...oh boi...

Vxrza.jpg

The rings of different chain mail assemblies on the right side of the image are real examples of where Bannerlord could be inspired. They are not in-game textures

In Bannerlord we find quite another mess with the mail... we find models where we can see noticeable differences in quality (low resolution), size and brightness.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be logical to use a single texture of mail available in every texture pool for any 3d modeller?

Last edited:
The real problem with all this is that there has not been a direction that sets a minimum standard; here everyone (different 3d modellers) has done what they wanted.
I refer to the facts, how many textures of mail are there in Bannerlord? Why is there a noticeable difference in texture quality between them?

Curiously enough, my favourite mail texture is not applied to any body armour, but to certain head gear. Notice how far apart the two textures of the coif and the "new" battanian armour are in terms of quality. Abysmal.The rings of the coif have the right size, brightness, volume and colour. The rings of the new model...oh boi...

Vxrza.jpg

In Bannerlord we find quite another mess with the mail... we find models where we can see noticeable differences in quality (low resolution), size and brightness.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be logical to use a single texture of mail available in every texture pool for any 3d modeller?
I have no idea why they even went for different textures to begin with. Cobbling a bunch of different mail sets together blends really poorly.

The mail shoulders are the absolute worst offenders.

I don't know if the mod tools are going to allow it, but if they do, I'm thinking of trying to modify all the chain mail meshes. It just bothers me too much.

They don't even necessarily have to do that, plenty of games with chainmail in them have different textures but don't look as incongruous as this.
I was shortening things up... you know :lol: . If I had my way, each faction would have its own different textures in terms of armour. A magic touch of substance designer and voilà.
D04cwBfWoAAZaau

Back
Top Bottom